Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level Up Games is in their new location!

http://www.levelupgamesmn.com/

Close to 4,000 square feet in the new place; plenty of merchandise and a designated gaming area!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- and now, the new place:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Level Up looks really nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there last night for the midnight Magic event and it's BEAUTIFUL. Very proud of these guys, they put a ton of work into this place, and it shows. East Siders rejoice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy flight Games Center has moved:

1975 W County Road B2
Roseville, MN 55113
United States of America

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=213&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gigantis wrote:
Fantasy flight Games Center has moved:

1975 W County Road B2
Roseville, MN 55113
United States of America

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=213&...

Wonder why they felt the need to move. Their previous place had more space than any game store I've been to.

How many people can you name in the home page banner photos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my guess is that they needed to expand space in the main office more than anything. They kept taking real estate from the old event center when they needed to expand, and whenever they held larger events sometimes had to rent out even MORE space in the building to run the event.

Now they only rent two spaces as opposed to 3-4, and the new game center is large enough for any event they want to throw. It's big enough to even hold large scale MTG tournaments if they wanted to go that direction, and still not infringe on in-the-door customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
...the new game center is large enough for any event they want to throw.
I'm not so sure. I was at World Championship Weekend and they really had to cram people in, especially when they had Star Wars, Netrunner, and X-Wing all going at once. They definitely have more space than they did, but I could see space becoming an issue again in the not too distant future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Fantasy Flight Games Center has more floor space.
In addition, a kitchen serving food, coffee, beer and wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minneapolis/St Paul game stores - and nearby?
Paddy's Game Shoppe - St Cloud, MN:

706 West Saint Germain Street
Saint Cloud, MN 56301
(320) 229-7545

Also, Sneak Attack's Games:

1415 Division Street, Waite Park, Minnesota
(320) 259-7998
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Raianiemi
msg tools
mb
I live a few blocks away from Mead Hall Games.

They have a really great staff, and they're willing to special-order pretty much anything. It's pretty small, and cramped. "Magic the Gathering" and "Android Netrunner" seem to be the store favorites.

If I have one complaint, it's that it's a testosterone factory. I am attempting to learn to play "Netrunner", but the player see me, get that OHMIGERD A GIRL look and kind of shut down. Others may have different experiences.

They should have more Open Gaming nights, but it's pretty much all about the two games I mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say give FFG Game Center a shot if you can get there. They have regular open gaming nights and whenever I'm there I see a good mix of people from all walks of life, esp Fridays and Thursdays from what I've seen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Raianiemi
msg tools
mb
stagger lee wrote:
I'd say give FFG Game Center a shot if you can get there. They have regular open gaming nights and whenever I'm there I see a good mix of people from all walks of life, esp Fridays and Thursdays from what I've seen!

I've been there on Thursday nights with another gaming group, but since the school year's begun weeknights are now out of the question. I'll check them out on Sunday.

Still want to learn how to play Netrunner. Looks fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leeman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin,

I don't work at Mead, but I ran the Netrunner league night this past time, and I'm terribly sorry if you got that vibe. I would love to have you back in for another try. We have a couple female league members, and I would love to have you back. If you'd like to private message me and let me know your experience, or if you have some feedback for me, I'd love to chat.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting news from Legion Games... or should I say Dreamer's Vault Burnsville:

Quote:
What a year 2014 was. I re-engaged on the Magic Pro Tour as a retail contractor, Grand Prix run under the Legion Events banner got larger and larger, and Legion Supplies nearly doubled gross revenue in 2014 (and I thought we did really well in 2013!). A few new employees got hired to help take some of the load off me, and that has worked out very well. All businesses are moving along and I find myself working on less of the day to day stuff and much more of the big picture. As I move into 2015 I have decided that the next step for Supplies is to get a distribution into Europe.

Discussion about this possibility has been swirling around for the last 6-8 months and it came up that Marc Dudda (current store manager at Legion Games) is a US green card holding German citizen and would be up for the adventure of uprooting himself to move back to Germany. In the fall of 2014 we went to the Spiel game fair in Essen Germany, then spent a few days in Frankfurt talking to some government officials about what it would take to open up a warehouse there. It certainly looked very very plausible that a warehouse could be had there cheaply enough to make it worth the while (as opposed to subcontracting fulfillment). We spent some more time talking and decided to start pursuing it.

Dudda mentioned it in passing to Corey at Dreamers who then brought it to Jason who called me to express his interest in buying the store, if I was going to be selling it. He’d been looking to open a southern metro store at some point in the near future anyway. I was expecting to have to hire in a new manager and train them in before moving Dudda to Frankfurt but… yeah, if the price was right I’d sell it. So we began some light negotiations and realized we were right in the same ball park with expected value. I've known Jason, for a good long time, and while in general we have been competitors in the same market, I've always felt him to be a good person with a respectful eye on growth of community. I feel he is a good fit as the new owner of my store, so we struck the deal and signed it up.

As of January 1st, 2015, Jason Webster and Dreamers Vault will own Legion Games in Burnsville MN. He is retaining the name, website and location for up to 18 months. At some point in that 18 months the name will transition (presumably to Dreamer's Vault). Dudda and the rest of the employees are staying on in their current positions for the short term as we transition to Jason as owner. At some point early next year Dudda will leave and a new manager will take his place as Dudda leaves to become my warehouse manager in Frankfurt Germany. So not much will change from most points of view in the short term. Dreamers Vault will begin supplying the singles in store, naturally. That will be the most significant change. Regular events and everything else will keep rolling just as they have, Jason doesn't want to disrupt a thing that's currently working.

Legion Supplies will still operate out of the back warehouse as it has since we moved there the last year.

I’m excited to be handing off my 2nd retail location to Jason and his team, and expect them to build on the successes I have had with this store. It’s been a great 8+ years since we opened in October of 2006. I’m also excited to be moving onto the next chapter of the supplies business as I take my company international and bring lots of great new products to gamers all over the world!
Steve Port
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't surprise me. If you don't play Magic, you may not know that Steve Port is one of the most respected Tournament Organizers in the country if not world. I was wondering when this might happen.

Steve's a great guy though. He's one of those people that make you proud to be a part of a community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always had good experiences with Legion Games and all the employees there. I assume that will continue going forward. I'm not very familiar with Dreamer's... can I expect more Board Game nights with them? (Hopefully!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T J
United States
Shakopee
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Mead Hall I think I have a new favorite FLGS in the Twin Cities. I've been to quite a few of the most popular gaming stores in the area, and found Mead Hall to be pretty unique. For one thing its in the basement of an apartment complex but, strangely, it feels more cozy than cramped to me. This is probably owed to the wooden floors, huge wooden tables and neat light fixtures and decor that really separate the feel of this place from that of other stores I've been to. Their selection isn't especially large but they do discount items and on Thursdays all of their boardgames are 15% off.

One of the things that surprised me the most is just how friendly the staff here is. In my experience so far they've always gone out of their way to say hello, strike up a conversation or provide customer service beyond what I've come to expect. Its also pretty interesting how they stream their tournaments on Twitch, which isn't really something that I've seen before. Also, since some people have mentioned this as a sticking point before with other stores, as far as I know they don't seem to have any problem with outside food or drink. My first night there the store manager did some rounds asking everyone if they wanted Chinese food to eat and then did a run to pick some up for himself and others. Definitely not uptight.

Give this place a shot if you like competitive card games, or want to soak in an interesting atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mead Hall is very nice indeed. Also worth noting that one of their regulars helped open up the new diner just down the street, so they are a great place to grab a burger or malt before or after a tournament. Super friendly group of guys. However, it's worth noting that the clientele is still very much Magic and other card games, and the crowd seems to be more of the 20-something crowd. For older gamers and Magic players like me, sometimes their tournaments don't start till later because the crowd is a-okay staying up till midnight or later.

Also worth noting for Magic players... they have an excellent website where you can order singles to pick up later in the store and a social media arm of the site that attracts some good writers and podcasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T J
United States
Shakopee
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
However, it's worth noting that the clientele is still very much Magic and other card games, and the crowd seems to be more of the 20-something crowd. For older gamers and Magic players like me, sometimes their tournaments don't start till later because the crowd is a-okay staying up till midnight or later.

I do agree with you there. The main focus of the store is definitely competitive card games. However, I don't think you'd have trouble with playing whatever you like there so long as you don't wander in during Friday night magic and expect to sprawl out across a table with Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Refresh my memory -

Which store moved to Hiawatha Avenue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gigantis wrote:

Refresh my memory -

Which store moved to Hiawatha Avenue?

Monster Den AKA Dreamers Den AKA Dreamers Vault.

http://www.dreamersgames.com/NewDVG/Default.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Monster Den AKA Dreamers Den AKA Dreamers Vault.
Like that's hard to remember or something. Eesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like there is a placed called Hub Hobby on Penn near 62 in Richfield - their website does say they have games. I haven't been in it (I was just hitting Value Village for a super quick thrift run) and noticed the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThePug wrote:
It looks like there is a placed called Hub Hobby on Penn near 62 in Richfield - their website does say they have games. I haven't been in it (I was just hitting Value Village for a super quick thrift run) and noticed the store.

There are a couple of HUBs in town. They have a modest board game selection but it's mostly educational and children's games. Some quirky titles that you won't see at Target, and I have seen the random Euro... but not a game shop as much as a Hobby store with glue and paint models, model train stuff, and DYI hobbyist goodies. Cool shops, but if you're looking for games you might not find much worth picking up.

As a side... I have a $40 GC for HUB if anyone wants to buy it from me. I had a relative get me one for my birthday a few years ago and I've failed to find anything I wanted that didn't involve me investing in a new (but cool) hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |