BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Minneapolis/St Paul game stores omnibus thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This is great! Although I have the opposite problem in that I often don't want to go to a game store and not find anyone playing Magic.

So Universe Games is largely focused on Magic, though they have a good board game selection and Warhammer. The store itself is pretty cramped. Monster's Den is similar, but they have video game consoles as well and more room, but no windows. Dreamers is very similar to Monster Den, though the space is a little nicer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpauler wrote:
As nice as it is having a quasi-list of the FLGS,...

Still linked this thread, though!

True, threads like this are better. I've done two myself:

The Netherlands
Switzerland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a google map I made when I moved here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208272344162454554758.0...

I think it's mostly up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jargo wrote:
Here's a google map I made when I moved here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208272344162454554758.0...

I think it's mostly up to date.
Misty Mountain Games - North is now Legion Games and in a different locations. Here's their website: http://www.legiongames.com/. They have a ton of room to game, but very little as far as stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpauler wrote:
Found another store that has an interesting selection of old games. It's called Toy Boy Collectibles in Anoka. There were a couple other regular antique shops with games in that neighborhood as well, but not sure if they're worth listing.

Do you recall any of the games they had?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
You should mention that the tables at ffg aren't sticky, there are large windows with a nice view and the cathedral ceilings keep odors from accumulating as much as some other area stores I have visited.

I don't agree there are few reasons for a non-FFG fanboy to stop by. I don't even like thematic games and it's my favorite gaming store in the region by a long shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I missed that there was a "MASK" boardgame (seen in the antique store pics) - not surprised that a game was cashed in...err produced. I probably would have loved it when I was a kid but perhaps annoyed if T-Bob was in it.

I also don't see Arc's Value Village listed. Usually main stream games but I have seen some decent stuff. Their prices on it are low too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SA isn't the only place for Target dumps as Goodwill can also be a target. I'm assuming it has to do with proximity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpauler wrote:
I stopped by some antique stores on West 7th Str in St Paul and found a huge collection of used games. I didn't find anything for myself, but thought I'd alert some locals.

Is that the string of connected shops kitty-corner from Tom Reid's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New game store in
North St. Paul :

http://www.misplaygames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One detail about
Level Up Games :
they sell below MSRP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd counter that The Source is strict about outside food. If they are they don't enforce it... which means they aren't strict. I've seen gamers on a regular basis eating McDs burgers at the gaming tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gigantis wrote:
New game store in
North St. Paul :

http://teammisplay.com/

I've been here a few times to play Magic, and I will say it's a very small shop that is geared towards TCG events. However the owner is able to special order board games and carries a few of the common titles like Settlers and Hasbro titles. So if you're a Magic player, it's a nice place to go for events that is low key and more casual than the Source or Monster Den (I like prereleases here because I'm done and home in time for dinner). However, if you're looking for a huge wall of BG's, it's not really the place to drive across town to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wilcoxon
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few comments...

Village Games is one of my favorite stores (likely partly because I'm friends with one of the owners). However, given that I live in Edina, I seem to only make it up there once every few years. Also (unless this changed again), they are very strict about outside drinks (don't remember about food). They used to allow outside water be brought in but apparently people were abusing it so they stopped (I only drink water for the most part and I *HATE* having to pay for bottled water).

Monsters Den fairly recently added an outside food/drink policy that only food and drink from restaurants in the restaurant cup/bag can be brought into the store. I'm assuming this is to prevent people from buying snacks and bottled beverages elsewhere (which they sell at the store at reasonable prices). However, they have not (yet) given me any issues about bringing in my giant jug of water every Sunday.

Universe Games old location was horrible primarily due to the constant loud noise from people playing console games in the store. I've driven by the new location (so am pretty sure it's the same shop that used to be on Penn in Edina) but haven't been inside so can't comment on if the new location is better.

I keep meaning to check out Legion Games as I've heard good things but I haven't made it down there yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpauler wrote:
I stopped by Level Up Games in South St Paul at lunch today and was pretty impressed. While their stock isn't huge, the games they did have were ALL below MSRP. I picked up Are You the Traitor? for $12.75. So if you want to buy locally but don't want to pay full price, this is a good place to check out. (Hat tip to Matt J)

Totally one of my favorite newer shops to stop in to. They often have sales, and even had one just last week on BG's. They are also able to order (depending on if their distributor has it) and are super nice guys. Also good to know that you can trade in video games there toward your BG purchase! I've traded in Magic cards for BG's myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Becker
United States
Cambridge
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thank you Josh, I appreciate the exposure.

Rhonda
The Gamers Den
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents live up that way, I'll have to swing by there sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out legion games. I frequent there. Owner is nice. Decent stock of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
You should check out legion games. I frequent there. Owner is nice. Decent stock of games.
I do. They have a decent selection and the owner is great. My kids and I go there for our "date nights" from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpauler wrote:

Just added a game store called Crimson Dragon Games in Cottage Gifts in Lindstrom, MN. If we didn't have lunch next door and walked to a store just down the block, we would've missed this little shop. It's snuggled back from the street and shares its storefront with a yarn store and a fudge shop. They had a pretty good selection for the small area and I picked up The Starfarers of Catan for MSRP. (Seriously. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna open it.) My sister picked up Kittens in a Blender which I think is also OOP.

I've been here as well. Very nice group of people, and it's in the same space as a craft store, so it's easy to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

it's easy to miss.

I think a space like this, where gravity was shifted so dramatically, would stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Willis
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

it's easy to miss.

I think a space like this, where gravity was shifted so dramatically, would stand out.

You can't roll dice there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cedar Cliff has a lot of collectible games: MtG, Pokemon, Hero clix, etc. They carry a few board games but nothing interesting. They do buy and sell used games so long as they are more of the collectors edition variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Willis
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Cedar Cliff has a lot of collectible games: MtG, Pokemon, Hero clix, etc. They carry a few board games but nothing interesting. They do buy and sell used games so long as they are more of the collectors edition variety.

I find the staff there less then friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stpauler wrote:
Added 4 more stores that I have no idea about. Anybody know about those?
Fett's Hutt
Mead Hall Comics and Games.
Thunderdome Games Link
Cedar Cliff Collectibles

Repost from the MSP/STP thread:

Mead Hall is an EXCELLENT FLGS close to Loring Park. They are heavy on Magic, but also have comics and BG's (thought not many). REALLY nice guys, and if you're a Magic player that works downtown, I'd recomend popping in. A little weird to find, as it's in the basement of an apartment building (think NYC style), but a comfortable place to play cards IMO. I do think they are expanding a back area for tournaments, and if people show interest in playing more than just Magic, I think they are more than open to trying anything. I think they've done board game nights and run Star Wars minis a couple of times, so they are pretty open to anything IMO. These guys are young, energetic, professional, and willing to go the extra mile for folks.

Thunderdome is like Fett's Hutt and Misplay Games. Three little shops in direct compition of each other on Century Ave. All are a bit of a shock if you want your LGS to be like The Source or FFG Event Center, but there is some charm to what these guys are all trying to do. Unfortuantely, there is a high level of crap talking and compitiion between the three shops, which is a little hard to bear IMO. I frequent Misplay because I like to play Magic in a less crowded and friendly environment. I've never had an issue with Fett or Thunderdome, but I don't see the need to go to them since I know the guy who runs Misplay and I enjoy the quiet tournaments he runs there. Fett's is noisy and dark, and Thunderdome I've only been in once to check it out. None of the shops have a huge BG area, but I have seen Clix events at Fett, and Warhammer at Thunderdome. Thunderdome scores points for being next to a bar. Misplay scores points for being next to a pizza joint. Fett's is the easiest of them to find because they are just a couple of miles north of 94.

Cedar Cliff is a collectible shop that has a stock of Clix and CCG singles. They run some good prices based on ebay (which is rare), and is a fun place to visit if you like comic related collectibles. However, the guy who runs it is a really nasty guy. He's always going to be super nice to you if he knows you spend money there, but downright hostle to others and openly makes loud and brash comments about people after they leave. He's gotten "better" as he's become very successful at what he does, but in the early days of his shop I've seen him throw change and swear at people on different occasions. He used to work for Shinders back in the "glory days" and carried a HUGE chip on his shoulders against them after they parted ways. Pretty sure that's what made him be so crazy early on. I've heard he started running Magic events but there is no way I'd want to spend more than a half hour in that shop, and only because he carries some Magic singles at bargain basement prices sometimes.

For most people on this site... Mead Hall is the best bet. However the others are worth poping into if you like Magic or other collectible games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |