Major Major
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Unicorn!! Haggard!!
mbmbmbmb
My brother really likes Game of Thrones (the 2003 area control one), and I was wondering what else there was out there I can tempt him with. Eclipse? Runewars? He definitely prefers sci fi and fantasy games. Part of the reason he likes GoT is that it is such an aggressive game, with a lot of attacking and battles and backstabbing etc. Any help recommendations would be appreciated, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Rex: Final Days of an Empire is the one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) with Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't already have it, the A Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords Expansion is great if you'd like to play with 4.

Warrior KnightsIs a similar game that plays well with 3+

Mare NostrumIs also good, but also only plays well with 5.

Chaos in the Old WorldIs very good, but only plays well with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani M
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senji - extremely backstabbing and aggressive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asparagus wrote:
Part of the reason he likes GoT is that it is such an aggressive game, with a lot of attacking and battles and backstabbing etc.

Many geeks would consider AGoT a Diplomacy variant for exactly the reasons your brother seems to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
get AGoT 2nd edition, has the best bits of the original and two expansions blended into it. Its amazing.

+1 Rex - still has auctions and really works on the alliance and betrayal mechanics that are encouraged but not as well defined in AGoT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What about 'Lawn Darts' or even 'Draughts' then? oh, what's that? Another entirely differing sort of: "Game of THROWNS" then? nevermind... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
ERPriest wrote:

Comparing this to A Game of Thrones is like comparing a Prius to a Dualie Pickup.

AGOT is simple and elegant with little luck. TE is a huge bloated game of with luck and TONS of rules.

I want to play AGOT whenever I can. I avoid TE if at all possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter might fit the bill. It has all of the aggressiveness, but it's a different style. It's faster paced, without the more deliberate, long term strategy that you see in GoT. It's got great replayability and a sci-fi feel though, so it could be a good change of pace.
Aside from that, perhaps Tammany Hall. It doesn't have the scifi theme, but the description they have seems to fit your brothers interests pretty well. "Tammany Hall is a board game of backstabbing, corruption, temporary alliances and taking power at all costs." Hard to get a copy of immediately, so you'd probably be looking at waiting for the Kickstarter to finish up for paying up big.

Edit: Just a quick addition, I'm not sure Eclipse is what you're looking for. The one time I played it lacked some of the hard edged conflict feel that you get from GoT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always good old Kingmaker.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The standard recomendations would be other Diplomacy variants, like Machiavelli. But it's probably redundant since the core mechanics are the same.

The key here would be knowing if he wants another negotiation game or if an aggresive efficiency game would suit him. I second Chaos in the Old World because it's an efficiency game with lots of direct attacks so you get something different yet with stuff he likes. But it's 4 player only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There is also Samurai; of which WE used to compare this favorably with 'Kingmaker' SET within "Emperial Japan". ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernt N
Norway
Hakadal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend StarCraft: The Board Game, sadly it is out of print though. I think it fits your description really well, it is both sci-fi theme and also really aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asparagus wrote:
My brother really likes Game of Thrones (the 2003 area control one), and I was wondering what else there was out there I can tempt him with. Eclipse? Runewars? He definitely prefers sci fi and fantasy games. Part of the reason he likes GoT is that it is such an aggressive game, with a lot of attacking and battles and backstabbing etc. Any help recommendations would be appreciated, thank you.

Risk 2210 A.D..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Fircrest
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Rex: Final Days of an Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia Lots of chaos and battles. Well all battles. You don't get the secret orders or the diplomacy...but you do get the battles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda looking for something similar - i.e. Game of Thrones substitute but for different reasons (want simpler for nongamers and less players required, but retaining narrative and diplomacy/backstab). Actually I'm after diplomacy substitute, with GoT as one of hte options.
I already have Cyclades and CITOW (both recommended).

I'm not getting Rex (I love Dune theme too much).

What I'm looking now at is this: Fief
It's a remake of an 80s french game. The main reason it seems better to me than GoT is that in Europe it's 1/3 cheaper for a game of similar weight and player count required (thus less risky buy) and graphic design looks more attractive to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asparagus wrote:
Part of the reason he likes GoT is that it is such an aggressive game, with a lot of attacking and battles and backstabbing etc.

Struggle of Empires rewards aggression, with "backstabbing" through its alliance mechanism. Attacking, however, is very expensive and must be considered very carefully. Area control.

Nexus Ops also rewards aggression. A LOT of attacking in this one, as the need to battle is driven by the secret mission cards: "It's nothing personal... the corporation is forcing me to attack you." Plus, it's quick at 90 minutes. However, there's almost no backstabbing as there's little room or time for alliances to develop.

Viktory II is another one that rewards aggression. The combat system favors diversity of units, versus sheer number of units, plus destroyed units are recycled! The board is comprised of geo-morphic hexes of various unknown terrain. Initially, there is a period of exploration as players expand into adjacent hexes. Scaling from 2 to 8 players, you could have fronts, alliances, and backstabbing, all in the classic Risk sense.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shogun / Wallenstein (second edition) duo may fit the bill too. Both have the same mechanics (from what I've read), so it is really a matter of location/theme.

There's secret programmed actions, much like the command tokens in AGoT, but there are ten cards to consider! Like AGoT, the frequency of attacks is about the same, as it is more about maneuvering, posturing, and consolidation of your position. Then... WHAM! dropping in a large number of cubes in a surprise attack... and watching the cube tower do its thing... you could still lose, gloriously. Oh, the tension! And those damned farmers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Senji might be a good one.

I have yet to play a game, but I have a session coming up. It's another area control game with a heavy diplomatic element. that is playable up to 6. Like Game of Thrones units are ordered by the use of order tokens that are placed face down on the board.

Unlike Game of Thrones it specifically allows for Diplomatic sessions away from the board, though unlike Diplomacy itself they are much shorter (5 minutes or so).

This has a couple of features that are unusual - first it has a set collection mechanic - there are resource ("Hanafuda") cards you can earn throughout the game and different combinations of these can be traded in for different effects.

Another neat feature is the way diplomacy is incorporated into the game. In addition to the usual promises you can make or break about what actions you will (or will not) take on the board, each player has a set of cards they can trade with other players for various ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
One that hasn't been discussed yet is Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York, which hassome similar mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.