Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Morgan
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just picked up Race for the Galaxy, and I am totally enthralled. The problem is my wife is my primary gaming partner, and she is just not feeling this one at all, and isn't really even giving it much of a chance. I don't know what else I can do...I really want to keep playing this one, and I really believe if she gives it a chance she will really like the depth and complexity of strategy!

~Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Generally, that's a tough one...

But for Race, you *need* to download Keldon's PC version. Good AI /and/ multiplayer options... That will scratch the itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
My strategy: get a different game. I have lost several games to this and for me there is no way around it. Good luck though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough one. From my perspective at least. I played Magic the Gathering a lot when I was younger; for some reason RFTG just made my head hurt. I think you're going to have sslllooowwwlllyy introduce your wife to the game by playing open hands when she is in a receptive mood! It took me about 4 or 5 games over 3 or 4 months for Magic to finally click with my wife. Once she got it we played regularly for quite a while.

Slow and steady wins the race...for the galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much you can do. I dont love race, but its pretty good. I liked it a lot at first but it didnt hold up well for me. I can not imagine she will change her mind. Try Lost Cities maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar feeling, but simpler: San Juan, Eminent Domain, or Fleet (just finished Kickstarter funding...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
BMinNY wrote:
We just picked up Race for the Galaxy, and I am totally enthralled. The problem is my wife is my primary gaming partner, and she is just not feeling this one at all, and isn't really even giving it much of a chance. I don't know what else I can do...I really want to keep playing this one, and I really believe if she gives it a chance she will really like the depth and complexity of strategy!

~Brad

If you have a few years, have kids and get them to play. My wife won't play certain games with me just because she prefers others. So I'm hoping in future my daughter will play. In the meantime, I use those games solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the game; pick different games to play with your wife. Hopefully Keldon's AI will keep you satisfied and you'll find a buddy who shares your enjoyment of RftG.

You don't want to reinforce the notion in your wife that playing with you is a chore or something she owes you (doesn't sound like much fun for her). I'd graciously accept the principle that she doesn't have to be pushed to play a game she doesn't enjoy and likely she'll be more receptive to trying out new games with you and overall playing games with you more often.

No one game is worth risking the great gift the geek gods have given you - a live-in game partner. You have a lot of us jealous of you in that respect already!

I'm somewhere in the middle. I play games with my wife that she will play (Stone Age, Ticket to Ride, Battle Line) and I enjoy well enough. If I pushed my beloved Akrham Horror on her, though, it might put us into counseling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is to isolate why she didn't like it and adapt. My wife is a big time gamer but isn't going to play any game with a space or fantasy theme. It just is what it is, so I don't purchase two player games with those themes. (shed a tear for LOTR LCG)

So basically, was it the theme she didn't like or the game mechanics? Or both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am with your wife on this one. I've played a handful of times and just cant get into it. I want to but for some reason I just cant get it. I tried the PC version as well same deal. Thankfully there are lots of other games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent post I read, someone mentioned how she and her partner have a habit of determining a "game of the week". I don't recall if they alternated who chose the game of the week, or whether they had to agree on the decision... in any case, I was inspired.

My partner is not a huge fan of RFTG, but there are definitely games she loves that I feel ho-hum about. I'm excited to try out 'game of the week' because she'll get to dig deep into games she loves that I usually side-step, and RFTG will (eventually) get a week's worth of deliberate reconsideration!

Perhaps 'game-of-the-week' could work for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Promote, but dont push. If the game is worth playing, it's worth playing in a couple of years time when you find an equally enthusiastic opponent. Until then, enjoy the games that you and your partner enjoy - games are much more fun when everyone is enthusiastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since no one else has suggested i yet...

...get a new wife!

Its hard when it turns out you like different things sometimes, but then again it would be very dull if you were both exactly alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bno70_1 wrote:
The key is to isolate why she didn't like it and adapt. My wife is a big time gamer but isn't going to play any game with a space or fantasy theme. It just is what it is, so I don't purchase two player games with those themes. (shed a tear for LOTR LCG)

So basically, was it the theme she didn't like or the game mechanics? Or both?

LotR is brilliant solo. Wipe those tears my friend and go get yourself a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
My strategy: get a different game. I have lost several games to this and for me there is no way around it. Good luck though!

This.

Example: I love Arkham Horror, maybe not as much as I used to, but just love all of the bits, cards, etc. However, due to the play length, everyone in my family would rather break out Betrayal at House On the Hill, Ninjato, Oltre Mare, or Cosmic Encounter.

The first six weeks we owned AH, we played it about 7 times. Since then (about 3 months ago), we have not played it once, and I'm starting to get the feeling that it will rarely (if ever) hit the table again.

That's why AH and the KiY expansion are now on my trade list... Will probably trade it for a 2-hour or less Euro or hybrid eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BMinNY wrote:

~Brad

Get kids. I play Race with my oldest son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will echo other posters and say get Keldon's program, but for a different reason. If you can, make your wife play it - the problem with RftG often seems to be an inability to 'grok' the flow of the game, and playing several quick AI games often helps in this regard. This is what happened to my ex-gf, she didn't like it at first but after fiddling about with Keldon's AI she was converted!

Another suggestion I would make would be to play Puerto Rico, which is easier to pick up. There are strong mechanical ties between PR and Race which could help a player which is familiar with one understand the other. San Juan might be even better for this purpose, but I have never played it so I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG is a fantastic game, but you probably won't convince your wife to like it if she doesn't already. Maybe you can find someone else to play it with, or play on-line. Eventually you must add the expansions. It only gets better and better the more you play. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kali Fitzgerald
United States
Black Earth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty lucky. My husband and I share very similar tastes in games (we both love Race for the Galaxy). There are a few I'm not as crazy about, and a few he isn't as crazy about. We play them anyway. I personally try to keep an open mind. He often sees things in games that I don't and vise versa. There are some great games that I didn't like very much at first but came to love after playing a few times until I grokked them.

As for advise - I would suggest letting it go for awhile then maybe seeing if a few weeks or months down the road her perspective has changed at all. Sometimes after playing other things or even being away from something for a little while allows a person to see it in a whole new light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my small group if someone doesn't like a game, then we play something else. One of the guys is quite picky, so then if me and the other guys want to play a certain game that he doesn't like, we just play it at another time without him.

By the way, I agree with your wife about race for the galaxy, and dislike the game. Sounds like you need to get some new friends who will play it with you, or just sell it and get something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jj w
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Find another game and hope to get more gaming buddies in the future where you can dust RotG off. Plus, hold off on the expansions since you won't be playing it that much. I have a couple of those games ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BMinNY wrote:

~Brad

Get the 1st expansion it comes with an absolutely fantastic Solo game experience that can be pretty challenging to defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find my GF doesn't like playing many games and it comes down to competition against me. By the time I've bought a game I have researched, read the rules and maybe a FAQ or two, so I have a pretty solid understanding of the game. She comes into it seeing only the box art and hearing my explanations. She feels outmatched, so we play co-op games instead. That way she doesn't feel overwhelmed. I hear this can be a major point against Race (never played personally).

You could try to break it out when others are over, she might be more willing to learn if there are others playing who are new to it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to get the solo expansion OR you can play it on www.boardgamearena.com .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't push too hard or she'll stop playing with you. Just admit that there are games she'll like and games she'll dislike. I'm not a big fan of RftG myself but I love San Juan.

Best thing to do when you can't find players? Play online. There are always players available and you get to enjoy the game with people who like it, too. So this is +1 for the Board Game Arena recommendation. I've never played RftG there, but I've played some of their other games.. and they're just really well-done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.