Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
decided to follow up our first report with another, now that she has got the hang of the game.

so the last session showed serious confusion straight off the bat for sarah, having never played a deck building game before, indeed, most of the games we have played do not even have a personal deck to draw from (tbh i dont think anything we have played does).

our first session took around 2hrs to play, for a 45 minute game this was quite a stretch, but thankfully this time it didnt last anywhere near as long. Sarah seemed much more in tune with what she had to do, what her own goal in the game was going to be, and when she could do stuff.

Last game saw multiple attempts by sarah to discard into my discard pile, get confused by what was her hand at what was not, whose deck was whose, what she was doing when her deck ran out (seeing her shuffle her remaining hand into the deck a few times). Therefore this time i plugged tabletop management from the off. i kept reminding her where to put her discards what to do with her hand while looking at planets etc etc. i think this had an impact on speeding up the game, and by the end she was on top of things and knew where everything was. i kept having to remind her to draw up to five at the end of her turn though, and she never seemed to remember the dissenting-draw thing.

I was a little worried at the start that she did not have any sort of plan. i was proven wrong however when she seemed to go for a total war approach, and quickly built up a deck with lots of warfare and survey cards, and a few research and tech cards to help her on her way. her deck quickly became bloated with these though and she seemed to hit a wall at some point. i had decided to go the settle/trade route and picked up the influence tech cards (and the trade-influence ones) and quickly thinned my deck down to a trade engine that very quickly wiped out all of the influence tokens for a clear lead and win.

i think that sarah's main problem was that she wasnt thinning her deck at all, and seemed to rather not do any action than use a research to get rid of her trade cards or survey cards. i do think i may have been lucky on planets draws, with duel resource cards and production symbol planets. i think as soon as i got the trade engine running she had no chance as i was picking up 6 influence every 2-3 rounds.

overall a massive improvement on the last game, it went quicker, sarah seemed more involved and seemed what she was doing. I think next game i am going to try to get the importance of deck thinning and discarding into her head, as i am not sure she understands why this could be a good idea quite yet.

roll on game three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a lot of trouble with deck-thinning myself the first time I played Dominion. Why in the world would I want LESS things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
I had a lot of trouble with deck-thinning myself the first time I played Dominion. Why in the world would I want LESS things?

Ah... If WalMart has taught us anything in North America it's that when you only NEED 1 T-shirt, why settle for paying $12 to purchase 1 when you can pay $20 and gain 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clegg
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:

Ah... If WalMart has taught us anything in North America it's that when you only NEED 1 T-shirt, why settle for paying $12 to purchase 1 when you can pay $20 and gain 2?

And why settle for 2-for-$20 at WalMart when you can get a crate of 100 for $500 at CostCo?

...Paul

PS> I like these reviews; my stepdaughter is just turning 9, and hopefully I can get her to start thinking like a gamer over the next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.