Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have limited funding. As much as I'd like to snag every board game that appeals to me I need to restrict my purchases to something affordable.

Yes, Ogre at $100 isn't really what one would consider affordable, but look at it. Almost everything from the past 30 years in high-quality parts and pieces with 3D constructable Ogres that would go great with kids. No serious hassle, and there are extra goodies that are coming via Kickstarter. When it comes, it's unlikely to ever be coming back, making it collectable (and likely the only Ogre available in the next decade or two??). The only hard part about it seems to be rounding into odds for the CRT. And it's designed to be two or three player.

Or there's Fortress America.

I'm Eying Fortress America because it could be one game that frames my gaming group perfectly. Our star player, who hardly ever looses, could be the American player. And all those who have been pent up and frustrated somewhat annoyed at his continual victories will now have the chance to do as the game was designed to do and gang up on him. It's also a dudes-on-a-map game and those are a big hit with me and my friends. Semi-cooperative play is also good.

I know a guy who owns a previous version of Fortress America and we might play it at our next session to get a feel for what it is, how it works, and so on. But I wanted to hear other gamer's opinions on which would be the better purchase. I'm looking for work right now, and might not get either, but if I was to get one which should I go for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'd state outright with: Fortress America then. Would you concur that 'moi' could objectively OVEREVIEW such also?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start out by saying that I have played both games since they ORIGINALLY came out. I have multiple copies of the original Ogre microgames and all the expansions and I have two copies of the original Fortress America. I like both game a LOT. That said, if I was to choose one of them, it would have to be Fortress America. Ogre is a great game, and you will get a lot of stuff for your kickstarter investment, but it is still a pretty basic game underneath all the pretty new pieces. Fortress America seems much meatier to me whereas Ogre is more of an introduction to wargames. I think that you will get more bang for your buck with Fortress America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

I am going to pile on the FA bandwagon!

Additionally, you should convince your three friends to pitch in $50 apeice to grab OGRE with most of the extras at the $150 level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCarthy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've got to support Ogre. I'm the guy that never got beat on FA. We played one semester (between 1-2 games a day for 4 months) and I lost twice... as America or the others.

They both have pretty simple rules, but there are layers and layers of tactical complexity to Ogre. The maps are huge and can be rotated to create a huge variety of different battlefields. With the mercenary units and multiple Ogres, it would be easy to get into 3-4 player games.

FA just is... it's the same thing every single game. I haven't played since '91 or so and unless the rules have changed to stop the city/card abuse tactic... it's just not fun.

That and $4.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to some of the folks in the Ogre section of BGG I was able to try some of it. It is an awesome, light tactical strategy game. I've yet to bring it to my group to see what they think about it however, but the main concern is "how many players can Ogre support?" The game is built in for 2-3, and usually I have more people who want in on a game. It's kind of iffy to justify spending $100 on a game that can support so little.

FA on the other hand scales between 2-4. Sure, the setup hardly changes, but you can make that claim about something like A Game of Thrones and we still have fun with it.

Hopefully in the next gaming session one of the fathers of one of my attendees can bring the older Fortress America for us to try. I'm not sure if I would buy it off him given the goodies in the reprint, but the experience can help shape my decision.

Thanks all I'd still like to hear commentary on either game and their merits, if anyone has any thoughts, especially pertaining to the Ogre player limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.