Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Writing tech ability - clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hutchings
msg tools
City Management: Cancel an action being performed by another player ( may not cancel resource abilities )

1) This card can prevent a person gaining culture from one of their cities by playing it when they devote a city to the arts. I assume the city can not perform any action on this turn as a result.

2) Can this ability prevent a player spending culture tokens they already have to advance on the culture track. If they don't lose the culture tokens then they can just repeat their action again so this card would have no effect?

3) Can this ability block a person placing gold on their democracy card. e.g. a person spends 6 trade to put gold on their card. I cancel it. Since democracy is restricted to once per turn it seems they would not be able to do this again on this turn. Do they still lose 6 trade points?

3) Can this card be used to stop a person placing a gold on their Printing Press tech card (spend 5 culture tokens)? If so, would they lose their culture tokens?

4) This abilty couldn't prevent a person spending 2 resources to put a gold on pottery, but it could block a city from harvesting a resource for one turn?


Generally: it seems culture tokens are not "resources" and so are not affected by rules governing resources. It seems that actions that could block use of a resource ability could not be used on spending of culture tokens?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hohmann
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Super Mario Kart Fan
badge
www.BoardgameMonkeys.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Writing blocks a CITY ACTION and the city cant do anything else this turn (but you get your cards, ressources etc which you used back)

City actions are:
1. devote to the arts
2. harvest a ressource
3. build xxxx

Points 2-4 are just performed IN the city management phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hutchings
msg tools
The decription on the card does not specify 'city action' only, it says 'an action being performed by another player'. Isn't using an ability on a tech card during city management considered an action by that player?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) This card can prevent a person gaining culture from one of their cities by playing it when they devote a city to the arts. I assume the city can not perform any action on this turn as a result.

That is correct. Devote to Arts is an action. The city spends its action devoting to arts; the action is canceled; the city's action is done.

Quote:
2) Can this ability prevent a player spending culture tokens they already have to advance on the culture track. If they don't lose the culture tokens then they can just repeat their action again so this card would have no effect?

Spending culture tokens is not an action. Therefore, it cannot be canceled using Writing.

Quote:
3) Can this ability block a person placing gold on their democracy card. e.g. a person spends 6 trade to put gold on their card. I cancel it. Since democracy is restricted to once per turn it seems they would not be able to do this again on this turn. Do they still lose 6 trade points?

Activating is not an action but rather an ability. Therefore, it cannot be canceled using Writing.

Quote:
3) Can this card be used to stop a person placing a gold on their Printing Press tech card (spend 5 culture tokens)? If so, would they lose their culture tokens?

Again, this is not an action but rather an ability.

Quote:
4) This abilty couldn't prevent a person spending 2 resources to put a gold on pottery, but it could block a city from harvesting a resource for one turn?

Harvesting a resource is an action. Therefore, it can be canceled by Writing. Once it is canceled, the city cannot take another action.

To clarify, there are three actions that can be taken during city mgmt; these are produce, devote to arts or harvest a resource, and each city can choose one of them. Any other things done by the player during the city mgmt phase are not actions.

Or, to phrase is differently, Writing's text is confusing. It should say "Cancel a city action", not an "action".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hutchings
msg tools
Ok, Thanks for clarifying this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hohmann
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Super Mario Kart Fan
badge
www.BoardgameMonkeys.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyhut wrote:
The decription on the card does not specify 'city action' only, it says 'an action being performed by another player'. Isn't using an ability on a tech card during city management considered an action by that player?


Look at the green or purple level 1 tech card (dunno which exactly). It is the only card in my game that states correctly "city action"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ahdiabolo wrote:
tonyhut wrote:
The decription on the card does not specify 'city action' only, it says 'an action being performed by another player'. Isn't using an ability on a tech card during city management considered an action by that player?


Look at the green or purple level 1 tech card (dunno which exactly). It is the only card in my game that states correctly "city action"


This is correct the original game the green card was the only one that was correct. Makes sense the purple is correct too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"City Management: Cancel an action being performed by another player ( may not cancel resource abilities )"


I already lost some time cracking my head with this...

why "may not cancel resource abilities" ? Can't the card cancel a "coin on democracy"i.e.?

If the intent was to cancel a city action, why dont "Cancel a city action".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
"City Management: Cancel an action being performed by another player ( may not cancel resource abilities )"


I already lost some time cracking my head with this...

why "may not cancel resource abilities" ? Can't the card cancel a "coin on democracy"i.e.?

If the intent was to cancel a city action, why dont "Cancel a city action".

Because it's a misprint Like dlhammond says above, the Green and Purple Writing cards have the correct text. It's city actions only. It can't cancel democracy (which is a tech ability, I guess?). Or atomic theory...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make life difficult, the misprint is still present in the 2nd printing of the game, so keep that in mind if you own the version with Wu Zetian. You will still need to point it out to new players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
rdonoso wrote:
"City Management: Cancel an action being performed by another player ( may not cancel resource abilities )"


I already lost some time cracking my head with this...

why "may not cancel resource abilities" ? Can't the card cancel a "coin on democracy"i.e.?

If the intent was to cancel a city action, why dont "Cancel a city action".

Because it's a misprint Like dlhammond says above, the Green and Purple Writing cards have the correct text. It's city actions only. It can't cancel democracy (which is a tech ability, I guess?). Or atomic theory...

Hummmm...

I always play red, never saw the green/purple cards!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I have wondered of this is a response to the other player using an action?

Someone said earlier that he would get his resource back, but that doesn't matter since it is a city action... Never mind..

Do I have to use the writing spy ability in my own turn hoping that I have my turn earlier than my opponent, or can I use it as a response to my opponent telling that he/she wants to do something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FrozenSquirrel wrote:
I have wondered of this is a response to the other player using an action?

Someone said earlier that he would get his resource back, but that doesn't matter since it is a city action... Never mind..

Do I have to use the writing spy ability in my own turn hoping that I have my turn earlier than my opponent, or can I use it as a response to my opponent telling that he/she wants to do something?

You can use Writing in response to another player's City Action. That player gets all of the resources that was spent to fuel that action.

Therefore, that player gets back any Trade, Culture Cards (s.a We Love the Despot Day!), special abilities (s.a Engineering) and Resources (s.a Animal Husbandry) that he used.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FrozenSquirrel wrote:
Someone said earlier that he would get his resource back, but that doesn't matter since it is a city action... Never mind..


With Writing, if you spent anything to perform the city action (e.g. Wheat or a "We Love the ___ Day!" card), you get it back. When a resource action is canceled, though, you don't get the resource back.

Quote:
Do I have to use the writing spy ability in my own turn hoping that I have my turn earlier than my opponent, or can I use it as a response to my opponent telling that he/she wants to do something?


You use Writing in response to your opponent's city action on his turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I guess not, but will this also affect Horseback Riding Silk ability if you use it to gain trade, which you use to get production?
Will it only give back the trade?

Add: I think I got it all after Ians comment. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FrozenSquirrel wrote:
I guess not, but will this also affect Horseback Riding Silk ability if you use it to gain trade, which you use to get production?
Will it only give back the trade?

Add: I think I got it all after Ians comment. Thanks.

You use Horseback Riding during Trade phase, and it gives you Trade. If your *city action* is canceled, you will get the Trade back, but Horseback Riding has already been done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Valmont
Germany
Berlin
Germ
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting design mistake: Democracy is no city action and no ressource ability. It is an *undefined* thing during city management. If there is ever a v2.0 rulebook it probably should read
Democracy
6 trade: Gain a coin...
Printing Press
5 cult: Gain a coin..

so that there are only city actions, ressource abilities and "stuff during combat" (i.e. animal husbandry, biology etc.) and misc. improvements (Engineering, MilSci and Combustion)..of course with some rewording on the later ones.

Maybe "New Ability" and the bonus they give
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pittpatt wrote:
Interesting design mistake: Democracy is no city action and no ressource ability. It is an *undefined* thing during city management. If there is ever a v2.0 rulebook it probably should read
Democracy
6 trade: Gain a coin...
Printing Press
5 cult: Gain a coin..

so that there are only city actions, ressource abilities and "stuff during combat" (i.e. animal husbandry, biology etc.) and misc. improvements (Engineering, MilSci and Combustion)..of course with some rewording on the later ones.

Maybe "New Ability" and the bonus they give

I call them "tech abilities", though you are right in that that they are not clearly defined in the rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pittpatt wrote:
Interesting design mistake: Democracy is no city action and no ressource ability. It is an *undefined* thing during city management. If there is ever a v2.0 rulebook it probably should read
Democracy
6 trade: Gain a coin...
Printing Press
5 cult: Gain a coin..

so that there are only city actions, ressource abilities and "stuff during combat" (i.e. animal husbandry, biology etc.) and misc. improvements (Engineering, MilSci and Combustion)..of course with some rewording on the later ones.


Are you saying that Democracy and Printing Press should be categorized as resource abilities? That would be a mistake, because trade and culture are not resources.

Quote:
Maybe "New Ability" and the bonus they give


The rulebook in one place refers to miscellaneous abilities (using Engineering as an example) as "constant abilities". I would lump Democracy and Printing Press in with those.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.