Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just throwing this into the world because I saw a few trends at the prereleae I attended, and wanted to see if they showed up elsewhere.

So, yeah! If you went to multiple events, please only answer in a way that reflects one of those. Feel free to brag about as many of your mytics as you want though.
Poll: How
What color(s) did you build your deck with?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Black
42.1% 8
Blue
42.1% 8
Green
21.1% 4
Red
36.8% 7
White
78.9% 15
Voters 19
How many colors did you put in your deck?
Mono-color
0.0% 0
Dual color
94.7% 18
Trichromatic malarkey
5.3% 1
Quad-colored chaos
0.0% 0
Rainbow hoarding
0.0% 0
Voters 19
Did you play any of these themes? (Just including the ones that appeared to be built in)
Creature Death/Sacrificing/Returning (Including Demons)
5.9% 1
Humans/Angels
76.5% 13
Vampires
0.0% 0
Devils
5.9% 1
Zombies
0.0% 0
Something Not Creature Based (You rebel, you)
11.8% 2
Voters 17
Did you play/build with a goal of getting those achievements?
Yes, highscore battle style!
0.0% 0
Only until the Helvault opened
5.9% 1
No, but the Vault opened anyways
88.2% 15
No, our event's Vault remaied sealed
5.9% 1
Voters 17
What mythics did you get or see?
  Got in a pack Got in a trade Saw at the event Vote Count
Avacyn, Angel of Hope 25.0% (2) 0.0% (0) 87.5% (7) 8
Bonfire of the Damned 20.0% (1) 0.0% (0) 80.0% (4) 5
Bruna, Light of Alabaster 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 100.0% (7) 7
Craterhoof Behemoth 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 100.0% (8) 8
Descent into Madness 60.0% (3) 0.0% (0) 40.0% (2) 5
Entreat the Angels 14.3% (1) 0.0% (0) 85.7% (6) 7
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight 16.7% (2) 0.0% (0) 83.3% (10) 12
Griselbrand 11.1% (1) 11.1% (1) 77.8% (7) 9
Malignus 66.7% (4) 0.0% (0) 50.0% (3) 6
Misthollow Griffin 57.1% (4) 0.0% (0) 42.9% (3) 7
Primal Surge 40.0% (2) 0.0% (0) 60.0% (3) 5
Sigarda, Host of Herons 33.3% (3) 0.0% (0) 66.7% (6) 9
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage 9.1% (1) 0.0% (0) 90.9% (10) 11
Temporal Mastery 25.0% (2) 0.0% (0) 75.0% (6) 8
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded 18.2% (2) 0.0% (0) 81.8% (9) 11
Total Voters 18
This poll is now closed.   19 answers
Poll created by jack of spades
Closes: Sun May 13, 2012 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I opened 3 black demons, Griselbrand, Demonlord of Ashmouth and Treacherous Pit-Dweller. I even dared to play the last one because I had a Bloodflow Connoisseur and looked like a good drop if my opponent had an empty hand (though I sideboarded him out almost every time)

Since I had minimum removal in black (only one Ghoulflesh and one Necrobite) I had to play red for two Thunderbolts, a Pillar and a Guise of Flame. Also a Zealous Conscripts, which was nice but only played him once.

I considered a third color for some nice green creatures, including a Wolfir Silverheart, but I would then have trouble playing my BB demons, so I simply went straight 2-color

Ended up 4-2, and both games I lost went to luck of the draw. I played Griselbrand three times, in two of them it was too late and I lost, in the third one I barely won

All-star: Demonlord of Ashmouth, he is almost unbeatable, and my two Hanweir Lancer, which were a huge pain to my opponent every time I played them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Did not attend any prereleases, but had to shake my head at the typical spoiled-child responses from the Magic community over some stores getting better (i.e. foil judge promos) Helvaults than others. It takes the Magic community to get free stuff, then pitch a fit because others got slightly better free stuff than they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, mine were quite disappointing (oversized W-R angel, two tokens), reminded me how worse Wizards promo cards have become the past years. You once got awesome cards, nowadays you get commons.

Still didn't whine about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Did not attend any prereleases, but had to shake my head at the typical spoiled-child responses from the Magic community over some stores getting better (i.e. foil judge promos) Helvaults than others. It takes the Magic community to get free stuff, then pitch a fit because others got slightly better free stuff than they did.

I agree. No matter what WotC do, there's a hoard of whiners on the MtG forums complaining about it. Spoiled brats indeed.

I didn't attend the prerelease this time. Maybe the Magic 2013 one, or the Return to Ravnica one in the autumn. Can't miss that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to note that my local store didn't give us the d20s. I suppose they kept them for sale later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
b a n j o wrote:
I'd also like to point out though, in the world of games, this behavior isn't limited to the magic-community. I am positive a cursory level of research would unearth a lot of less-than-positive posts about various board games.
I guess there are some people that get bent outta shape about board game promos as well. What mystifies me is that Magic is an inherently blind-purchase gaming experience. It's what we all do, we all open packs and hope for the best. I'm not sure why cracking open a pre-release Helvault suddenly puts people in a mindset of, "Well, I'm getting the best of everything today!"
Moonleaf wrote:
Well, mine were quite disappointing (oversized W-R angel, two tokens), reminded me how worse Wizards promo cards have become the past years. You once got awesome cards, nowadays you get commons.
This I will definitely agree with.
Moonleaf wrote:
I'd like to note that my local store didn't give us the d20s. I suppose they kept them for sale later
It's sad to read so many stories of shop-owners doing just this. They would get a plethora of stuff in the Helvault, but they decide to ration out 1 item per participant, then throw the majority of the stuff on eBay. Some didn't even bother distributing the contents of the 2nd Helvault and just decided to chuck everything in it up on eBay. If I were Wizards and found shop-owners not only doing this, but bragging about it to paying customers I would have some words for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way Wizards hyped up the Helvault only to have it contain oversized cards, tokens and d20's is pretty horrible mismanagement of expectations. People say we shouldn't complain about free merchandise, but that merchandise was part of the experience of doing the pre-release and players of course paid for that experience.

I thought the premise behind the Helvault was awesome, I'm just dissappointed in its execution.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Here's what I was hoping for in the Helvault:

10 or so different demons that aren't part of the Avacyn Restored set, so they wouldn't be legal in Standard but they would be legal for EDH and perhaps the Eternal formats.

Just something that would represent all the special demons that Avacyn put in the Helvault over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring monetary value, the thing given away that I'd be most excited by is an oversized Griselbrand. That'd be so cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a little bit different perspective since I'm a newer player and this was my first Sealed event, but I have no complaints about the contents of the Helvault. I also love the Theme from the entire Innistrad set as that's what finally drew me into Magic after 18 years

I have exactly two D20 Spindown counters (one from an Innistrad Fat Pack, and one from my Dark Ascension Fat Pack), so getting another one in the gray color to get a "piece" of Innistrad's silver moon to play with is kinda cool. It goes with the theme that I'm liking right now.

The flip card token is also I nice little touch since I've been having trouble pulling the tokens that I want to play with out of packs. Sure you can use anything for a token, but again, I like the theme.

The oversized cards are what got me though. Before this weekend, I didn't really know what Commander/EDH was. I had heard the term, but to tell you the truth, when a newbie hears experienced Magic players talk about Magic, it all sounds like a foreign language. (I do not know the name of any card or what it does off the top of my head other than the ones in my hand that I'm looking at.)

But guess what, I walked away with a Griselbrand and Avacyn oversized Commander card (one guy didn't want his). At first, I was going to try to sell them or trade them since everyone was talking down about them, but after I did a little search into Commander, I think I'm going to keep them and build a Black deck and White deck out of my Innistrad block cards to fight each other. More fun with the theme.

So there you have it. WotC played up to the theme that I like, and they got me interested in another way to keep playing their game through Commander and have fun while doing it. I'm happy about that.

Also, we all got the foil artifact promo before the tournament that everyone seemed to be excited about.

I know I'm not griseled and jaded yet, but for "relatively" free stuff, I walked away fairly pleased with my Prerelease experience.

Plus I went 2-2-1 in my first Sealed event winning as many games as I lost

Match 1: 1-1-1
Match 2: 0-2
Match 3: 1-2
Match 4: 2-1
Match 5: 2-0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
delirimouse wrote:
Ignoring monetary value, the thing given away that I'd be most excited by is an oversized Griselbrand. That'd be so cool!

Geekmail me your address, and I will mail you one. No charge.

Wow. That's pretty cool of you b a n j o. As a newbie, if anyone else out there was less than impressed with their oversized cards, I'd definitely be interested to take them off your hand to try to build my own Innistrad block Commander decks.

As I said above, I was able to leave the Pre-Release with a Griselbrand and an Avacyn that another player gave to me, but I'd be happy to take the other three angels off your hands.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Did any of the other Legendary Creatures from the Innistrad block have oversized Commander cards? I'm an Innistrad fan and it'd be cool to have Innistrad and Dark Ascesion oversized cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
delirimouse wrote:

Geekmail me your address, and I will mail you one. No charge.

That's awesome! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
I thought the premise behind the Helvault was awesome, I'm just dissappointed in its execution.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Here's what I was hoping for in the Helvault:

10 or so different demons that aren't part of the Avacyn Restored set, so they wouldn't be legal in Standard but they would be legal for EDH and perhaps the Eternal formats.

Just something that would represent all the special demons that Avacyn put in the Helvault over the years.

While I liked what we got in the Helvault with Avacyn and Griselbrand and the Legendary angels as well as the Angel and Demon tokens all being "released" from the Helvault along with the "pieces" of Innistrad's silver moon (the D20's) "exploding" off the Helvault, I do think your suggestion would've been even more awesome to go along with the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the 'some stores getting slightlyinfinitely more valuable stuff' (Seriously, dozens of judge promos versus tokens and oversized cards?) thing, is that it wasn't at random. The only one's with a chance to get it were the bigger, advanced stores.

I get how this doesn't matter much to those living in sub/urban areas, because the difference is probably just how much energy and effort a store owner wants to put into supporting the MTG community. But to someone living in rural areas (like the wasteland of Maine) it really seems very unfair because the size of a store has nothing to do with an owner's love of the game, or their devotion to a player base (Well not always) it just has to do with how many players live in the area.

And they didn't announce it. So now there is all sorts of doubt in my mind about what I should do. If I know there's a good chance that I have NO shot at a promotion like this, that players won't even know is available until it's too late, if I go to my favorite store, which might be smaller, should I go to a different store?

What if one's chance of opening a mythic rare were twice as good at advanced level stores? Would anyone buy packs anywhere else?

Wizards handled this poorly.

On the topic of what decks were played at the prereleases: the top tables at the three I went to (13, 25, 16 players-ish?) were pretty much all red/white. Those colors were so powerful together in sealed. Aggressive early game with enough flyers with some toughness to get to the late game.

Though I ended up playing u/b/r, u/w, and g/r and got 21 packs, so I guess one didn't HAVE to play r/w.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The replies to this thread remind me how happy I am to play Magic at a small store. We had a rather small event, but ended up getting 2 Helvaults for some unknown reason. So, everyone who played got a die (2 or 3 if they bothered the owner after the smoke had cleared) and almost everyone got a full set of oversized promos as well as a handful of tokens. I volunteered to not get the oversized cards because I didn't see myself doing anything worthwhile with them, but everyone left very happy with the results of the 'Vault's opening. The extra dice ended up going into the bin of random dice for sale.

I played red/white in the prerelease (almost entirely because I wanted to play with Tyrant of Discord and Cloud Shift), and almost everyone I saw who wasn't also running Boros was flying Simic (UG) colors, mainly focusing on soulbinding their way into giant creatures with evasion. I only saw one or two people out of three dozen who were playing with black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.