Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: What games do WW players want? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Alright, so I looked over the last couple of pages in The Village Square and I didn't see a comparable thread.

I've been making comments as of late that I enjoy moderating a great deal more than playing. However, even when I drop proven games into signup, getting players is like trying to catch wind with a net.

I know that 'Patience is a virtue' and players will eventually arrive, but is there something that people are looking for? Mechanics, themes, big games, little games?

I guess the main point of this thread is:

What do YOU, as a player, want to see in signup?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Alright, so I looked over the last couple of pages in The Village Square and I didn't see a comparable thread.

I've been making comments as of late that I enjoy moderating a great deal more than playing. However, even when I drop proven games into signup, getting players is like trying to catch wind with a net.

I know that 'Patience is a virtue' and players will eventually arrive, but is there something that people are looking for? Mechanics, themes, big games, little games?

I guess the main point of this thread is:

What do YOU, as a player, want to see in signup?


Cowbell.
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see more scheduled games so I can minimize overlap and conflicts without feeling like I'm missing out on games I want to play.

SWF games are great and I really enjoy those, but I can (will) only play so many games at the same time, so even if there are a lot of great SWF games I'd normally sign-up for currently available, I can only commit to a manageable number of those (and I'm trying to keep my concurrent games at 1-2, so I often end up missing out on games I'd otherwise play because they are offered competitively with others I'm slightly more interested in or that fit my schedule better).

I'm not as selective on the type of Scheduled games I would like to see, but I'd just like explicit scheduled options instead of having SWF games dependent on larger/scheduled games finishing prior to start (which makes them effectively scheduled, but in a way that's neither obvious, nor completely convenient to all players who signed up).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
LOL. Smart-ass.

That was helpful.



Whoops. Cross-posted with Rgatti. Obviously my comment was directed at Valk.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Valkerie32 wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Alright, so I looked over the last couple of pages in The Village Square and I didn't see a comparable thread.

I've been making comments as of late that I enjoy moderating a great deal more than playing. However, even when I drop proven games into signup, getting players is like trying to catch wind with a net.

I know that 'Patience is a virtue' and players will eventually arrive, but is there something that people are looking for? Mechanics, themes, big games, little games?

I guess the main point of this thread is:

What do YOU, as a player, want to see in signup?


Cowbell.


Well, more of it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
LOL. Smart-ass.

That was helpful.



Whoops. Cross-posted with Rgatti. Obviously my comment was directed at Valk.

laugh
For me it's about the people, so it's not something you have much control over. Selena says "come play with me, Val" and I do. I'm going to be just as bad with something complicated as something simple. I have enjoyed games geared toward being in character, or with posting restrictions since it makes you be creative, and I think that's fun. Sorry I don't have a better answer.
kiss
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
I'd like to see more scheduled games so I can minimize overlap and conflicts without feeling like I'm missing out on games I want to play.

SWF games are great and I really enjoy those, but I can (will) only play so many games at the same time, so even if there are a lot of great SWF games I'd normally sign-up for currently available, I can only commit to a manageable number of those (and I'm trying to keep my concurrent games at 1-2, so I often end up missing out on games I'd otherwise play because they are offered competitively with others I'm slightly more interested in or that fit my schedule better).

I'm not as selective on the type of Scheduled games I would like to see, but I'd just like explicit scheduled options instead of having SWF games dependent on larger/scheduled games finishing prior to start (which makes them effectively scheduled, but in a way that's neither obvious, nor completely convenient to all players who signed up).


What does SWF mean? Because I'm so old that to me it's classified speak for Single White Female, and that doesn't seem right. Also, get off my lawn, and get a haircut.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
rgatti wrote:
I'd like to see more scheduled games so I can minimize overlap and conflicts without feeling like I'm missing out on games I want to play.

SWF games are great and I really enjoy those, but I can (will) only play so many games at the same time, so even if there are a lot of great SWF games I'd normally sign-up for currently available, I can only commit to a manageable number of those (and I'm trying to keep my concurrent games at 1-2, so I often end up missing out on games I'd otherwise play because they are offered competitively with others I'm slightly more interested in or that fit my schedule better).

I'm not as selective on the type of Scheduled games I would like to see, but I'd just like explicit scheduled options instead of having SWF games dependent on larger/scheduled games finishing prior to start (which makes them effectively scheduled, but in a way that's neither obvious, nor completely convenient to all players who signed up).


What does SWF mean? Because I'm so old that to me it's classified speak for Single White Female, and that doesn't seem right. Also, get off my lawn, and get a haircut.

SWF=Starts When Full

I had to ask the same question (and had the same interpretation of the acronym when I first saw it posted in some games' titles).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Valkerie32 wrote:

What does SWF mean? Because I'm so old that to me it's classified speak for Single White Female, and that doesn't seem right. Also, get off my lawn, and get a haircut.

SWF=Starts When Full

I had to ask the same question (and had the same interpretation of the acronym when I first saw it posted in some games' titles).

Ah, yeah. That makes way more sense. Danke.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
Avatar
mb
- A game with lynch at 6am, perfect for my lunch break.
- Strip-werewolf.
- A combination of both.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And kidding about the hair, you look fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:
- A game with lynch at 6am, perfect for my lunch break.
- Strip-werewolf.
- A combination of both.

I'd play that..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
Valkerie32 wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Alright, so I looked over the last couple of pages in The Village Square and I didn't see a comparable thread.

I've been making comments as of late that I enjoy moderating a great deal more than playing. However, even when I drop proven games into signup, getting players is like trying to catch wind with a net.

I know that 'Patience is a virtue' and players will eventually arrive, but is there something that people are looking for? Mechanics, themes, big games, little games?

I guess the main point of this thread is:

What do YOU, as a player, want to see in signup?


Cowbell.


Well, more of it.


Yes this.

I want a game where I come out of it feeling like it was the experience of a lifetime.

When I mod a game, I want my players to feel that way. It not easily or often attainable, but that's what makes it a good goal.

Quality over quantity I think is what I'm getting at. More cowbell, less guitar hero.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
PeteVasi wrote:
Yes this.

I want a game where I come out of it feeling like it was the experience of a lifetime.

When I mod a game, I want my players to feel that way. It not easily or often attainable, but that's what makes it a good goal.

Quality over quantity I think is what I'm getting at. More cowbell, less guitar hero.


I'd like the board to have a semi-consistent output of easy games to maintain accessibility and promote new involvement - as a gap filler. As a way to sort of keep things together. Sort of maintain levity and keep the flow

I think, in a way, though, it's gotten to be the main element, instead. It's sort of grown out of control. We also have a lot of repetition. P11 #56 and Texas Werewolf #39. No offense to the moderators of those games. Those games ARE fun - just a general thought on the status of the board.

People don't make a game night to play For Sale. They create a game night to play Die Macher. We need need some badass games. They do take more development...and maybe it's just people like me being lazy about getting to work about their ideas as much as the influx of the simpler games.

We need more cowbell. I'd be doing myself a disservice...and every member of this board, if I didn’t perform the HELL out of this!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 5 half full p11s in sign up.

I think if one or two of the rolesets you want to run is in sign up already it'd be worth not adding to that until they've been played. Possibly a way to 'queue' games would be to put repeats in at a specified date as opposed to SWF.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In other news I would like to see jage/murph co-mod a diplomacy game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I'd be up for hooking up with Mr. Roxorz.

I wouldn't mind seeing some quality reduxes, too. Maybe games that have never been reduxed and are sort of hidden gems. Good games need played more than once.

Domino Effect coming back was a great idea. CSW was successful. I think that people who want to mod but don't want to develop a big game should maybe grab a redux instead of another P11, Texas, or one of the recent variations. Take a gaze at a game somewhere from 300-1000.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jamgar wrote:
There are 5 half full p11s in sign up.

I think if one or two of the rolesets you want to run is in sign up already it'd be worth not adding to that until they've been played. Possibly a way to 'queue' games would be to put repeats in at a specified date as opposed to SWF.

I'd be a little bit cautious on cutting back on the P11s (or similar smaller games) unless they are lingering in sign-up for far too long. From experience and observation, P11s tend to get a lot of churn and fill up rather quickly (often with the same/similar players). However, the other reason I think you see a lot of them in sign-up is that they tend to be a fairly safe/simple role set for first-time/new moderators.

Though, I do agree that there should be some coordination between P11 moderators (or wannabe moderators) to reduce competition, especially if the fill-rate for these games slows.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this thread is for requesting what players wants, I'd also like:

More games with lynch times in the range of 11PM-3AM.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I'd be up for hooking up with Mr. Roxorz.

I wouldn't mind seeing some quality reduxes, too. Maybe games that have never been reduxed and are sort of hidden gems. Good games need played more than once.

Domino Effect coming back was a great idea. CSW was successful. I think that people who want to mod but don't want to develop a big game should maybe grab a redux instead of another P11, Texas, or one of the recent variations. Take a gaze at a game somewhere from 300-1000.


We tried, never got enough people interested. I think there's still one floating in sign-up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
jamgar wrote:
There are 5 half full p11s in sign up.

I think if one or two of the rolesets you want to run is in sign up already it'd be worth not adding to that until they've been played. Possibly a way to 'queue' games would be to put repeats in at a specified date as opposed to SWF.

I'd be a little bit cautious on cutting back on the P11s (or similar smaller games) unless they are lingering in sign-up for far too long. From experience and observation, P11s tend to get a lot of churn and fill up rather quickly (often with the same/similar players). However, the other reason I think you see a lot of them in sign-up is that they tend to be a fairly safe/simple role set for first-time/new moderators.

Though, I do agree that there should be some coordination between P11 moderators (or wannabe moderators) to reduce competition, especially if the fill-rate for these games slows.


Sometimes, I just want to play no-frills werewolf, and simple games are perfect for that.

I wouldn't compare those P11's and others to "for sale", because they're full games in their own right.

Maybe you could compare those to normal euros, while the more complicated games are twilight imperiums.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete, all I try to moderate are "Life Experiences" and I think many of the games Linguist has in sign up are those types of games.

I would like to (sort of) echo dbmurph's sentiment on the current state of games. I look at the games in sign up and the board seems to have grown stale. Where's the next new big thing? Where's the mods ready to take their game to the next level? Where are the Experiences?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
Avatar
mb
Valkerie32 wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:
- A game with lynch at 6am, perfect for my lunch break.
- Strip-werewolf.
- A combination of both.

I'd play that...

...At BGG.con?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sign up for games sometimes based on just the mod no questions asked.

I also sign up for games sometimes based on other players in it, especially if I haven't played with someone I like to play with in a long time.

But other than those two things which aren't really related to the games themselves I like games that have a lot of different facets to them and have the possibility of mass craziness. i would rather play a really fun crazy game than a perfectly balanced sane game that comes to a perfectly sane mathy ending.

i like experimental games. if there is something new going on i am willing to try it and see what happens even if it ends up a total flop(which i don't think I've had happen yet).

For a very specific thing I don't have access to cassie when I am at work so Cassie heavy games are bad for me, can't do physics games and such. Clue was a stretch but due to the really late lynch time I was able to be in cassie each day late in the day so i made it work. I don't think most people have that issue though so I wouldn't put much weight in this part of my post.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few things that factor into my decision making process when signing up for a game. Here they are in no particular order:

*Other players - Are people I know and enjoy playing with in the game?
*Moderator - Is it a moderator I know and who I trust to run a good game?
*Mechanics - Is there a chance I will possibly do at least one thing right in the game?
*Theme - Will I get to pretend I am a snarling beast of some sort?
*Size - Will I be overwhelmed by the population of the game?
*Time - Will I be around for dusk and dawn most days?

I think the problem is that the importance of those factors changes fairly often for me. I'm not signed up for any games right now. I just played in a few and life is a little busy, so I'm going to wait until I really have a desire to play instead of just signing up because I'm not in a game. When I do feel like playing, I don't know what will be most important to me then.

Is this helpful? I hope so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.