Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7.3 OTP: Any Terrain card... can be placed on an opposing group in lieu of a discard.

13.3 Wire: A Wire card can be placed on an opposing group in lieu of a discard.

14.1 Snipers: ...any player with a Sniper card may play it provided he does so as a discard.

The snipers discard requirement is the same thing as "in lieu of a discard" is it not? If it's the same thing I'm not sure why they changed the wording. If it's different I don't know how it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think they play exactly the same. The editor slipped up. The only difference in play is that you must *have* a sniper to play a Sniper as a discard. If you've lost your sniper or the scenario says you have no sniper then you can only discard your Sniper in the usual sense, you can't play it as a discard.

Maybe it came out different because the other cards are discarded onto the group while the Sniper actually does cause a particular procedure to be executed.

Don't worry, I think you're playing correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Maybe it came out different because the other cards are discarded onto the group while the Sniper actually does cause a particular procedure to be executed.

This is a reasonable explanation. There is no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Yes, all these cards (Terrain, Wire and Sniper) are used as discards. At first sight there seems to be no reason for the difference in wording, but on thinking about it, it may be that the phrase "in lieu of a discard" was used because the Terrain and Wire cards go on the table, on the relevant group, and stay there until rejected or removed, whereas the Sniper card goes into the discard pile once its attack is resolved.

Perhaps the writer was trying to avoid the question "well if the Terrain is discarded how come it goes on a group? Surely it should go in the discard pile?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.