Popular Tags: [View All]
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Just one question:

Can a run of 2 pairs be beaten by a run of 4 singles?
Example: 6,7 6,7 was played. Since it's defined as a street with 4 cards can it be beaten by a 6 ,7,8,9 of the same color, that is also defined as a street with 4 cards.

Regards
Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Both combinations of cards are streets and have the same number of cards. This may be legal according to the wording of the rules. But I am not sure, because there is a problem determining which combination is higher. Does it depend on the highest card(s) of the streets? It could also be the lowest card(s) of the streets. The (German) rules don't include anything about this question.
So maybe a certain kind of street can only be beaten by the same kind of street with higher cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Braz wrote:
Can a run of 2 pairs be beaten by a run of 4 singles?
Example: 6,7 6,7 was played. Since it's defined as a street with 4 cards can it be beaten by a 6 ,7,8,9 of the same color, that is also defined as a street with 4 cards.

No. The 2 pairs 6,7,6,7 can only be beaten by another 2 pairs of higher rank (i.e 7,8,7,8 or higher). The 6,7,8,9 is a sequence (or run) and not 2 pairs.

The rules state that "To be higher ranking, the new combination must be of the exact same type, have the exact same number of cards, and have higher ranking cards. So if a single card is led, only a higher single card can be played; if a pair is led only a higher pair can be laid; a three card sequence can only be beaten by a higher three card sequence; and so on." (Bold mine).

Edit: Of course, a Bomb could be played, which in turn can only be beaten by a higher ranking Bomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, that it is not legal..... But I'm not 100% sure....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you need to follow the exact same structure led.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
The rules state that "To be higher ranking, the new combination must be of the exact same type, have the exact same number of cards, and have higher ranking cards. So if a single card is led, only a higher single card can be played; if a pair is led only a higher pair can be laid; a three card sequence can only be beaten by a higher three card sequence; and so on." (Bold mine).

Thank you for the clarification. The English rules are clear. The German rules unfortunately are not. I alyways played it right because of my Tichu background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks also for clarification.

Concerning the english rules...
Quote:
the new combination must be of the exact same type

That`s exactly also the part, where I got stock, since the same "type" meant for me: Street or pairs....but obviously one has to consider different groups/styles within one big group (e.g. street).

Anyhow: Now it`s clear for me: Thanks to everybody.

Regards
Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.