Subject: How is Germany supposed to work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Peterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Germany can spend two workers to retrieve a spent worker and then use that worker immediately. What are the rules surrounding this?

Can I use that retrieved worker on the board?

Can I use that retrieved worker on the same factory he was retrieved from? This would enable Germany to use a building twice in the same turn.

Thanks for clarifying this rule for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanpeterson wrote:
Germany can spend two workers to retrieve a spent worker and then use that worker immediately. What are the rules surrounding this?

No, as the Nations card acts like a building and gets activated in step 2. Since step 1 is placing on the board, that opportunity has already passed.

Quote:
Can I use that retrieved worker on the same factory he was retrieved from? This would enable Germany to use a building twice in the same turn.

Yes, which I would imagine is its primary purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanpeterson wrote:

No, because when you are activating your Nation Card, you are in Step 2 of your turn. You may only place a worker on the Main Board in Step 1 of your turn.

ryanpeterson wrote:

Yes, you may even use the worker on the same building it came from, activating it twice. Note that this only works for 1-worker buildings, since if you retrieved the worker from a 2 or 3-worker building, there would still be a worker on the building - and there is a general rule preventing you from placing a worker on a building that already has a worker on it.

Germany's ability makes single-engineer and single-scientist buildings very powerful (for Germany).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Peterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Boyer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon, can you pull a scientist or engineer from one of your buildings that is on a 2-3 worker builder? I see that there is a general rule preventing you from placing a worker on a building that already has a worker on it, but what if your intent was to not place the scientist/ engineer back on the semi-occupied building but somewhere else in your base? We had this come up last night and got in a heated debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can pull an engineer or a scientist from any building anywhere it is placed. And use it immediately. Provided, of course, the building you are placing it on does not already have a worker on it. Which of course it would, if you pulled the worker from a building that requires more than one worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Boyer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, last Germany clarifying question...lol. You said that you can pull an engineer or scientist from any building. Does that include main board. I know that I couldn't place back on the main board, but could use elsewhere. We're playing again tonight and I would prefer to save a half hour of arguing if I could. Thanks for you quick responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies... you can retrieve the worker from anywhere, whether it's a building, the main board, a bomb or a test counter. (I edited my post.)

Here is the wording on the card:

Retrieve one of your placed permanent Scientists or Engineers. This worker may be used immediately.

The rules on these cards are intended to be self-contained. There isn't even any accompanying text printed in the rules for each card. The card doesn't specify where you can retrieve the worker from, so logically you can retrieve it from anywhere it is placed. It also says you can use it immediately. So, you have it now, it's in your supply just like all your other remaining workers. Just use it as you normally would. Of course you can't place it on the Main Board - that goes without saying since you are still in Step 2 of your turn. I mention this because it's a good way to interpret the intent of each card. If questions come up that you can't immediately answer... go with an exact literal interpretation if possible. If there is no restriction printed on the card, then there is no restriction. If there is no exception printed on the card regarding the core rules, then make sure you are adhering to the core rules when you use your nation's action.

Incidentally, the rules for the 7 new nations in the upcoming The Manhattan Project: Second Stage will not be as self-contained as these. That expansion will have several clarifications and restrictions printed in its rule book for several of the 7 new nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dow Boyer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're awesome. Thanks. Best game of 2012 and it's not close!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.