Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Meertens
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious about how other people decided what games were part of their collection. I have seen other collections saying that a number of games that are a product of a gamesystem (Icehouse, piecepack, Decktet, etc.) were part of their collection as well. How do you "own" games? Do you just own the gamesystem or do you add all the playable games as well?

I myself prefer to just add the gamesystem, otherwise I would have had hundreds of games more. I think this would be the case for everyone: who doesn't own a deck of cards(with which you can play hundreds of games)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I add all of the playable games. That way my collection summaries refer to what I can play. I plan on making some collection lists soon to post in my game room. Games for 2, filler games, games for 3, etc. Even though some of the games are part of a game system, I still want them to show on the list.

EDIT: It would be great if there were a game system filter in the collection view, so the list could be toggled on or off. I pull my collection information in to Excel, and add extra information to accomplish this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bixby wrote:
EDIT: It would be great if there were a game system filter in the collection view, so the list could be toggled on or off. I pull my collection information in to Excel, and add extra information to accomplish this.

Advanced search
search games owned, specify user: Bixby
filter on Board Game Category {-} Game System

Not exactly what you wanted, but functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Bixby wrote:

Advanced search
search games owned, specify user: Bixby
filter on Board Game Category {-} Game System

Not exactly what you wanted, but functional.

Just tried that. The search removes IceHouse, but not all of the IceHouse games.

Appreciate the tip though. Close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I add games which I would at least theoretically play and at least know the rules of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I list all 10 copies of Space 'n' Time you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands. How could I ever pass an opportunity to broadcast my love for the best game system ever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake ummmm... why, NO, naught at A-L-L at that! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bixby wrote:
Just tried that. The search removes IceHouse, but not all of the IceHouse games.

Appreciate the tip though. Close.

Ah, didn't initially catch what you meant in your request. You want to be able to filter out all of the games that apply to a particular system. As best as I know, this isn't possible now, but it might be something that will come with the re-design, depending on how Families are integrated into the search and other systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
littlebrothertimmy wrote:
who doesn't own a deck of cards(with which you can play hundreds of games)?

I've been toying with what I think of as Playable [= Owned AND Prev. Owned] and Sellable [= Owned NOT Prev. Owned].

I don't record anything close to every possible playable game, but I've marked a few playing card games I want to keep in rotation, so I "own" Ninety-Nine, but I don't bother with Traditional Card Games nor Slap Jack.

The same scheme allows me to filter P&P/PDF from retail/cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mm C
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Give me a man ripe for a breakdown, and I'll end the world for you.
badge
Our roads may be golden or broken or lost, but we'll walk on them willingly knowing the cost: we won't take our place on the shelves; it's better to fly and it's better to die, say the wicked girls saving ourselves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to add both the game system and the games that can be played. Then, in the private info, I add a comment on base games, so they can be located that way instead. (I have a lot of game expansions, this also helps to filter that noise.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.