Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! I'm WAY late to the DS party. shake Wasn't sure it would get loads of play with my group when it was first released, so I waited. I'm about to end the waiting!

Are there links or somesuch to show a comparison between the 2nd and 3rd edition art? Wasn't sure whether I should pre-order 3rd or wait for a 2nd ed. to show up. From what I'm reading, the decision is pretty much cosmetic as only the art will change. I'd like to see them both (side by side would be great!) to make an informed decision!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowyer
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are several examples in the Dominant Species gallery.

Here's one: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1170277/dominant-species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, James!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, like you I'm late to the dance as well. I went ahead and put in on the P500 list to get the new one. Now starts the anticipation before it actually ships.

jw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there are two distinct schools of thought re. the art, but I'm really liking the 3rd ed. so far! Think I may pre-order as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
I'm sure there are two distinct schools of thought re. the art, but I'm really liking the 3rd ed. so far! Think I may pre-order as well.

I make it three schools:

a) Those that think the original art is so bad the game is not worth getting
b) Those that think the new art makes the game much harder to play than the original art
c) Those far too busy having a great time playing the game to notice the art.

I'm a c).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT took the initiative to change the art despite an abundance of comments that viewed such a thing as a regression in the game's look. Nevertheless it appears that many players have made the adaptation to the style of art that is clearly going to achieve dominance over the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Cobbs
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
GMT took the initiative to change the art despite an abundance of comments that viewed such a thing as a regression in the game's look. Nevertheless it appears that many players have made the adaptation to the style of art that is clearly going to achieve dominance over the competition.

The survival of that particular species of wit is a sign of great intelligence. What should be a fertile habitat for humor is often a wasteland of witlessness.

(Sorry, I have no comment on the OP, just wanted to participate in the punning.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sydrian Me
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
yosemite wrote:

I make it three schools:

a) Those that think the original art is so bad the game is not worth getting
b) Those that think the new art makes the game much harder to play than the original art
c) Those far too busy having a great time playing the game to notice the art.

I'm a c).

What about d) Those who knew the "dry" art design would turn friends off on the game, but who think the more colorful design will have a stronger appeal.

I won't lie, I most likely would not have ordered this game with the original artwork. It would of screamed "boring" to the group I game with. Personally how fun the game plays is what's important to me, but my friends would have seen the artwork and tossed the game to the side without giving it a fair shake. The new artwork is more eye catching, and will, I believe, draw my friends in more convincingly.

Lets be honest, a game that is visually dull is going to immediately be perceived as boring for certain people. And no matter how amazing the game may be, visually oriented people will not enjoy the game if it looks dull. There is nothing anyone can do about that, it's just the way some people work. As for the fear that the new design will make the game visually cluttered, and more difficult to play? I'll have to give the artists the benefit of the doubt here and believe they had the foresight, and talent to design with playability in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klim Chugunkin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Finally might consider buying the game now that it is coming out with half-decent artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're waiting until the sixth printing to debut full-decent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
If the 3rd printing is half decent, does that mean it is half indecent? Any chance of a fully indecent version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Naked animeeples? You sicko!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharikov wrote:
Finally might consider buying the game now that it is coming out with half-decent artwork.

Yawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Naked animeeples? You sicko!

Only topless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
The new tiles is better. It's somewhat hard to see where tundra is on the new tiles and the more saturated colors increase the difference of the tiles.

I thought it would be hard to see get the difference of sea and wetlands and jungle, savannah and forest while playing the original game but really you're more or less only going to be scoring sea, wetlands and jungle anyway and it's very obvious what is what when you play.

Later into the game the board become pretty crowded though and the new edition likely make that less of an issue. It would also look awesome with small "figures" maybe of some of those colored clays or what not but they would had to be so small it would likely be hard to make them =P

Photorealism and cubes doesn't blend all that well but the better contrast is better.

I kinda wonder whatever it's worth paiting the original tiles with acrylic paint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Meadows
United States
Independence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased a 2nd edition of the game and then found out about the 3rd printing. I am considering buying the card upgrade as the art on them seems to be improved, but how does it look on the old board? If someone coul post a pic I'd appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.