12 Posts

Sun of York» Forums » Rules

Subject: Morale check rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rampazzo Loriano
Italy
flag msg tools
A question: A unit makes its morale check and does'nt fail it. The unit reduces its cohesion rating by the number of hit counters on it. Can it discard now all hit counters or has to retain them?
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Wilson
United Kingdom
Holmfirth
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I believe that after reducing the cohesion rating the hit counters would then be discarded. That's the way I've been playing it anyway but then again I'm no expert

Cheers

Charlie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It basically trades the hit counters for cohesion hits, which makes the high cohesion units (think Veteran Knights) soak a lot of damage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep ... looks like everything's under control in this room, too ... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rampazzo Loriano
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks, fellows. Makes sense. But I don't find it anywhere neither in the rules, nor in some erratas. Ciao.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is in the rules, and when the rules say you discard the hit counter for a failed morale check, and don't specify what you do for a passed morale check, the implication is that you retain the hit counters in that latter case.

But then you get into all sorts of awkward situations, e.g., as your unit accumulates hit counters that didn't result in failed morale checks and retreats, you don't know how many dice to roll for future morale checks - is it all the hit counters or just the ones(s) collected on the current turn? So I'm glad to hear the hit markers get removed in cases of passed morale checks.

Other examples of 'implied' rules:

In a couple of places (6.2 para 3 and 6.2.3 (A)) we're told that uncommitted leaders may be moved without expending orders; the suggestion is that committed leaders need orders to move, but logic demands otherwise.

In 6.2.2 Leader Combat we're told that a committed leader may direct its additional combat die roll in an attempt to hit an opposing leader; the suggestion is that he can only fight against opposing leaders, but the example of play p. 22 shows otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent LECOMTE
France
Maizy
Aisne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the author can confirm this ? i played the game it seems nice but the rules are a nightmare to read.

I can't find the fact you remove markers when you passed. if it's true it mean there may have so many other things to check to find what is the real rule.

Is there a change to have an FAQ one day ?

Thanks in adavnace,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not in the rules but in the example of play. If you look at "17) Turn 2 -- Yorkist Morale Check" you see how the levies at the left middle battle get their hit marker removed and reduce their cohesion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent LECOMTE
France
Maizy
Aisne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The texte says " It reduces its Cohesion by
one for the single hit it sustained and remains in place."

No mention that you should discards hit markers.

Next the text says:"All four of them
check and all four fail! Each falls back and discards their hits"

So for me you do not discard hits when success. But seems no clear as the answer in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the picture related to 17). There you see the levies with reduced cohesion and without hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My friend and I recently played the game for the first time, and were also confounded initially by the question of whether to retain the hits after a successful morale check. We soon figured keeping them made no sense, as a unit was then caught in a vicious cycle where its morale continued to drop until it lost all cohesion, even if no further enemy action affected it. (This was especially apparent when units were hit once by missile fire, and eventually routed, despite taking no further damage or part in combat).. Certainly swapping cohesion for hits is the most logical conclusion, and I'm glad to see Mike confirm it..

Nevertheless, apart from the intellectual satisfaction of working things out for ourselves, it would have been more convenient if this was stated explicitly in the main body of the rules. Being in a picture example (which for me was hard to make out, admittedly with less than perfect 20/20 vision) is not quite so helpful. In fact I missed it entirely, and have only now had my attention drawn to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Desmond
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... but what does the author say, sbout it?
However, i think the hits remain there.
HHmm.. no, maybe i was wrong. Probably it's a change Cohesion-hits..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.