Subject: In which I don a flame-retardant suit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
An exchange on another RSP thread brought to my mind the recent thread about fostering a welcoming environment for women here on BGG. When the issue of how women or any other group is treated arises, one inevitably gets the two main responses of "Somebody could be offended by anything and so it's stupid to worry about it" or the rules lawyers trying to argue precisely what is and is not to be allowed.

That we are all gamers here on BGG is no genuine excuse. Playing a game is not an excuse for being an obnoxious jerk and neither is posting on the internet.

Really that's all that should need be said. That covers everything from AP in games to posting things that consciously or not assume no women (or whatever other group) use BGG.

If clarification is needed, then one is kindly invited to grow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
You know, somebody could be offended by anything and so it's stupid to worry about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
You know, somebody could be offended by anything and so it's stupid to worry about it.
[picture]

OK This thread is yotzei in that department. Thanks for getting it out of the way so we can move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Uh oh, looks like things are getting hot in here. Guess I better bust out the hose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alaren wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Playing a game is not an excuse for being an obnoxious jerk and neither is posting on the internet.

whac3 wrote:

...so. What's your excuse, then? :p

Well, he did say he used to bully bullies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
whac3 wrote:
OK This thread is yotzei in that department. Thanks for getting it out of the way so we can move on.
I spent almost 2 whole minutes trying to Google what that word means. I had a hunch it wasn't related to word games.
Quote:
* Yotzei (Literal translation: gone out)
One who has properly fulfilled an obligation [H]
I am pleased I have fulfilled my obligations.
Does this make me a mensch?
Quote:
Mensch (מענטש) a Yiddish word that means "a person of integrity." A mensch is someone who is responsible, has a sense of right and wrong and is the sort of person other people look up to. In English the word has come to mean "a good guy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You feel the need to put on a flame-retardant suit to say, "don't be an ass"?

You are definitely over-dressed for the occasion. Maybe add something about being a BGG Literalist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

You are definitely over-dressed for the occasion. Maybe add something about being a BGG Literalist.

Yes, I do. Take a look at the other thread to see why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
whac3 wrote:
I spent almost 2 whole minutes trying to Google what that word means. I had a hunch it wasn't related to word games.
Quote:
Quote:
Mensch (מענטש) a Yiddish word that means "a person of integrity." A mensch is someone who is responsible, has a sense of right and wrong and is the sort of person other people look up to. In English the word has come to mean "a good guy."

"Yotzei" means roughly, "You've fulfilled an obligation".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
spoon wrote:

Yes, I do. Take a look at the other thread to see why.

Well, in that thread, you are making specific claims that are inviting flaming refutation.

In this thread, you have yet to say anything controversial. I want to flame, but this thread has no meat!

At best, we can talk about why you engage in child-hate speech:

whac3 wrote:

As if growing up ever did anybody any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Yotzei" means roughly, "You've fulfilled an obligation".

This has been today's episode of teaching yeshivish to BGG.
Come back next time when Moshe will give a shiur on how to take our chumrahs lightly, and be serious about our kulahs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.