22 Posts

Monopoly Deal Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Any card designers out there??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kibbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family loves to play Monopoly Deal. We frequently make up our own rules to mix it up a bit, and I would like to introduce some new cards to the standard deck. I've found some new card ideas on BGG, on other sites, and have made up some on my own. I'd like to print a set on ArtsCow, but would like to have a deck that looks somewhat like the original, instead of just a scanned card back with simple text on the front.

Is there anyone willing to lend their art/computer skills to making an expansion deck? My Photoshop skills are not up to the task!

Any new card suggestions are welcome, too.

Thanks!

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Dallas
Pennsylvania
msg tools
I lifted my piece of summer, like a piece of a memory or a dream..
mbmbmb
There is a version produced in Hong Kong that comes with new action cards. I'm not sure it's a legitimate production, but they can be found on eBay.

They are:

Go To Jail - Force any one player to skip their next turn.

Double Sly Deal - Just like Sly Deal, except you can take two cards.

Speeding Fine - Force any two players to discard one card from their hand.

Pay My Rent - When you are charged rent, you can shift the responsibility to another player.

"You Inherit" - Take a card from another player. I'm not entirely sure if this is randomly from their hand, or what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kibbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I've added these to my list in one form or another!

I'm trying to get Jack Reda (The Warp) to help me out with this. He has made some awesome expansions in the past, such a a few sets for Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'd be interested in tackling this if Jack isn't available- shoot me a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kibbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cilantro - I sent you a PM (in case you don't get email notifications).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkibbe wrote:
I would like to introduce some new cards to the standard deck.

I've not tried my hand at creating cards but I am interested in your project. I have purchased several decks for family and friends and it might just be a cool gift to give them a custom expansion set. Let me know how things are going maybe I could contribute in one way or another.

jkibbe wrote:
We frequently make up our own rules to mix it up a bit.

Either we misread the rules or I was taught the wrong way but it has now become a house rule to only allow 1 property card to be placed per turn. Not slapping down full sets as the rules actually permit. The result is that the games are a tad longer and your moves are somewhat telegraphed. Makes for a fun variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kibbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,

Thanks for your interest in my little pet project for Monopoly Deal. Jack Reda should begin working on it as soon as he takes a break from his current "from-the-ground-up" game design. I sent him a ton of ideas for new cards, and if all works out, he'll make them into Monopoly Deal cards that will be purchasable via ArtsCow. Jack has made expansion cards for Pandemic available ArtsCow, and you can't tell them from the originals. If things don't work out for whatever reason I'll reopen the "help wanted for free" offer again.

The main rule change that we often use is playing with our banked money face down to allow a little mystery as to what others have.

Stay tuned!

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a template for a separate deck of "Chance" cards, which doesn't use any licensed materials, and should be copacetic for printing at your favorite Print On Demand location (Bridge-sized, which precludes Artscow, though it is easy enough to convert it to Poker size).

Shown here is the first card in Jason's spreadsheet of card ideas. I won't have time to make up a full deck of cards any time soon, but I am happy to send the template to anyone who wants it, and by all means feel free to modify/delete/add whatever to it.

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob harper
msg tools
This is exactly what I want too. My family are crazed over this game. Where can I buy your sets or can you send me a list of your ideas so I could get them made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Jomer
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my girlfriend are currently developing a game quite similar to Monopoly deal. It's called Zoomaka, the idea is to collect park sections of a zoo to create a full zoo park. We have added a bunch of action cards, changed the payment rules and added set specific action cards to the mix. section specific action require you to have a complete park section before you can use them.

If you are interested write me here Ill send you a link when its done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mantil
msg tools
I created some monopoly deal cards based on the hong kong edition. They are almost exact replicas of the actual cards, so I'm not sure if I can share them for fear of getting myself or anyone else in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested I pretty much recreated the whole game with some added improvements. I can easily add any cards.

http://imgur.com/ukgsO5w

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Eudell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Jason, I was searching for help to make some custom cards and I see that you started this thread a long time ago.

I'd be really interested in a custom set, including some of the extra cards I came up with.

My only real concern about all the extra action cards I came up with is that I'm not sure how to balance the game given that the property cards will be less of a percentage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kibbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up making a custom set, myself, even though I didn't really know what I was doing.

First, I made a spreadsheet of possible ideas for cards and how many I wanted of each, with a target of 54 cards in mind since that's how many are in a printed deck.

Here's the most recent version:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11sUjcgHpzPhfJhFf6bEk...

Next, I scanned in some of the existing cards so I could edit them. I also scanned the card back since it is needed, too.

I used Gimp, a free Photoshop alternative, to edit/create the cards. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it -- it's just time consuming! Just turn 'layers' on and off as needed. http://www.gimp.org/

I exported each individual card as it's own jpg file. After I created my first version, my family had some more ideas, so we created a version 2.

I included my version 1 and version 2 cards, as well as the xcf (I think it's called) file that you can use to make your own version in this zip archive. It's 137 MB, and I'll keep it posted at least through the end of the year.

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2mj8hA_IkqCcFdsdU10SFo4enM...
[/url]
You can upload your cards to Artscow or Printerstudio for printing. Be sure to look for coupons. You should be able to get a deck printed for about $8.

Sometimes we just play with all of the cards, since I added cards from all categories, and sometimes we pick and choose what we add. The possibilities are nearly endless!

Good luck & have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Fuller
United States
flag msg tools
I made up my own custom expansion and printerstudio.com denied my order due to copyright issues. Has anyone had success printing a set of monopoly deal expansion cards?

If so, what website did you use and how did you go about it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Eudell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Did this project get off the ground.

I wanted the exact same thing and am very keen to get a set that I have designed made up.

If anyone was interested in collaborating, that'd be great.

I'd like to see the deck ideas you guys have too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkibbe wrote:
I ended up making a custom set, myself, even though I didn't really know what I was doing.
Good luck & have fun!

Reviving an old thread, but I went through PrinterStudio, and my workaround to get it printed was to NOT have a back. I had been wanting to sleeve Monopoly deal, so I got sleeves with solid color backs and I'll be tossing both the original AND the expansion together. I will report back when I have some playtest results for anyone curious as to how this expansion is for anyone that decides to read this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hydroxy Yxordyh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Re-reviving an old thread to post that I have added to jkibbe's version of the expansion and have now a version that has about 54 cards (I have omitted the names of the 6 grey properties, these are kind of an in joke with my friends, they are the names of our favourite bars, so for I've just left those blank)

Here is a link to an Imgur album of the cards

Imgur Album

I think this is a good effort of the community so far to make a fan expansion for the game and I was glad to be a part of it. It'll hopefully make a good game even better for the players. Maybe some day it'll get to 106 cards to match the base game's card numbers.

I think that there is likely a deal of imbalance in this expansion somewhat, mostly because I haven't tested it once. I do have a version incoming from PrinterStudio.com so will hopefully see how it plays in the coming weeks, as long as they print it, it being a copyrighted product and all.

A few notes about my expansion effort:
-players can peek at other players hands and get some valuable information through a few cards, I think this will make the game more interesting as information is a commodity in its own right and choosing whether to keep the information private or public could greatly change the game.
-players can move cards around a bit more than previously with options to withdraw cards from your bank through Offshore Account, get rid of other players hand cards and so on... This will hopefully lead to a bit more strategy where players can try to keep especially valuable cards out of reach of other players e.g. keep a rent card in your bank out of reach. It will also fix a bug in the game that a friend discovered, where you can continually bank every card throughout the game and pretty much leave the board in a stalemate.
-added a credit card card, pretty much the same as the paid in full card from the earlier versions
-added Dice Plaza, a single card set. Interesting mechanics, kind of like the double dice rolls from the original Monopoly board game
-The six grey properties, the upgraded railways and the upgraded utilities are hopefully going to be interesting additions to the game, I feel they will make the game a bit more interesting somewhat.
-I actually really liked the Pink property sets in previous versions, however I just couldn't work them into a 54 card set, pretty much you need an even number of property colours due to the bi-coloured rent card system.

Hopefully Hasbro doesnt sue me or anything. Though on another note, I can't believe how long I took adding to this expansion, the longest board game related thing I've ever done. Took me the most of a day to do the entire thing, i.e. adding on to the existing cards and coming up with new ones then actually making them in Paint.net I definitely qualify as a board game geek now.

Overall though, a fun project. Hopefully this project will continue to grow. There's some good rules out there yet that we could use to better the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melisa Lovely
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
How do I order a deck from you????
Hello I would be interested in purchasing a deck from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hydroxy Yxordyh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am in the process of making some more cards variations after playing some with my friends. Should be done soon hopefully and will make a nice well rounded 54 card expansion. Once I'm done I think I'll upload them for anyone to download and print via printerstudio.com

Watch this space. Hopefully will be done by 17th June.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hydroxy Yxordyh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Got them sorted.

Still deciding how to distribute the expansion. Any ideas?

Here is a quick rule list. With some image samples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Selvaggio
msg tools
designer
I would suggest instead of:
Go To Jail - Force any one player to skip their next turn.

You do

Go To Jail - Force any one player to draw one less card and play up to two (not three) on their next turn.

losing a turn may be traditional but it is rather harsh in such a pleasant game.

My suggestion is a "Free Parking" card worth $3. Used in a 3-5 player game. Play it when a rent card is played on you:

In a 3-5 player game/ The player of the rent card "must" pick another player to pay the rent.

In a two player game it is only good for money ($3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.