Subject: The right place..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
hey guys, so i have an idea im working on for a card game, is this the right place for me to get peoples reactions and thoughts on the core idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike corry
United States
hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
There is here and then there is www.bgdf.com. What is your core idea and I'll give you a reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
thanks guys

Ok its a card game where you are racing your pirate ship from dock to treasure across kraken infested waters

each player starts with a card that is an empty ship

a draw deck is placed in the middle of the players with one of the cards being the kraken card, this will be shuffled into the deck so no one knows where it is

each turn the players draw one card it will either be:

treasure card : gives a small amount of victory points if successfully brought back to dock

weaponry card: increases combat score for battle against kraken

the kraken card: if drawn the player who drew it must fight the kraken, if they win the kraken is shuffled back into the deck and gameplay resumes the same, if the player loses, their ship is sunk and they become the kraken, forcing all other players to now abandon the search for treasure and race back to the dock

the aim of the game is to get from dock to the treasure island and then back.

thats all i have so far that i definitely want in the game

My current ideas im still working on:

the mechanic of the kraken player against the other players

each ship starting with a certain amount of movement points which decrease with each treasure or weapon card kept on board the ship, and the ability to throw items over board to speed up

also maybe somehow throwing items over board can block the way for one turn

so guys i know this is very basic but its my first ever game idea

i welcome all criticism

thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the cards revealed as they are drawn? If not, how do my opponents know if I draw the Kraken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Neumann
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I point you to Betrayal for a place to maybe get some "midgame traitor revelation" inspiration.

Must a player make all of his decisions based on a randomly drawn card? I think you'll need some extra choice-inspiring mechanic, or even maybe a draw that deals with more than one card at a time.

How does the Kraken player win? This might help focus your objectives.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I love the kraken mechanic. I would make it an overwhelming foe which players could beat by ganging up, but doesn't get the option of upgrades etc., or allow the kraken player to spawn giant squid tokens which he can control?

Once the other players kill the kraken, he goes back into the deck, and the player starts again from scratch. I would use a lot of throw-away weapons and abilities to even things out.

If you're looking to expand the weight juggling mechanism, I have a project where I'm using throw-away items which you can replanish in port. The game has whalers, pirates, etc., so boats are discarded to lower for a hunt, powder is discarded for pvp rounds, kegs of rum are discarded for crew abilities, etc., so you're always trading items for treasure.

The intrigue suggestion above seems unfitting to me - please don't go that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What determines where exactly each player is? Is there a board with islands, docks, etc where each player moves their ship around? How are you handling player movement? Cards drawn move you spaces, etc?

Your theme is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.