Subject: Minneapolis/St Paul game stores omnibus thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Hub Hobby is a great store for finding toys for kids, high end R/C, model trains, rocketry, and model building. They do have games, but I noticed this past Christmas that there game selection isn't as big as in years past, but games aren't their primary focus. They do carry some Euros, but at Pete mentioned, much of the game selection is aimed at younger gamers. Still it is a great local store and a great place to find fun things that you won't find at other stores around town.

I didn't know there was more than one Hub Hobby. They used to be a tiny store in the Hub Shopping Center in Richfield. I went to high school across the street from the mall and used to drool daily over the model trains. Back then it was aimed at the hobbyist and don't recall any stuff specifically for kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK
Found it:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Zeroth
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New store in
Inver Grove Heights:
Good Games 'N More

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Games-N-More/14584143677...

Comic books, disc golf discs, CCGs and a lot of action figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level Up Games has added additional floor space!

New area to game in, which has three round tables and sturdy tables built for miniature games.

More space for retail items!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a comparison of local loyalty programs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Is there a comparison of local loyalty programs?

I'm not hugely in the know with most of them, but from what I've found Level Up's discounted prices and regular sales seem to outshine most of what I've seen at places like Games By James, The Source, and FFG. I could be wrong though!

Also... some updates.

Tower Games moved to a nicer space at 3920 Nicollet Ave S. Big windows, bright space, good room for gaming. They said they are looking to expand their BGs as well, and it wouldn't shock me if they tried to get a regular event running weekly.

Universe Games opened a café/coffee shop in their store. I haven't been by to check it out, but it's worth mentioning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I (think that I) know of is The Source, which IIRC is $10/yr for 10% off, stackable. The Source also has sales a couple times a year for 20% off. Their stock is very large.

Level Up appeared to have normal prices around 10% below MSRP, or is it 15%?

And AFAIK, prices at Source, FFG, and Games by James are all at MSRP.

Corrections and more info very appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games by James has a victory point program. Basically, members get at least 10 percent back in store credit on all purchases, and members can get a lot more if they pay attention to the monthly e-mail promotion. It's free to sign-up.

I feel like the Source has a program as well. Edit: mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
Hub Hobby is a great store for finding toys for kids, high end R/C, model trains, rocketry, and model building. They do have games, but I noticed this past Christmas that there game selection isn't as big as in years past, but games aren't their primary focus. They do carry some Euros, but at Pete mentioned, much of the game selection is aimed at younger gamers. Still it is a great local store and a great place to find fun things that you won't find at other stores around town.

I didn't know there was more than one Hub Hobby. They used to be a tiny store in the Hub Shopping Center in Richfield. I went to high school across the street from the mall and used to drool daily over the model trains. Back then it was aimed at the hobbyist and don't recall any stuff specifically for kids.

I was thinking the other day how neat it would be if Hub Hobby kicked out Eric's bicycles and setup shop right next to the Source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MinnesotaPenguin wrote:
Games by James has a victory point program. Basically, members get at least 10 percent back in store credit on all purchases, and members can get a lot more if they pay attention to the monthly e-mail promotion. It's free to sign-up.
I don't buy a ton there but I did sign up for the program a couple years back. They run monthly promotions for discounts on popular games and occasionally hand out free points. I think I've gotten ~$25 worth of free points to spend in the last couple years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~ meeple
Big news from Legacy Games:

"Legacy Games is happy to announce the opening of their 2nd store, in Shakopee, MN. The location will be where the old Phantasy Hobbies was. The schedule will stay the same, the events will stay the same, and the product lines will increase. Although a date hasn't been set in stone yet the opening timeline is incredibly aggressive and is planned for later in April. We want to thank everyone for their support and our continued success as we strive to further our reach in the community."

- from what I heard, they are hoping to open next Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/LegacyGamesRosemount/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt.

They should really get a web site. Their Facebook page has a URL which is parked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh.

I didn't even realize there was a store in Rosemount. I will have to wander over that way some day and see if I can find it.

Oh and the Shakopee folks should be bolstered! I'm glad for them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Thanks, Matt.

They should really get a web site. Their Facebook page has a URL which is parked.

You have to wonder why any business in 2016 wouldn't have a great quality website. Especially a game store, the damn place is packed full of geeks who have the skills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tower Games has moved; however, their store front looks rather anonymous:

3920 Nicollet Ave. S.

Sandwiched between two automobile repair stores.
- near 40th Street; look for a landmark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been updating the Twin Cities FLGS Map and I think it's in pretty good shape now.

Twin Cities FLGS map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Gigantis wrote:

3920 Nicollet Ave. S.
Been wondering if they plan on mounting the exterior sign they removed from their old location. The store does blend in anonymously. If hadn't read about their move in the local paper, I wouldn't even know they were there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
Gigantis wrote:

3920 Nicollet Ave. S.
Been wondering if they plan on mounting the exterior sign they removed from their old location. The store does blend in anonymously. If hadn't read about their move in the local paper, I wouldn't even know they were there.

Just look for that guy standing outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edeen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Gigantis wrote:
~ meeple
Big news from Legacy Games:

"Legacy Games is happy to announce the opening of their 2nd store, in Shakopee, MN. The location will be where the old Phantasy Hobbies was. The schedule will stay the same, the events will stay the same, and the product lines will increase. Although a date hasn't been set in stone yet the opening timeline is incredibly aggressive and is planned for later in April. We want to thank everyone for their support and our continued success as we strive to further our reach in the community."

- from what I heard, they are hoping to open next Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/LegacyGamesRosemount/

I guess I would like to know where you heard I was looking to open Friday (Tomorrow) That wasn't ever public knowledge. Nice job sleuth

I don't think it will happen, though. I have much to do and if I do decide to open the doors this weekend it will be a soft launch with much more coming in the next few weeks.

As far as a website. Yeah I've been putting that off for so long. I have been a web dev since 2003 so I am the last one to have an excuse. The site has been sitting at 95% complete for probably 6 months. I have a few more things I need to get in line and it will launch.

The other thing is that the site will have a loyalty portal, a repair portal and lots of other stuff so it's more than just your typical landing page, too. Heck, I've got an Android and IOS app almost finished that will API into our database for handling event registrations and our loyalty program.

Alas, I digress, I am excited, and stay tuned on the Facebook page for both the launch of the new store and the website.

And goodness guys go check out the Rosemount store, I love hearing feedback from you guys because heck, I'm here for YOU!

-Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
Looks like I was off by four days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edeen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thank you very much! I really wanted to be open by that Friday but it wasn't in the bag. With a 50 hour a week day job and an already existing store... there just wasn't enough time in the day to get everything done to where I felt comfortable opening and not being completely bare.

With that said though, I had a ton of volunteers and we managed to go from signing the lease, to open, in 18 days. Which is insane when you think about it. I redid the flooring, the walls, and had to get all new fixtures. Along with everything in inventory. It was a personal challenge and I am glad to see that we made it.

There are still A LOT more things coming over the next 30 days, too. With the aggressive timeline, I essentially opened before a lot of the vendors could ship me their stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming Goat in Woodbury is now open to the public, offering 30% off all product (other than Magic singles) every day.

Small shop but worth popping into as they seemed very nice and eager to be active in the community.

783 Radio Dr, Woodbury, MN 55125
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Willis
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Gaming Goat in Woodbury is now open to the public, offering 30% off all product (other than Magic singles) every day.

Small shop but worth popping into as they seemed very nice and eager to be active in the community.

Nice! 9 minutes away from my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Gaming Goat in Woodbury is now open to the public, ...

"Now you have a friend in the gaming business." Radio Dr just makes me think of them guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Willis
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Gaming Goat is a nice little place! Looking forward to doing business there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |