8 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: City States Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rey Tansiongco
Philippines
flag msg tools
Here's something I'm curious about if it's implemented: City-states.
Please review and give comment, and I haven't tested it yet, and would welcome if any of you are curious about trying it out.

What are City States?
In relation to the game, city-states are autonomous one city nations that player civilizations could create relations with. When their trust is gained, they provide bonus tribute to the trusted player.

City State generation
City states, are generated from village tokens that are from newly discovered tiles that are 1 tile apart from any player's home tile. This means that cities states will usually be found at the center parts of the map, which can make them easily contested. I'll try illustrating:
legend: X - unexplored tile, C - civilization tile, O - tile where city state can be discovered.

3 player map
----C---
---X-X--
-X-O-X-
C-X-X-C

4 player map
CXXC
XOOX
XOOX
CXXC in the case of 4 player maps, I think city states should be limited to the first 2 to be uncovered.
I have not tested 5 player maps yet, and 2 player maps seem boring. XD

When a player uncovers a map tile, the village token is turned over and becomes considered a city state. The revealed token will determine what kind of city state it is. If it is iron or uranium, it becomes a militaristic CS. If it is incense or a spy, it becomes a cultural CS. If it is silk or wheat, it becomes a mercantile CS. If it is neither of the above, discard the token and draw a new village token and repeat until any of the 3 mentioned resources are revealed.

If there are 2 village tokens in the uncovered map tile, the village token farthest away from the tile arrow becomes the city-state.

As long as the city state stands, then no player can build cities three squares away from it.

Gaining the trust of City States and protecting it
To gain trust, a player must just simply move a scout figure to the marker and sacrifice that scout. Place a caravan marker to the side of the city-state token, pointing to the player's capital city, denoting which player the city has its allegiance to.

If a city state becomes allied to a player, the player can move an army figure on the outskirts(surrounding 8 tiles) of the city state to "protect" the city state. As long as at least 1 allied army figure stays in the outskirts, no other player could move in to sacrifice his/her scout and sway that city-state's allegiance.

If unprotected, an enemy player could gain the city-state's trust by moving in a scout on the marker and sacrificing it, the caravan marker is then moved so that it would point to the capital of the new allied player.

The first player to gain a city-state's trust gains a "first prize", which vary from state to state.

The Kinds of City-States
There are 3 city states, the bonus they give depends on the current age. Ancient age is the default
Medieval age starts when all players have at least 2 lvl II techs, or when any player reaches a lvl III tech.
Modern age starts when all players have at least 2 lvl III techs, or when any player reaches a lvl IV tech.
Bonuses of each age are cumulative
To know the age of the city-state, try stacking it with another discarded village marker for ease

Cultural City State
generated by: incense and spy tokens
first prize: advance twice in the culture track
turn tribute:
*ancient era: gain 1 culture token
*medieval era: gain 1 additional culture token (total: 2)
*modern era: gain 1 additional culture token (total: 3) and the city state can pay 1 trade when paying for advancing in the culture track. Additionally, add 1 wound token every turn, for every 2nd token, draw a random great person.

Mercantile City State
generated by: silk and wheat tokens
first prize: receive a free coin
turn tribute:
*ancient era: distribute 2 hammers to any of your cities
*medieval era: add 1 wound token every turn, for every 2 wound tokens gained (2nd turn) gain 1 random resource from the market.
*modern era: gain 1 permanent coin as long as you are allied to the city state. Also, gain +3 trade every turn, +1 more trade if you have 3 cities.

Militaristic City State
generated by: iron and uranium tokens
first prize: receive 1 free unit, drawn from the deck with the lowest rank for that player.
turn tribute:
*ancient era: add 1 wound token every turn. On the 3rd wound token (3rd turn) gain a free random non-aircraft unit.
*medieval era: gain 2 combat bonus. Once per turn, when you build a new unit, the CS will reduce its hammer cost by 3 hammers.
*modern era: Increase combat bonus from 2 to 4. CS contribution on unit building is now 4 hammers and can be done twice per turn but on different cities.

The defences of a City State
The city states are not mere barbarian villages, they will have a standing army.
On the ancient era, they will have a battlehand size of 4; they receive a combat bonus of +3
In the medieval era, their battlehand size is increased to 6; the rank of their units are lvl 2; their city receives a +6 combat bonus; when all players reach level III technology, all city states gain walls with all its benefits.
In the modern era, they will have a battlehand size of 7; they gain 1 fortification marker adding a +2 combat bonus permanently (will not be removed after battle); the rank of their units are lvl 3; if all players reach lvl IV tech, the rank of one of their unit types of the allied player's choice becomes lvl 4.

Destroying City States
When a city state becomes more of a thorn rather than an opportunity, a civilization can chose to destroy it. They simply attack it like they would attack a village. A destroyed city state will provide loot depending on the era.
ancient: gain the face up token + 1 unknown village token
medieval: gain an additional coin
modern: gain an additional investment token(if mercantile CS), 9 culture tokens(if cultural CS), 1 great general marker with no card(if militaristic CS).

This variant is designed to be played with FaF.

Edit: Considered Halpo's suggestions and made some tweaks. Tell me what you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Chen
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
3 and 4 wound tokens takes too long. Should be 2, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Tansiongco
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hmmm, I thought that 2-3 wound tokens for the militaristic CS bonus might make the player overpowered with lots of units. And Anything less of a 3 turn generation of random resources from mercantile CS could give the player a great advantage in gaining coins and great person.

But like I said, it needs play-testing. My gaming group is a bit busy for the following weeks.

I think Militaristic CS could reduce unit generation to 3 turns, and a different bonus for its modern era.

My goal was to make CS a point of political interaction among the players but not make it so that having it will greatly make a player's game easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Chen
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Each game lasts no more than 10 turns with experienced players. By the time you manage to move a scout to a city-state, it'll already be turn 3. If you befriend a militaristic city-state, you'll only get the unit bonus once, and at the very end of the game.

It'll take at least 5 turns for the medieval era to come along, leaving only 5 turns to accumulate bonuses. Which means if you befriend a mercantile early, you'd only be getting 1 resource before someone wins.

If one player decides to go culture, or is just severly crippled by an opponent, it'll take 10 turns to reach the modern age (possibly 8 or 9, with Russia or lots of tech exchanges.) By then the game is nearly over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Tansiongco
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hmmm, in my defense, my gaming group last more than 15+ turns and mind you we don't often win with tech victory. I guess it has something to do with me creating a culture of distrust right from the start

anyway, do you think it be viable if the turns to generate resources or units are greatly reduced??? Or maybe a different tribute instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Chen
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
A market resource every turn would be balanced for Merc medieval IMO. Or extra trade each turn and a resource every two turns.

A unit every 2 turns would be fine for Milt. ancient as well, and then the medieval bonus could be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Tansiongco
Philippines
flag msg tools
Kinda resurrecting the thread here, but I just got back from a trip to the province and I was only able to read this lately.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions Halpo
I've done some modifications on the main post, tweaking the militaristic and the mercantile city states.

Basically here's what I changed:

Cultural CS
modern bonus: reduced great person generation to 2 turns

Mercantile CS
medieval bonus: reduced resource generation to 2 turns and added a trade bonus
modern bonus: turned it into a permanent coin bonus

Militaristic CS
ancient bonus: unit generation is now 3 turns
medieval bonus: Zone of Control is gone, replaced by the CS paying some of the hammers whenever you build a unit.
modern bonus: enhancements of the medieval bonus

My gaming group haven't tested it yet, but soon. For now I present it to forum for scrutiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Tansiongco
Philippines
flag msg tools
*bump*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.