Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Rutherford
United Kingdom
Rothwell, Kettering
Northants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like dust but I always seem to think that the end is a bit of a anticlimax. I just thought of a very simple variant where the end of the game is a set number of rounds and VP are only calculated once, after the final round:

1. Each player is dealt a number of cards depending on the number of players.
2 players = 16 cards
3 players = 13 cards
4 players = 11 cards
5 players = 9 cards
6 players = 7 cards
2. Game is then played as normal but without the option to buy new cards. The players must use the hand that is dealt to them at the start of the game.
3. Majorities and VP are not counted at the end of each round, play continues until everyone has used their last card.
4. The winner is the decided by adding up the VP on the final board.
Capitals = 5 points each
Power points = 2 points each
Majorities of land and sea = 5 points each (I think no points for production majority?)

I think this will help keep the game flowing better also as I always hate the downtime as points are calculated each round. Also reduces the potential for errors. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt,
I've bought Dust some weeks ago and only played it 3 times, but I really like your suggestions.
As you said I've noticed "downtime" when counting points between rounds... it slow down the "fight hype" for this really fast risk-style game.
I think I'll try to propose these to my gaming group next time and write here our review.
Please, keep this thread update for further news.
Thank you for sharing yor ideas.
Alessandro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rutherford
United Kingdom
Rothwell, Kettering
Northants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cheers... I will try and get my group to play this way next time. It would be interesting to hear your results or anyone else's thoughts.

Regarding attacking capitals maybe that could be restricted until half the cards have been played?

Production:
Attack production after 2nd card

Capitals:
2 players = 16 cards - attack capitals after 8 cards
3 players = 13 cards - attack capitals after 7 cards
4 players = 11 cards - attack capitals after 6 cards
5 players = 9 cards - attack capitals after 5 cards
6 players = 7 cards - attack capitals after 4 cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very elegant solution. I approve. But I would still play with reduced cost of mech

Edit: reduced cost bombers as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rutherford
United Kingdom
Rothwell, Kettering
Northants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a 2 player game tonight. Worked very well but there were to many game rounds. No more than 4 to 3 rounds are required with capital attacks enabled.

Deal cards:
2 players – 11 (attack capitals on card 7)
3 players – 10 (attack capitals on card 6)
4 players – 9 (attack capitals on card 5)
5 players – 8 (attack capitals on card 5)
6 players – 7 (attack capitals on card 4)

We used the 4 pts/mech and 5 pts/bomber rule, works much better and gets them in the game.

We also implemented a maximum 10 dice per combat roll limit. This is excellent in preventing steam rollering with massive groups of units and gives the defender a fighting chance. This was based on the combat limit in War of the Ring.

I have uploaded a player organizer (subject to okay from admin)based on someone else's hard work.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/78493/dust-varient-player-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOSEP BERNABEU
Spain
PALMA
BALEARES
flag msg tools
It sounds a good variant. I will try it next time. I will also print de player organizer. Just one question. Do you use the first card only to determine the setup order or, also to play the first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.