16 Posts

Mondo-Carcassonne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules for Mondo-Carcassonne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fotrich Trucks
msg tools
mbmbmb
I also thought about a Mondo-Carcassonne, are there rules for it anywhere or is it just grab the tiles, fill your space and score it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
How did this get approved as a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have to upload the rules and the player mats. I got it working and then things got busy. Tune in next week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

andreww wrote:
I have to upload the rules and the player mats. I got it working and then things got busy. Tune in next week...

Okay, Andrew, it's been some two months now since you told us to "tune in next week." If you've not yet been able to formulate the rules for this variant, I suggest we all pitch in and collaborate collectively.

First of all, Everybody, what would be an appropriate tile lay-out plan for "Mondo Carcassonne"? What configuration would it best take?

Suggestions and ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fair enough. I always think that "next week" I'll have time. I should get games to a post-able state before setting up an entry.

I have rules, cards, and player boards. I'm going to go over them one more time and upload the files tonight. They'll take a day or so to get approved, then everyone can try it and we can start kicking things around to get it just right. I made it "printer-friendly" - there's some color, but no giant areas of solid ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, duh. The files were uploaded yesterday, but after close-of-business in Texas, so many not get reviewed and posted until Monday. Bad timing. I can post just the rules, and the other pieces will be available Monday, hopefully.

The other snag is that I remember posting five files, but BGG says I have just four pending. I'm not sure which file got left out, so I can't redo the missing piece. There are rules, player boards, goal cards, finishing bonus discs, and the score sheets. You could play just fine with just the first three...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondo-Carcasonne!

Required Components:
About 70 Carcassonne tiles per player
Mondo-Carcassonne cards (eight)
Mondo-Carcassonne score sheet
Mondo-Carcassonne player board for each player
Finishing Bonus Tiles

Note that only the base Carcassonne tile features are used (roads, farms, cities, shields). If you use tiles from expansions to make up enough tiles for a multiplayer game simply ignore volcanoes, inns, and the like. Tiles with non-standard edge features like those from The River or The Count of Carcassonne should not be used.

Setup:
Place the Carcassonne tiles face up in the middle of the table in a big pile.

Each person places a player sheet in front of themselves.

Stack the Finishing Bonus tiles with the lowest value on the bottom and highest on the top and place them away from the Carcassonne tiles but within everyone's reach. You need no tiles for a two player game. You need a four point and a one point tile for a three player game. A four player game requires a four, a two, and a one.

Shuffle the Mondo-Carcassonne cards and select one randomly, placing it face up where everyone can see it.

Play:
A selected player announces, “Go!” Players keep one hand off the table, and with the other hand they select Carcassonne tiles and place them on their board. The first tile placed must be connected to the edge features, and every tile placed after the first must be adjacent to at least one previously placed tile. A tile may be held near the player board for assessment, but once played on the board it is committed and may not be removed. Handled tiles not placed on your board should be returned the pile in the middle face up.

Game End:
When a player completes their board or has finished as much as they care to, they take the top most Finishing Bonus tile. When the last Finishing Bonus tile has been taken the last player must also stop placing tiles. In a two player game when one player has finished they announce “Done!” and the other player must stop placing tiles also.

Scoring:
Using a score sheet players tabulate their accomplishments in four categories:

Completed Feature - each road, cloister, or city that entirely composed of placed tiles (ie doesn't incorporate images on the player board), has no mistakes and no unfinished edges scores two points. To be complete cloisters must be surrounded by eight tiles, they cannot be completed by the partial tiles printed on the player boards.

Most Shields – players count the number of shields on tiles on their player boards. The player or players with the most score minus two points.

Misteks – each place the tile edges don't match scores minus one point.

Special – the player or players who have best accomplished the goal stated on the Special card receive as many points as there are players in the game. Only completed, mistake-free features count for biggest, longest, and most, an cloisters must be surrounded by tiles, not graphics on the player boards. “Crossroads of the World” is the player (or players) who connect the most of the eight roads on the edges of the player board with other roads on the edges of the player board. “Most Productive Farm” is the player (or players) with a region that feeds the greatest number of completed cities.

The player with the highest score wins. Arguing over who grabbed which tiles to sabotage who should be limited to two minutes before you start another round.

Solitaire:
Set up and play as above. Give yourself five minutes to complete your board; reduce this time for a more challenging game. Score each shield as minus one point. To score the two points for the Special bonus you must...

Biggest City – complete a city of five or more tiles
Longest Road – complete a road of five or more tiles
Most Cities – complete four cities
Most Roads – complete five roads
Most Productive Farm – complete a farm that feeds four cities
Crossroads of the World – connect four of the eight edge roads to each other
Most Cloisters – complete three cloisters
Most Connected Cities – connect four completed cities

Some of the specials work better than others in a solitaire game. You may wish to make a deck of just your three or four favorites.

Version 0.8 - June 15, 2012
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fotrich Trucks
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good work until now. Will you design the goal cards next?

>> Most Shields – players count the number of shields on tiles on their player boards. The player or players with the most score minus two points.

In Carcassonne the shields give VictoryPoints, so I would prefer them to give 2 points bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The cards are designed and uploaded, awaiting approval. Sorry it didn't all arrive at the same time. If you want to mock up some cards to play in the next couple days before the file is approved just scribble on index cards the following:

Biggest City!
Longest Road!
Most Cities!
Most Roads!
Most Productive Farm!
Crossroads of the World!
Most Connected Cities!
Most Cloisters!

...all worth two points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

andreww wrote:
Mondo-Carcasonne!

Required Components:
About 70 Carcassonne tiles per player

Are you in essence saying that it requires multiple sets of the "Carcassonne" base game to play this variant?

To the best of my memory, the "Carcassonne" base game contains 72 tiles.

And wouldn't each player's 70 tiles have to be the same as those of the other players (a la "Take It Easy")?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I mis-typed. 70ish tiles per two players seemed to work. The additional tiles don't need to be the same at all. So for three or four you can just add Traders and Builders or whatever other Carcassonne you have to bring the total up. Mondo has 144 double sided tiles for up to four players. This is decidedly fewer tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lietz
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would you consider uploading a version for using the smaller Travel Carcassonne tiles?

It might even fit in 11" (I was thinking of printing it on 11x17 paper).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fotrich Trucks
msg tools
mbmbmb
> Would you consider uploading a version for using the smaller Travel Carcassonne tiles?

You could print the file at 77,8 % and stick it together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fotrich Trucks
msg tools
mbmbmb
After playing a few games of Mondo-Carcassonne I would like to make some annotations.

First of all: A great idea, a ligretto-like Carcassonne. I played some 2-person games with my travel-Carcassonne - for the standard Carcassonne you need a big table.

Now some remarks to the rules and components:

> Required Components:
> score sheet
I'd like to see a 4-player score sheet with bonus-section.

> Player Board
The pictures of the cities and roads could be redone. For carcassonne a feature is completed if the road has an end, here we don’t see the end. Especially at the bottom left edge: Is it one road or two? Also some of the cities are not really complete.

> About 70 Carcassonne tiles per player
This should be “at least 70 carcassonne tiles for 2 players, better 70 tiles per player”. In Mondo there are 136 double-sided tiles, with too few tiles there is much less searching.

> Scoring: ... in four categories:
I think this should be 5 categories: The bonus-points are missing.

> To be complete cloisters must be surrounded by eight tiles
Are edge-mistakes allowed on the 9 tile cloister area or does a cloister score only with mistake-free area?

> Most Shields – players count the number of shields on tiles on their player boards. The player or players with the most score minus two points.
To think of a weapon as bad feature is not like Carcassonne – but I don’t kow another solution for a feature like the volcanoes in Mondo. You don’t want to implement the volcanoe-chip mechanism – the player with the most weapons in the last game has to score all weapons negative?

> Misteks – each place the tile edges don't match scores minus one point.
Mistakes – I would like to see a missing tile as mistake, too. Otherwise the tactics of Mondo and Mondo-Carcassonne were very different.
The scoresheet says 2 points negative, I would prefer 1 point (as in the rules).

> Special –
> “Crossroads of the World” is the player (or players) who connect the most of the eight roads on the edges of the player board with other roads on the edges of the player board.
Is this intended to say: Connected by one road-network or also by two or three-road networks or simply by 4 roads one edge-road to another edge-road? I thought of the road-network with the mot edge-roads connected.

Most Connected Cities: In the base-game there are only 3 tiles with cities-road connections. For this special card there should be tiles from game-expansions.

In Mondo there is not only a bonus for the specials, but also a penalty for the player(s) who made the worst result. I’d like to see this here, too. We played several times and found 2 points far too less, for example: If the special goal is "the longest road" and you take many road-crossings to make the streets short you can score up to 40 points with 20 streets, one long road is easy done and will score only 2 points extra, but you will not score for many more roads.
So I suppose to give +4 points for the best and -4 for the worst result, for the longest road I would prefer even more like +/-6 points.

Edit:
Unlike in Mondo the landscapes of carcassonne-tiles are not only whole-, half- or quarter-tiles and so I came up with a different scoring: 2 points for a road, 3 points for a city and 4 points for a cloister (you only have 4 places for it and there must not be any mistakes on the surrounding tiles) should be fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating idea... not had chance to try it out yet, but shall do soon. Would love to see something like this see print as a full add-on within something like Spielbox Magazine.

Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2 points for a road, 3 points for a city and 4 points for a cloister

I really like this idea. I agree, completing a cloister is REALLY hard (especially when trying for the special condition) so higher points for cloisters certainly makes them more attractive to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.