Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the game but they eliminated the dolphins and dive dice because it lowered the price, but doesn't that change it to a different game that might not play as well as the other edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a variant and not part of the standard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless, I'd still like to know if the Dolphins will be available for purchase in the future as a separate mini expansion.

Another question I'd like an answer for concerns the 5-6 Player mini expansion. I'd like to know if the People Tokens included in the mini expansion are identical to the People Tokens included in the 30th Anniversary Edition. I can see that both sets are plastic but I'm interested to know if they are indistinguishable.

Can anyone who knows about the 5-6 Player mini expansion look at the pictures and see any feature that might help make a conclusion? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
kingjames01 wrote:

Can anyone who knows about the 5-6 Player mini expansion look at the pictures and see any feature that might help make a conclusion? Thanks!

I too am very curious if the dolphins/blue dice will be sold as a separate expansion much like the giant squid. I'll most likely purchase it if it is.

The new 30th anniversary meeples are different from the current 5-6 player expansion. Both are made from plastic but the expansion set have grooves cut into the bottom of them and the set comes with a page of numbered stickers that you can put into each groove. The groove helps keep the stickers from coming off after moving the pieces around on the board. It's actually kinda nice but I do like the white numbers stamped into the bottom of the 30th anniversary set as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The dolphins and the blue dice were included in the reprint as "extras" so people had the option of playing by the original Survive! rules or the slightly different Escape from Atlantis rules.

The new 30th Anniversary edition sounds like it will have only the Survive! rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:

Another question I'd like an answer for concerns the 5-6 Player mini expansion. I'd like to know if the People Tokens included in the mini expansion are identical to the People Tokens included in the 30th Anniversary Edition. I can see that both sets are plastic but I'm interested to know if they are indistinguishable.

Based on the pictures, I'd guess not. The plastic people tokens from the expansion have an indented bottom where you place a sticker with a number. I think the 30th anniversary edition appears to have plastic people tokens with the number already printed/indented on the plastic. The new people tokens also seem to be softer regarding their edges, but that may just be me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hpbruin wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:

I too am very curious if the dolphins/blue dice will be sold as a separate expansion much like the giant squid. I'll most likely purchase it if it is.

The new 30th anniversary meeples are different from the current 5-6 player expansion. Both are made from plastic but the expansion set have grooves cut into the bottom of them and the set comes with a page of numbered stickers that you can put into each groove. The groove helps keep the stickers from coming off after moving the pieces around on the board. It's actually kinda nice but I do like the white numbers stamped into the bottom of the 30th anniversary set as well.

larryjrice wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:

Based on the pictures, I'd guess not. The plastic people tokens from the expansion have an indented bottom where you place a sticker with a number. I think the 30th anniversary edition appears to have plastic people tokens with the number already printed/indented on the plastic. The new people tokens also seem to be softer regarding their edges, but that may just be me.

Thanks for the info guys! It's all very useful and leads me to wonder if there will also be a future 5-6 Player mini expansion with People Tokens that is compliant with the 30th Anniversary Edition.

More specifically, this hypothetical mini expansion would contain only 20 more People Tokens that are identical in shape but obviously not colour to match the ones included with the 30th Anniversary Edition.

I did some browsing and found pictures of the People Tokens from the current version of the 5-6 Player mini expansion and I much prefer the printed version to the stickered version.

So, to summarize for Stephen when he eventually sees this:

If (and hopefully when) you release the Dolphins and a revised '30th Anniversary Edition' 5-6 Player mini expansion I will be buying them right away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
kingjames01 wrote:

If (and hopefully when) you release the Dolphins and a revised '30th Anniversary Edition' 5-6 Player mini expansion I will be buying them right away...

Agreed! My mom was already bummed the dolphins won't be included in this edition so as soon as the expansion comes out I'll be buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:

LOL! Nice anticipation of me arriving to see this...

At this exact moment, there is no "new 5-6 Player" mini-expansion or a "Dolphins and Dive Dice" mini-expansion in the works. However, these will be considered.

NOTE: If you want to play with 5-6 Players now, the current "5-6 Player mini-expansion" is still available in the BGG store. Those meeples, while not identical, are compatible, so you could use the White and Orange ones from the current 5-6 Player in this new edition. ALSO, the Giant Squid is still available in the BGG store, as well... pick them both up for $7.50 and $5.00 (total of only $12.50).
[And there is my shoutout to Chad K and Kristine A, who are my interfaces when I toss them the promos! Support BGG and buy promos! ]

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
will the giant squid expansion continue to be stocked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
The dolphins and the blue dice were included in the reprint as "extras" so people had the option of playing by the original Survive! rules or the slightly different Escape from Atlantis rules.

The new 30th Anniversary edition sounds like it will have only the Survive! rules.

That is a bummer man. I really can't imagine playing without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
evilone wrote:

At this exact moment, there is no "new 5-6 Player" mini-expansion or a "Dolphins and Dive Dice" mini-expansion in the works. However, these will be considered.

Lightbulb!

"Survive: we're gonna need a bigger boat"

You could have the squids, dive dice... and an added bonus 'Quint'.

When Quint is in the water, you get an immunity to sharks. Our sharks.

...until Quint is eaten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of disappointed with the changes they made from the 2010 version, it seems arbitrary just to call it the 30th anniversary edition. I want the last version more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Falconer
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
This GeekBadge has the Buddha-nature
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

Stephen, I'd definitely be interested in both of those! If you're trying to gauge support, put me on your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Silvers
United States
adairville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
I'm kind of disappointed with the changes they made from the 2010 version, it seems arbitrary just to call it the 30th anniversary edition. I want the last version more.

You can still find the last version at Barnes and Nobles. I found one Tuesday. There was still one left on the shelf if anyone in Chattanooga is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.