Selim 'Selim' Talat
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Hey everyone =)

I'm working on a hex wargame. I've wanted to do something 'chinese fantasy' for a while. I have a few questions about it though.

1) Are these counters pleasing to the eye / print worthy?

2) I'm a bit concerned that despite my intentions to emulate a period of another cultures history and bring something (possibly) new to the gamer, that it might all be seen as a 'westernization' of that culture due to my inherent bias and loose grasp of it. Do you think this is just paranoia? :-S

Tang and their allies

The mages of Ch'i and their allies.

Clan Zhu and their allies

Neutrals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't make out at all what some represent.

Top image, bottom row, second one in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selim 'Selim' Talat
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Geosphere wrote:
I can't make out at all what some represent.

Top image, bottom row, second one in.

Lol, that is a Tang Guardian - the counter is a white 'Han' helmet against a massive shield.

It is also impossible to get the Crane's head + wheel = chariot-pulled multiballista, or snake + hedgey thing = barrage rockets, until it is pointed out in the rulebook.

I just wanted to gauge peoples reactions to the aesthetics of it. Each counter certainly needs to be named to become clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Aesthetically, the stats on each piece need to be clearer. It's a thin type you chose.

And in the same position on each counter.

And I still don't see a helmet on a shield. I think you need a wee bit more definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to work a bit on the colors. Not that I am an expert, but my eyes do not react well to some of the combinations. The group at the bottom looks overall better (not so strong colors). Or maybe they look good printed, just not on my screen?

If they are intended to be printed and cut, you need to put the counters close together, so that a single cut will separate a row/column without leaving any visible border, otherwise they must be cut out separately (time-consuming and difficult to make counters square).

Guess if you are going to laser-cut them or something it is ok to leave space between counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have to concur that a lot of the counters are a bit... unidentifiable? That is, I look at the pic and have no idea what it's supposed to be. I'd honestly much rather see a counter with the name of the unit and no pic, or maybe just a generic faction symbol so you know who it belongs to. That would be easier to read. Also, I'd look at toning the colors down, they're currently a bit garish.

Good choice of subject matter though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the images, assuming that they have no effect on gameplay (and in that case, there is no point making the counters uglier by adding names).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.