David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to give everyone a quick update of my review and session report a few posts back.

After playing a few more 2-player games with my daughter, I invited a group of three boys over from church (ages 13-14) that have never played or heard of the game. In fact they had never played a cooperative game at all. I introduced them to Flashpoint using the recruit level experienced game, although I mistakenly placed 4 hazmats instead of three. My 6th daughter played with them to make a team of four while I monitored for rules, fireplacement, etc.

I'm not going to go into detail, but the first game ended with the building falling down on their heads. They only saved two victims and lost three. To my surprise, they immediately wanted to play again.

The second game ended similarly, the building again fell down on them. This time they had saved five victims and lost two. Again, they immediately wanted to play again. In fact one of the boys commented, "We are going to keep playing this game until we beat it."

Again, they played... Things were going smoothly in the 3rd game and it looked like they might easily get a win. Then, all heck broke loose on repeated fire advance rolls and they found themselves on the verge of defeat once again. The anguish and disappointment was evident on their faces and the tension was apparent every time they had to roll the dice. Me... I was enjoying every minute of it, being sure to yell out, "Explosion!!!" every time they rolled one.

They were down to the last twisted two by four, the only remaining block holding up the building, when they pulled the last victim out of the building and won the game. For fun, I had them roll the dice again for fire advance and sure enough their roll would have caused another explosion and lost them the game. They had won, but only by the skin of their teeth.

Some things I noticed. The kids were totally engaged. They were constantly talking, badgering each other when they rolled bad die, making funny comments about map locations (being in the shower, on the toilet, etc.), and more generally discussing their future or non-future as potential fireman based on how the game was going.

There was alot of chatter and excitement going on, so much so that my wife and older daughter (who don't enjoy boardgames much) came out to see what all the fuss was about. They both commented that the game looked fun and that they'd be interested in playing it in the future. In fact, my wife said, "We should play more games together as a family." Being a boardgame geek, that was like music to my ears and worth the price of the game...

Anyway, I really had fun playing this game with a group of boys that had never played any form of cooperative game. They are definitely interested in playing this one again (they told me so), and are open to more gaming opportunities in the future as a result. This is a great gateway game and I might have to consider upping my rating on this one in the future.

edit: spelling and grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
In fact, my wife said, "We should play more games together as a family."

When a game can do that you know it is good. That is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.