Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I considered responding to another thread and decided that I preferred not to. It also seemed to me that the topic on which the vast majority of the discussion focused would disappear if one word of the title changed.

So, I changed it.

And I'm curious to know – what do y'all think about hitting on people during board game events?

I'd think it would depend, in part, on what kind of events are at issue. A local, regular get-together, for instance, has a very different dynamic from a convention.

I don't believe I've ever hit on anyone at either in the sense of Making the Move at the game table. As a woman, I'm more likely to be the "hittee" and thus less likely to need to step into "hitter" shoes. I'm certainly not opposed to it, though.

Obviously, the style of move matters – commentary on body parts, for instance, is less likely to fly than engaging chatter.

So, what think others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am usually too absorbed at the gaming table to even think about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't, I really have better things to do. Also I dislike the idea of all of my life revolving around boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that the first thread, started here in what is consider the dredges of BGG by most people, has turned into some asinine project of being PC, is generally why I don't participate too much in RSP. Too many people waste too much of their precious time trying to find hidden meaning in everything everyone says, or in this case types. It is ridiculous, I am pretty much a person who means exactly what he says at all times, there are no hidden meanings to anything I say unless I am purposely trying to be witty or make a point.

That being said and to answer your question, Many, many times with plenty of success. It is fairly easy to "hit on" people that share the same interests as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I day I proposed to my wife, we played a few games in the park. She noted however that I seemed rather distracted.

Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
The fact that the first thread, started here in what is consider the dredges of BGG by most people, has turned into some asinine project of being PC, is generally why I don't participate too much in RSP. Too many people waste too much of their precious time trying to find hidden meaning in everything everyone says, or in this case types. It is ridiculous, I am pretty much a person who means exactly what he says at all times, there are no hidden meanings to anything I say unless I am purposely trying to be witty or make a point.

That being said and to answer your question, Many, many times with plenty of success. It is fairly easy to "hit on" people that share the same interests as you.

If you think that an exercise in PC, you really need to pay attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:

If you think that an exercise in PC, you really need to pay attention.

Moshe, I generally truly enjoy reading what you have to say in RSP, you seem to be rather intelligent and I also enjoy reading your views and thoughts on being Jewish.

That being said, you were the first person to take what was a simple question by a poster and turn it into "this is why there is hostile environment for women in gaming".

The guy asked a simple question and it has turned into a 4 page debate on whether or not the poster is a insensitive jackass with his choice of words. I am sorry but no one on this planet has the right to not be offended by someone else. It is an impossible ideal and would make the world a rather dull place.

As another poster in the original thread pointed out, he has no interest in participating in threads about reading through the bible, so guess what? He does not click on any of those threads. Why is it that people who are insulted or offended so often feel the need to participate in something that offends them? Why can't those people just not participate in a thread that holds no interest for them other than the fact they have been offended or insulted in some manner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not put your thoughts on that in the other thread, which has already been taken off-topic instead of derailing this one also?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Why not put your thoughts on that in the other thread, which has already been taken off-topic instead of derailing this one also?

The words pot and kettle come to mind for some reason.

And to answer your question I had no intention of derailing this thread until I was basically challenged to do so.

And with that said, my participation in this thread will end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Sure, I've flirted while at gaming cons or other game nights.

But I don't kiss and tell.

cool

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
oriecat wrote:

And to answer your question I had no intention of derailing this thread until I was basically challenged to do so.

"The fact that the first thread, started here in what is consider the dredges of BGG by most people, has turned into some asinine project of being PC, is generally why I don't participate too much in RSP. Too many people waste too much of their precious time trying to find hidden meaning in everything everyone says, or in this case types. It is ridiculous, I am pretty much a person who means exactly what he says at all times, there are no hidden meanings to anything I say unless I am purposely trying to be witty or make a point."
Reads like a de-rail to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP isn't about serious discussion. It's whole purpose is thread derailment.

With regards to the OP, no because I game with a bunch of guy friends who are all married except for one other, and he's not my type, since I only "hit on" women.

I really can't think of any setting that is completely off limits with regards to trying to set up a date or "hook up". Of course, flirting is sometimes just flirting, and I'd rather have any and all "hey you want to grab coffee" invitations to take place after the game is over, and not during.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Having been to scores of events, including GenCon, Origins and assorted smaller conventions I will say that almost every female who appealed to me in that special way was there with her husband or boyfriend. It may not seem like I have a moral base or ethical bar but I do - I am not at all prone to attempting to score or even flirt with ladies who are already involved.

On the other hand, if a guy really doesn't care who he takes a run at, GenCon and Origins are just brimming with elvish women from the planet Crisco and more thigh-heavy Princess Leia's than you can shake an underused wanker at.

After some further thought I suspect that if I was at an event where Lawson was in attendance I would not hit on her. Common sense tells me that nobody who posts here is anything other than a huge longshot at even getting to first base. Which leaves only one possibility for a Tripp-Lawson romantic interlude - mercy, sweet mercy, from her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
As married, I'm so fucking boring that no one really wants to hear about it. The best I can do these days is to make games like Luna as dirty as possible with my husband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that hard to do, as you attempt to reactivate his novice and get it into your temple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
only if they support me into sevastopol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
I usually leave my gun at home.

Talk about thread derailment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
I usually leave my gun at home.

Talk about thread derailment...

A Chrisitan would say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more curious what people consider "hitting on" someone. As I mentioned to Jared, I don't think I've ever hit on someone in the classic sense of approaching a stranger and attempting to initiate something with the intent of it leading to sex or intimacy. It's just not my thing. (A big part of it is that the physical aspect of attraction is generally less important to me than mental aspects so hitting on an unknown hottie for me would be like Jared hitting on someone based on roll of the dice.)

I've certainly taken the initiative with people I was interested in, but that interest has always existed from prior interaction and there's usually been some sign of reciprocation. So what counts as hitting on someone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I'm more curious what people consider "hitting on" someone. As I mentioned to Jared, I don't think I've ever hit on someone in the classic sense of approaching a stranger and attempting to initiate something with the intent of it leading to sex or intimacy.

I think "hitting on" somebody is taking initiative to get closer to them because you are interested in them. For me, being "interested" doesn't necessarily mean knowing that I'd like to tumble them – it's more likely to mean knowing that I'd like to spend more time with them and figure out if I'd like to tumble them (and vice versa).

If you don't know people, then, of course, somebody has to make an approach. (I trained myself to do this as a young adult, and it made me much more empathetic to men, to whom this task generally falls. Generally, I only need, and use, this skill with other women.)

Beyond that, it's finding commonalities and opportunities to spend more time together. For instance, a guy I know "hit on" me a few months ago by asking me to sing the female part in the songs he's composing. I declined that particular request, but his asking me let me know that he wanted to spend time with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
oriecat wrote:

That's for the best, as I find your microbadges disgusting and offensive.

Green Bay Packers? This is a site for families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaren
United States
flag msg tools
Turtle Power
badge
all the way down
mb
As I said in the other thread, I think friendship is a great foundation for an intimate relationship and I think gaming events are a good place to make friends. Better, probably, than many. I can only guess how stable a relationship founded on games might be, but I'd venture that it would more stable than one founded on liquor.

It is possible that I do not actually understand the phenomenon of "picking up" or "hitting on" women, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corross wrote:
I think "hitting on" somebody is taking initiative to get closer to them because you are interested in them. For me, being "interested" doesn't necessarily mean knowing that I'd like to tumble them – it's more likely to mean knowing that I'd like to spend more time with them and figure out if I'd like to tumble them (and vice versa).

Makes sense. That I've certainly done...although then "hitting on" becomes pretty broad. (As opposed to calling someone a "pretty broad" in the hopes that they'll come home with you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:
oriecat wrote:

That's for the best, as I find your microbadges disgusting and offensive.

Green Bay Packers? This is a site for families.

Just when I thought I was out...

They pull me back in.

Let me know when the Bears are relevant again and then we can discuss the offensive nature of my microbadges.

Edit: And this time I really am done no matter how much you try to sully the name of the 2nd greatest professional sports franchise to ever exist. The 1st would unfortunately have to be the Yankees.

Okay, seriously I am out as I have already been accused of derailing this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wouldn't know how to hit on someone if I was taught how, I lost that skill years ago.

I mean what would be a good opening line? What about 'Hey babes, if I roll the dice will ya roll with me?

or 'Hey babes I'm a Dominant Species, wanna be my Sub Species?'

or 'I'd love to see your Paths of Glory'

or 'I don't like losing deliberately, I'd rather spank you than spank myself'

or 'Agricola? Sorry I thought you said Animal Farm'

I think I need help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.