Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played with any combination of the following rule variants?

1. Play with money open
2. Play with Art cards open
3. Distribute all art cards evenly at the beginning of the game (to encourage extra planning)

Doing all of these things could be a bit much but some combination of them could decrease chaos/randomness and increase the strategic depth. Of course there is an obvious potential cost of an increase in play time and PA.

Of course I am also considering splitting the doublers evenly between players but I mentioned that in another thread I just posted.

Happy Gaming,
Redward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Redward wrote:

3. Distribute all art cards evenly at the beginning of the game

Hmm. I wonder if you might do something like give everyone identical personal draw decks (not possible with current cards). Everyone is guaranteed to get the same quality cards, but there's no guarantee of which will available in any given hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I am going to try is splitting the doublers up evenly among players, if someone plays the second card for a doubler than they get the money, and all art cards are divvied out at the beginning of the game.

This way no major changes occur regarding what knowledge you have other other players resources which could really change the game but you do have insight into what your own future options will be and the doublers will not be quite as game changing due to previous uneven distributions of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problems/glitches you point out are part of what makes up the non-formulaic personality of the game. If you try and variant the luck and quirks out of the system you risk transforming the game into an exercise in mathematics- or poker with a less interesting rule set.

/.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Stanley
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps a draft of the cards into personal draw decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a good variant might be one that would ensure all players get the same number of double auction cards over the course of the game. The doubles are very powerful and if one player gets an unusually high or low number of them it seems like the game would be decided by chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joeeoj010 wrote:
The doubles are very powerful and if one player gets an unusually high or low number of them it seems like the game would be decided by chance.

Well, we could require that the doubles in your hand be face up. This lets people plan around them.

Another possibility is to bid just for the right to get a double into your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika Toukola
Finland
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:
1. Play with money open

I feel that this slows down the game too much. Having the money hidden concentrates the decision making on the current action instead of always trying to take into account to full picture.

Redward wrote:
2. Play with Art cards open

This might be fun, but also increases the complexity of the game. It definitely reduces bluffing, but isn't that a great part of auctioning?

Redward wrote:
3. Distribute all art cards evenly at the beginning of the game (to encourage extra planning)

Not quite sure how this could be done in a fair way. Maybe an auction of some sort before the game starts? Has anyone got any experiences with something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingKneru wrote:
Redward wrote:

Not quite sure how this could be done in a fair way. Maybe an auction of some sort before the game starts? Has anyone got any experiences with something like this?

The other two idea's were nonsensical and change the game too much. Divvy out each auction type as evenly as possible and give everyone draw piles. Over the course of the game everyone will have similar numbers of each type of auction which gives more control.

That may even be overboard. The only thing that is really important is that doublers are relitively even because they are so powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.