Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gibbs
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a big update to Tropic Euro (my online version of Puerto Rico, www.tropiceuro.com), which will include various new features such as global rankings (with separate 3P-5P / 2P / 2v2 rankings), forums and probably some sort of achievements system.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the trophy/achievements-style systems of Xbox (Gamerscore) and PS3 (Trophies). Would adding this feature to Tropic Euro make the game more rewarding and/or compelling to play?

For example, a bronze trophy could be awarded after winning your first game, and a gold trophy after beating CPU Hard on all 2P/3P/4P/5P game sizes. Would this make you want to try and get the trophy, or would it be regarded as pretty pointless in your opinion?

Instead of just doing something very similar to the Xbox/PS3 systems, I'm also considering doing a "challenges" system instead. Each would be a unique single-game challenge, with the motivation being to introduce the user to new strategies and help improve his/her overall game.

For example:

Challenge #1
Expert Builder
Build three [or possibly 4?] large buildings during a game.

Challenge #2
Union Hoarder
Manage to hold the entire supply of a single good (using a warehouse) at some point during the game, with a Union Hall operational at that time.

Challenge #3
Boat Blocker
Block off a ship with a monopolised good 5 times or more during a single 2 player game.

Any other suggestions for unique challenges?

I'm more drawn to this sort of system as it does have an actual point, as opposed to a fairly meaningless digital trophy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gibbs
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more possible ideas for challenges:

Master Builder
Win a game with fewer than [e.g.] 5 VP from shipments.

Master Trader
Be the only person to trade a good 5 or more times in a single game.

Cash Ahoy!
With an operational lighthouse, choose Shipper and load at least 1 good onto each of the 3 ships [and wharf?] during a single role phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gibbs
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any feedback on this?

Unless there is decent demand for an achievements system, I think I may delay this feature until later in the year as there are other high priority features that need doing, which include a guided play-through / tutorial to make the game easier to learn for new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Fischer
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely achievements would be a neat addition and you've got some good ideas already, but I guess many board gamers don't care that much. Video gamers would maybe... but the ones also interested in board games might focus more on mechanics and solid gameplay than the "shiny" stuff like achievements.

Aside from that: I'm really looking forward to new features and coming updates. Absolutely loving Tropic Euro!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gibbs
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nachtfischer wrote:
Surely achievements would be a neat addition and you've got some good ideas already, but I guess many board gamers don't care that much. Video gamers would maybe... but the ones also interested in board games might focus more on mechanics and solid gameplay than the "shiny" stuff like achievements.

Aside from that: I'm really looking forward to new features and coming updates. Absolutely loving Tropic Euro!

Yeah good point - I guess with Tropic Euro I'm trying to bridge the gap between board games and video games.

I expect the achievement system will be added to TE at some point, although it's not a particularly high-priority feature for now - you can view the latest roadmap at http://www.tropiceuro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.