Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of Leuthen today and was curious to check out the new gold banner components.

Wow, they are excellent!

The counters are thick and sturdy. They seem less like paper and more like wood.

The cards are also great. They are playing card sized and easy to shuffle.
Now on to play the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grrr. I was hoping to see it today...angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it today. You have to be careful punching out the counters. While thick, they take some care so as not to loosen the top layer as the paper is attached tightly on the backside of the sprue. Maps, aid and cards are all top notch. The counters look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
NthPower wrote:
Wow, they are excellent!

Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Zeltzer
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better yet: the game is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Got it today. You have to be careful punching out the counters. While thick, they take some care so as not to loosen the top layer as the paper is attached tightly on the backside of the sprue. Maps, aid and cards are all top notch. The counters look great.

I received the game today and was concerned (based on the above) about punching out the beautiful, thick counters, but all was well: they punched out very easily with gentle finger pressure.

Speaking of which, the countersheet itself was a work of art: I particularly loved the space for the (nanoscale) die to fit in it. Clearly, this is a game made by people having fun at what they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pericles Boutos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today. Wowed by the map and booklet quality as well as by the hefty components. Very nice feeling that they stand out on the hexes that they occupy. Had to be careful with punching out some of the counters but no real problem there. Just a touch of trimming off some excess brought them to tip top shape.

What threw me was the placeholder for the die!! With its name right above it: "The Die"! Gotta love VPG for details like this!

Finally, will we be talking about the distinctive VPG smell a few new games down the road?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Pryor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd be careful in opening the game. At least more careful than I was. I used a knife to cut open the top and managed to halfway slice through the map. Not quite a catastrophe as I use plexiglas, but really not happy with myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pericles1958 wrote:
Finally, will we be talking about the distinctive VPG smell a few new games down the road?

I kinda hope not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
larsterkhan wrote:
I'd be careful in opening the game. At least more careful than I was. I used a knife to cut open the top and managed to halfway slice through the map. Not quite a catastrophe as I use plexiglas, but really not happy with myself.

Um...it's in a ziplock bag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into the entire sensory experience, the laser-cut counters have a distinct "wood burning" smell to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the board a thickish puzzle board like in some other Gold Banner games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.