what I have and love:
- agricola
- puerto rico
- steam
- stone age
- navegador
- ticket to ride europe

what I had and sold because I liked it less:
- troyes (sold after 2 plays, too maths during the choise of actions)
- castle of burgundy ( components ugly, boring setup each end of the round, however, pretty)
- chaos in the old world (nice idea, but does not play well in 2 players)
- pandemic (This made ​​me realize that I hate the cooperative!)
- age od empires 3 (perhaps the most beautiful ones I sold, it reminds me puerto rico and do not like the mechanics of the battles, maybe I buy it again .. but I am not convinced in 2 players)
- small world (good components, but very boring game)
- railways of the world (my favorite game until I tried steam)
- galaxy trucker (nice the first few times, get bored after)
- ticket to ride USA (is a game to have, I preferred to keep the europe version, with the expansion 1912)
- settlers of catan (after trying other games heavier, you will never go to play settlers)
- alien frontiers (cute, but I was not impressed that much)
- in the year of the dragon (after some games becomes repetitive, and you do not want to play again)
- cyclades (I liked the theme right away, but in 2 player does not play well, and then hate auctions)
- egizia (mechanical properties very similar to other beautiful games, cards are not balanced, there is better)
- pillars of the earth (all mechanical views and there are better games of this)
- carson city (sold after only one game, one of the ugliest games ever played)
- roborally (boring, too boring)
- kingsburg (usual mechanical placement, but this is liked much less than other similar games. useless)
- thebes (too simple, is a game for kids)
- fury of dracula (after this I realized that I hate games with player hidden)
- last night on earth (the only ameritrash that I liked and I played for a while, then becomes repetitive)
- betrayal at house on the hill (The best part is building the house, then it is no more exciting)
- manila (cute, but there are auctions ..)
- winner's circle (I think this is the worst game I've had)
- pirate's cove (nice for kids, and does not play well in 2)
- the mystery of the abbey (the questions are always the same, all they hear the answers. does not run well in 2. wasted opportunity)
- tikal 2: the lost temple (cute, but could be much better, after a few rounds bored)
- horse fever (I like the theme, but this game is confusing, and there are auctions)
- mystery express (not bad, I do not like the mechanics of time, and does not play in 2)

As you can see I'm not a collector, even sell almost all the games that we do not like, I prefer having a few, but all play.

What interests me is that they play well from 2 and up (even with variants) and that do not last more than two hours, not too complex and without auctions.

I hope that someone with tastes similar to mine, can advise me to buy some new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan keane
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I have 4 of the games you kept and dislike a number of the games you got rid of. I particularly disliked Pandemic.

Why not try Discworld Ankh Morepork? It is the favorite game of my wife and I at the moment? You don't have to know Terry Pratchet's books, but it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Glen More (Great with two players; has a nifty mix of mechanics, leading to both strategic and tactical play being necessary.)
Lancaster (By the same designer as Glen More, though a vastly different game. Hesitant recommendation, as I haven't had a chance to play it 2-player yet; but 4-5 player is great.)
Fresco (I kinda think you'll judge this as too light, but it positively surprised me, so do look into it. Love the 2-player game, as control over the "neutral" player Leonardo switches between the players, leading to extra opportunities and depth in the game.)

(Navegador, Agricola and Puerto Rico are amongst my absolute favorites, while I like Stone Age quite a bit.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Try:
Le Havre - I find it better than Agricola - more open - with less things you have to do just to not get points substracted
Race for the Galaxy - All fun of Puerto Rico fit in small box with great theme.
Airlines Europe - Two steps up from Ticket to Ride - still simple and fun, yet more brainburning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
bkeane2 wrote:
I have 4 of the games you kept and dislike a number of the games you got rid of. I particularly disliked Pandemic.

Why not try Discworld Ankh Morepork? It is the favorite game of my wife and I at the moment? You don't have to know Terry Pratchet's books, but it helps.

might like, but I'm worried about the language dependence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
a_traveler wrote:
Glen More (Great with two players; has a nifty mix of mechanics, leading to both strategic and tactical play being necessary.)
Lancaster (By the same designer as Glen More, though a vastly different game. Hesitant recommendation, as I haven't had a chance to play it 2-player yet; but 4-5 player is great.)
Fresco (I kinda think you'll judge this as too light, but it positively surprised me, so do look into it. Love the 2-player game, as control over the "neutral" player Leonardo switches between the players, leading to extra opportunities and depth in the game.)

(Navegador, Agricola and Puerto Rico are amongst my absolute favorites, while I like Stone Age quite a bit.)

I like the variants for 2 players where decreasing: resources (puerto rico), or the map (steam)
but I do not like the dummy player, then I exclude lascaster and fresco
about glen more, I'll read the rules, even if the ranking is not very high
EDIT: with 2-3 players need the dummy player..I don't like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
godunow wrote:
Try:
Le Havre - I find it better than Agricola - more open - with less things you have to do just to not get points substracted
Race for the Galaxy - All fun of Puerto Rico fit in small box with great theme.
Airlines Europe - Two steps up from Ticket to Ride - still simple and fun, yet more brainburning

I do not like games without a board, then exclude Race for the Galaxy

I like ticket to ride because it is a light game that appeals to everyone, I don't need a similar game, if I want a lot more complex game, I play steam!

Instead I really like le havre, I don't undestand how to play by reading the rules and seems more complex than agricola, but the thing that worries me most is the duration of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since that you love playing Agricola, have a look at Le Havre and Ora et Labora.

You can easily finish the game in under 2 hours with 2 players. Both games are not complex at all!!!! The rundown of your turn is super simple (seriously), but the hardest part is the decision making. They're just like Agricola, you know 1 step action and then you're done. I think you can handle both games since that you're familiar with Agricola.

- Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Since that you love playing Agricola, have a look at Le Havre and Ora et Labora.

You can easily finish the game in under 2 hours with 2 players. Both games are not complex at all!!!! The rundown of your turn is super simple (seriously), but the hardest part is the decision making. They're just like Agricola, you know 1 step action and then you're done. I think you can handle both games since that you're familiar with Agricola.

- Damien

ora et labora seems much more complex than Le Havre that is already very complex! and then does not exist in Italian for now

Le Havre I could buy it in Italian, I like the game but did not understand the rules, and I worry about the length of matches

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Take a look at Troyes, assuming you are still interested in dice allocation (might succeed where Alien Frontiers and Kingsburg failed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica
Endeavor (needs at least 3 players, though)
Vasco da Gama

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm what about Alhambra? It is different from the ones you kept, and doesn't have any of the negatives you mention except it might be a little simple. Wait - does 2-player use a dummy? I forget.

I'll bet you'd love Thurn and Taxis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Deroche wrote:

Take a look at Troyes, assuming you are still interested in dice allocation (might succeed where Alien Frontiers and Kingsburg failed).

already owned, I have refresh my post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
pacman88k wrote:
Hansa Teutonica
Endeavor (needs at least 3 players, though)
Vasco da Gama

Endeavor and hansa teutonica needs at least 3 players

Vasco da gama could likes me..is it similar to other my worker placement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
+! for Ora et Labora. I know its not in italian yet, but it is not that language dependent once you understand the iconography. It looks confusing but is actually quite simple to learn, the complexity comes in the decisions you have to make and the long game strategy. It is definitely a brain burner, and it is different enough from Puerto Rico and Agricola that they don't replace each other. It actually simplifies and fixes some of the biggest complaints in Le Havre (which is why its flying up the rankings and is currently number 19 on the overall geeklist, which is impressive given it has under 2000 rankings). My wife and I love this one, just note that it is a mega brain burner.

Dominion - I did not see any deck builders on your list. Dominion is the grandaddy and still the most popular, and for good reason, it is easy to learn and lots of fun with near endless replayability. This will also be a good gauge to see if you would like any of the other games in the genre, plus there are expansions that add or tweak nearly every element of the game. Not very language dependent, just need to learn iconography.

7 Wonders - typically not played 2 player very much, but my wife and I actually prefer it that way because 2 player is actually more interactive than 3+ because each turn someone is controlling the City board with the sole purpose of finding and playing the card that will hurt their opponent the most. Also plays very fast and has a unique mechanic that I don't see you having anything similar to in your list. Also, not very language dependent once you learn iconography.

Summoner Wars - fantasy asymmetric chess, if you can get your wife past the theme you should have lots of fun with this one. Probably the most language dependent of the games mentioned, but also has the easiest rules.

Lords of Waterdeep - if you like Stone Age, you may like this. It is a more interactive version of Stone Age that is easier to score and has added replayability because the quests and buildings are different each time. The buildings actually operate like the roles in Puerto Rico, where the person who owns them gets an added bonus for their use much like the bonus someone gets for selecting builder, mayor, etc... The one things you might not like is that everyone has a hidden role, but those roles actually act like routes in Ticket to Ride. This would be a direct replacement for Stone Age, so try before you buy.

+1 Discworld - but that is because i heart this game very much and wanted to give it props. The vast majority of the cards are guided by their iconography listed on top, the problem you will have is in the cards that require reading text, understanding what the buildings do, and the special event cards. If you don't mind having to explain to people what the writing says then you will have fun, otherwise it really isn't what you want. That said, I still encourage you to read at least one of the books, I'd start with Guards! Guards! (first book in the guard series, each book is a crime mystery) or Mort (first book in the series told from the perspective of Death), if you think the book is fun and want to read more then this game is a must buy. The other thing you might not like is that everyone has a hidden role that determines their win condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I want to thank everyone for the advice you are giving me, I read a bit of rules and seen some videos, and for now, the best are: ora et labora, and Le Havre.
which of the two differs more from agricola as a mechanical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan keane
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
in that case Borys' suggestion of Race for the Galaxy is good. No language dependence - lots of clear icons. Very good with two people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
bkeane2 wrote:
in that case Borys' suggestion of Race for the Galaxy is good. No language dependence - lots of clear icons. Very good with two people.

I don't like card games, I want board and components!!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you could play Hansa with 2... hmmm.

Vasco da Gama is interesting because there is a timing element that makes the strategy very important. Also, certain actions will ALWAYS cost money, but you never know which ones until after you already place workers and resolve the actions. Very tricky, indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.