Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's define a full round to mean that there have been as many "start of turn" phases as there are players in the game. In other words, unless you've got that hazard that reverses turn order coming up, whenever the player to the right of the start player has their start of turn phase, that signals the completion of a round.

So for example, if you're playing a 5 player game and it ends on the 5th player's first encounter, that would be 1 full round; if it ended on the 4th player's second encounter, that would be 0 full rounds. Etc...

So I'm not expecting anyone to have hard data (though if you do, that's great!). Just ball park it. Use your intuition. How many rounds do your games typically last. By typically, I mean whatever you think that should mean.

Poll
How many FULL rounds do your Cosmic Encounter games usually last before ending?
3-4
5-6
7-10
10+
      50 answers
Poll created by Asmor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
"I mean whatever you think this should mean"

; D

Funny how subject to player count this really is, but I appreciate the way you are approaching this date gathering. 0-2 seems to be about the max range for 5-8 players when I have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Thulhu?
Mexico
Sonora
flag msg tools
|)@r+# +#¿£#¿
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lengthtoavoid wrote:
"I mean whatever you think this should mean"

; D

Funny how subject to player count this really is, but I appreciate the way you are approaching this date gathering. 0-2 seems to be about the max range for 5-8 players when I have played.

Yeah. Eight to ten player megagames more commonly run 1.5 go-arounds, 5-6 player games usually make two.

Games with newbies usually shave half a go-around, due to more common everyone-invites-everybody alliancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, so the implication there is that the average number of turns in a game is relatively static, and they just get divided amongst however many players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Asmor wrote:
Interesting, so the implication there is that the average number of turns in a game is relatively static, and they just get divided amongst however many players?

To some extent. Larger games encourage more allies; if I would invite one ally in a five-player game, I will invite two if we're playing with seven players instead.

But of course there are other factors as well. A game with Shadow, Saboteur, Vacuum, Filth, and Cudgel will generally take longer than a game with Leviathan, Mite, Winner, Relic, and Siren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

I would definitely say that nothing is finite...depending on factors like allies, alien powers, whether or not players get a second encounter on their turn. Based on personal observation, the game last shorter than one would think when everyone has played before because they have some tricks up their sleeve from previous plays to advance their personal agenda in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.