Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which do you prefer playing, Game of Thrones board game or card game and why? Going to buy one to play and trying to figure out which one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
Just got to play the board game for the first time this weekend. I would recommend it over the card game. I bought the card game under the assumption that it was more or less complete (I got it with the martell and grey joy expansions). Only after I played a couple of games and did some research did I realize that it really isn't a stand alone game. Some people are of the opinion that the decks in the base box are not balanced by themselves, you have to get the family expansions and build a deck, which isn't what I wanted.
The board game was pretty enjoyable.

If you are just looking to get into the GoT themes, they both do that pretty good, but in different ways. The card game focuses more on the characters while the board game focus more on the general house and the territory they control. So if you play as the Starks, you control the north and have to contend with the grey joys coming from the west, lannisters from the south, and baratheons from the east, but Rob Stark isn't really a big part of your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
The boardgame is smashing. (I don't own it but my best gaming friend does)

The card game disappointed me A LOT for two players (with the base game only).
Plus I think everybody would agree that the LCG systems by FFG area suckers for your money. And They do that in a BAD way: providing a meh experience until you've spent at least three times what you planned to spnd in the first place.

The only LCG I'd advise is Warhammer: Invasion, since the out of the box experience was brilliant from start for my wife and I. But a lot of people would disagree on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cuthbertson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
The boardgame is smashing. (I don't own it but my best gaming friend does)

The card game disappointed me A LOT for two players (with the base game only).
Plus I think everybody would agree that the LCG systems by FFG area suckers for your money. And They do that in a BAD way: providing a meh experience until you've spent at least three times what you planned to spnd in the first place.

The only LCG I'd advise is Warhammer: Invasion, since the out of the box experience was brilliant from start for my wife and I. But a lot of people would disagree on that.

To be fair, I've heard a lot of good things about the LotR LCG in terms of included cards and whatnot. The GoT LCG sounds awesome, but (as you eluded to), you need to buy a couple copies to get enough of the base cards for 3 people to play (I think, I'm just going from what I've read about it). From my understanding, the LotR game seems like a better bang for your buck in terms of what you're getting in the box.

To the question at hand, I've only played the GoT board game and had a great time when I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb

I also wouldn't recommend the card game. I got introduced to it by an avid player, got to play a preconstructed deck and wanted to like it a lot, but it turned out too long and a bit too complicated. If you are serious about gaming, you just can't afford not to buy a lot of expansions for any LCG, and what's even worse, to play it regularly to have the proper experience. An advantage for card gamers, but a disadvantage for most board gamers.

The board game on the other hand is a great experience. I really like the mechanics, it's less abstract and really plays like a game of thrones. I can't decide how it should be played: in a regular group (prone to group thinking and strategy railroading) or the opposite (more difficult to predict anything), but certainly not mixed: you wouldn't want to join a group you haven't played with, but which plays regularily in the same company. The game has to very big flaws however: you can be excluded out of competition very early in the game and become bored or just focused on helping your enemies not to win the game, and it's far from balanced. I understand that this type of game should balance itself by alliances, but as is, in 2ed, it's possible for one house to cripple a neighbour without help, something that just should not happen in a diplomatic game.

There are also Battles of Westeros, to make your decision harder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
appreciate everyone's comments, looks like i will take the board game home, have been waiting to watch the series, on long wait at Netflicks so it looks like gaming first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.