Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had emailed the designer and told him about my first time plkaying it, and decided to share the thoughts with everyone. Admittedly, this isn't a session report as much as some random thoughts about our first game.

Got a chance to play it for the first time Saturday night. I'm a boardgame and an 'Elite' fan, and so is my friend, so we're definately the target audience for the game (^^).

Had fun, it was nice that it was balanced so that my warlike-ship and another player's mining ship were able to use completely different strategies and still end up within 1 recognition of winning (though we both lost to a leviathan).

Only thing we wish was a better way to force players to not do the same delivery over and over. A planet selling slaves for 10 shared a hex with a planet buying them for 80. Yeah, one of the two of us doing that run *could* destroy the other to stop them, but we didn't want to eliminate each other so early in the game (and once were were both rich, we moved off to try to win). I'm also a bit concerned if the best strategy for someone with a very warlike ship isn't to try to destroy all the players with non-military ships immediately, which wouldn't really be very fun for those that didn't get to use an escape pod (getting knocked out in turn 2 or 3)

Other than that, it was a lot of fun. The carnivorious insectoids had it in for me though, they trashed my ship pretty badly (made me use an escape pod immediately, and then I think a docking event threw them at me again and I lived with only 1 structure

I like the variety from all the different decks (and we were playing with the Mostly Harmless expansion, so there was a bit more variety than just in the base game). Having events that have different effects depending on if the planet was good (alliance), corrupt (renegade), or neutral was a neat idea. Having the option of going for fame or notoriety was interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
Only thing we wish was a better way to force players to not do the same delivery over and over. A planet selling slaves for 10 shared a hex with a planet buying them for 80. Yeah, one of the two of us doing that run *could* destroy the other to stop them, but we didn't want to eliminate each other so early in the game (and once were were both rich, we moved off to try to win).
The last time I played we ran across a similar situation with those two systems in adjacent hexes. I was flying the Cargo Cube and attempted the run several times, but every single time I tried it I got hit with a docking card that resulted in my illegal cargo getting confiscated (usually with an extra fine on top) or I got a card that prevented me from docking at all. Eventually I just gave up on that and went after safer but less lucrative cargo.

It may have been a string of really bad luck on my part, but having to draw an extra docking card any time you dock with illegal cargo on board really increases the chance of running into something bad even if you're at a "friendly" location. It's possible you missed that rule - I did the first time we played too, and it made a huge difference.

Otherwise, the only surefire way to stop someone else from making runs like that is to either attack them or extort them, but with only two players that could be difficult because there's only one other player to worry about. If there were two or three others flying around any one of them (or several at once!) could pose a threat to that player and could keep them from running up the score more quickly than they'd like.

If that pairing becomes a problem again, one thing you could do during setup (or when the system is first revealed) is to simply exchange one of the two half hexes with another. Maybe grab a few unrevealed half hexes, shuffle them up, and draw a replacement - that way no one knows for sure where exactly the other half of that pairing went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:

Only thing we wish was a better way to force players to not do the same delivery over and over. A planet selling slaves for 10 shared a hex with a planet buying them for 80. Yeah, one of the two of us doing that run *could* destroy the other to stop them, but we didn't want to eliminate each other so early in the game (and once were were both rich, we moved off to try to win).

Also, make sure to remember that illegal substances mean increased risks by forcing you to draw an extra docking card. Also, as the whole narcotics/slaves supply is 10 tokens and you are only allowed to buy HALF (rounded down) of it, it is rather common for Annihilator to fly with full cargo of Narcotics AT ALL TIMES just to limit the traders possibilities to buy Narcotics.

Quote:
I'm also a bit concerned if the best strategy for someone with a very warlike ship isn't to try to destroy all the players with non-military ships immediately, which wouldn't really be very fun for those that didn't get to use an escape pod (getting knocked out in turn 2 or 3)

Yep. This is problem, which is soon somewhat corrected.
I am just about to release the 'Pilot Academy' Rulebook which does introduce two rule corrections/rule changes, which apply even if you don't have the upcoming 'Pilot Academy' rulebook. Those concern
Blockading and Escaping from battle.

Both are introduced to better allow aggressive strategy to work and also, still traders to be able to escape (at least once). Escape has to be a real option, even if its costly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. We did remember about drawing an extra card for having illegal goods, but I missed the "only buy half of the remaining stock" rule.

Looking forward to the upcoming expansion, and thanks for the preview on the updated rules you posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Also, make sure to remember that illegal substances mean increased risks by forcing you to draw an extra docking card....

I have not seen this rule. Where is it listed??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
Eridis wrote:
Also, make sure to remember that illegal substances mean increased risks by forcing you to draw an extra docking card....

I have not seen this rule. Where is it listed??

I believe that it is in all rulebooks since Essen 2010, which means
all rulebooks since Phantom League was launched.

And it certainly makes sense, both story-wise and rules-wise: If you would not have any extra difficulties doing illegal business, why should you not do that all the time

In any case: On rulebook 3.5.2 on page 10, it says:
If you have illegal cargo (slaves or narcotics ),draw an additional docking card.

Which certainly could be BOLD or somehow noted more clearly, but its there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.