United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
So long as by international, you mean Canada ($152), UK ($192) and Australia ($221).

Not cheap. Will we see much of a KS bump with this announcement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hackard
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right; it's NOT cheap. But it's as cheap as we could make it, and finding these options is what took us so long.

There will be more countries added next week, as promised in Update 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Rustin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a (roughly) 7Kg box after all.

I'm a touch disappointed that we can't add the extras, but making them available on Warehouse 23 isn't a bad middle path for doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Will we see much of a KS bump with this announcement?

If only 5 guys from Australia go for it, that's $1100.

There will be a bump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it gets to the point that the KS sheets are available as extras for supporters, I'll likely buy them from WH23, support at $25 and buy myself the pins and some extra dice. I can then buy the game retail from my awesome FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
If it gets to the point that the KS sheets are available as extras for supporters, I'll likely buy them from WH23, support at $25 and buy myself the pins and some extra dice. I can then buy the game retail from my awesome FLGS.

I think I'm going to have to do the same, way the customs guys work it'll end up more than doubling the price of the game - no matter how awesome getting it a month early I can't do that sort of premium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the Kickstarter for Ogre 6th Edition has reached over 300k dollars how about you produce the game in the United States.

A little Civic responsibility would be nice to see from an American company. Now that you have made all this money on Kickstart lets put some Americans back to work. I challenge you to produce Ogre 6th Edition in the United states, help the economy and show some Patriotism, instead of producing it as cheap as possible overseas in China.

Made in the U.S.A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Trimby
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elberon wrote:
Slev wrote:

I think I'm going to have to do the same, way the customs guys work it'll end up more than doubling the price of the game - no matter how awesome getting it a month early I can't do that sort of premium.

Any UK Geekists know what the customs charges would be, if the Exciseman did get his hands on our game?

I've been waiting to back this project, but shipping and customs will probably more than double its cost, so I think it'll have to be FLGS for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Rustin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yorkist4 wrote:
Any UK Geekists know what the customs charges would be, if the Exciseman did get his hands on our game?

I've been waiting to back this project, but shipping and customs will probably more than double its cost, so I think it'll have to be FLGS for me too.

I'd imagine it would be around £20-30 based on parcels I've received from the states in the past. The duty is on the value of the item, so on $100 I'd assume, plus a handling fee for the shipping company (theoretically to cover their costs for having to collect the fee and the extra work for them in having to separate out the parcels).

Very much a guestimate though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yorkist4 wrote:

Well inc Postage that is ~£120 ish

£120-£20ish for your allowance = £100

20% VAT = £20
+ £8 delivery by Parcel force = ~£30 extra i would assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh-oh.

$152 to Canada is great.

I think USPS would have charged about $40 to ship to Canada.

But, SJG is shipping by FedEx.

So I think you can safely add about another $60 or so to the cost of the game that the buyer will be forced to pay as a 'brokerage fee'.

*sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Rustin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jetpac wrote:
yorkist4 wrote:

Well inc Postage that is ~£120 ish

£120-£20ish for your allowance = £100

20% VAT = £20
+ £8 delivery by Parcel force = ~£30 extra i would assume.

You're not paying VAT on the postage, just the declared value of the goods I'm pretty sure. So ($100 / 1.6) * 0.2 + £8 -> ~ £20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stu Skywalker wrote:
Uh-oh.

$152 to Canada is great.

I think USPS would have charged about $40 to ship to Canada.

So I think you can safely add about another $60 or so to the cost of the game that the buyer will be forced to pay as a 'brokerage fee'.

*sigh*

That's exactly my concern. An extra brokerage fee is almost a certainty. At least with Canada Post on this end it would have been limited to $5, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elemental wrote:

You're not paying VAT on the postage, just the declared value of the goods I'm pretty sure. So ($100 / 1.6) * 0.2 + £8 -> ~ £20

Well yes, But the declared value SHOULD include postage (according to HMRC)
and usually is as retailers tend to put the value paid for the order as the declared value on the customs slip.

It will all depend on what the declared value is from SJG.

I would hope for £20, but i would be very prepared to have to pay ~£30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Skywalker wrote:

I wonder if Steve Jackson Games knows that by using FedEx that they are dooming their international customers to paying these extra fees. why not use the postal service?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Rustin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
Stu Skywalker wrote:

I wonder if Steve Jackson Games knows that by using FedEx that they are dooming their international customers to paying these extra fees. why not use the postal service?

You have to pay those fees regardless - they're import duties and not related to the carrier.

In any case, for SJG having trackable packages with proof of delivers and cover for loss or damage is almost certainly the important part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elemental wrote:
thdizzy wrote:
Stu Skywalker wrote:

You have to pay those fees regardless - they're import duties and not related to the carrier.

In any case, for SJG having trackable packages with proof of delivers and cover for loss or damage is almost certainly the important part.

USPS with tracking and insurance to Canada is approximately $40. IF you get charged by CanadaPost, it is a flat $5 fee plus GST (another 5%) or HST if applicable in other provinces (maybe up to 15%). So maximum an additional $20.

By using UPS or FedEx, those companies charge a 'brokerage fee' of an absolutely outrageous amount of between $40 and $80 for small packages they say is to cover 'paperwork'. Um, what paperwork? SJG does it all, not you guys.

Plus, it's more expensive to use those services than USPS that would cover the customs and GST if you get charged for them.

Anyway, I'll have to figure out another way to buy the game, because as soon as I find out anyone uses FedEx or UPS, I will not buy from them. Just not cost effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot more than raw shipping cost has to be factored in. After reviewing our options, and meeting with our FedEx rep, we opted for FedEx since they give us the best service and trackability.

Just organizing and managing the shipping of the games is going to be a massive project of its own. Especially since it's not as simple as "label box and ship." We have to review each and every supporter's information and the build boxes based on exactly what extras are requested. I suspect US supporters will be getting multiple packages from us just so that we can manage the package sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
A lot more than raw shipping cost has to be factored in. After reviewing our options, and meeting with our FedEx rep, we opted for FedEx since they give us the best service and trackability.

Just organizing and managing the shipping of the games is going to be a massive project of its own. Especially since it's not as simple as "label box and ship." We have to review each and every supporter's information and the build boxes based on exactly what extras are requested. I suspect US supporters will be getting multiple packages from us just so that we can manage the package sizes.

Fair enough. I do hope that Canadian (and other) customers are aware of these extra fees that will not be covered by the $152 cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Sistrom
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very sad that so many countries have these complex taxes and brokerage fees.

One thing I can say about Australia is that despite often being charged excessive postage, we do not have all this extra charges nonsense. If less than A$1000 goods value we do not get charged taxes, with A$ close to parity with the US$ at the moment. Some retailers are trying to change this, mostly clothing and shoe retailers, but this is how it has been for a while.

Also I have had a few games delivered by Fedex and never been charged any kind of fee by them.

That all being said when I can already pre-order through a semi local store for half of the kick starter price, a few months delay and missing a couple of small kick starter exclusives does not really seem worth it.

Several years ago it was worthwhile for Australians to make large orders of games from the US from online retails, $300+ worth of games and then even a $100-160 shipping bill on top of that would minimize total shipping on a per game basis and land the games in Australia for less than buying locally. But these days there are several good retailers with competitive prices that even if not exactly local I am still at least saving money by supporting Australian stores. Many of these good mail order stores do have brick and mortar stores too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Red Devil wrote:
The only things guaranteed in life are death and taxescry

And sometimes not death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
These shipment costs are too expensive!

Recently I ordered a very large package of over 14 pounds from US based miniature market for 65$ to my home in Austria/central Europe.

So minimarkets price is the shipment cost I would accept as an oversea customer and not SJG 200$+. No way that I would pay this shipment price. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.