Popular Tags: [View All]
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the timing structure for a game turn in the back of the rule book, and while I think I understand it my question is:

Does anyone have a few examples of times when people you've played with have tried to play an action of some sort, but you've had to disallow it according to the rules?
I'm having trouble thinking up specific examples and I feel that knowing some scenarios that aren't allowed would help me to understand the restrictions better (and thereby teach it better as well).

Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure - there's a Treachery card that deals damage to a bunch of heroes, and you have a healing action. If the treachery card is revealed, and the damage would kill a few characters, you CANNOT use your healing action between seeing the card and resolving it to save people. You also can't use it between dealing the lethal damage and the character being discarded.

That's probably the biggest example. I'm sure others could come up with some too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Sure - there's a Treachery card that deals damage to a bunch of heroes, and you have a healing action. If the treachery card is revealed, and the damage would kill a few characters, you CANNOT use your healing action between seeing the card and resolving it to save people. You also can't use it between dealing the lethal damage and the character being discarded.

That's probably the biggest example. I'm sure others could come up with some too.

This is exactly what I'm looking for!
So just to make sure I have the general rule for this one correct, you cannot interrupt and use an action when revealing event cards during the questing stage. I wasn't quite sure why you'd want to, but this is a great example!

Thank you! (and please, keep a few more examples coming if there are any good ones)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to Andy's example, if you're playing a multiplayer game, you cannot interrupt the revealing of the encounter cards to take actions. If the first card off the encounter deck is a Treachery card that wounded all characters, you could not take an action to heal wounds before the next encounter card is revealed. Or, if the card has Doomed and raises your threat to 49, you could not take an action to lower your threat before the next encounter card is revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Similar to Andy's example, if you're playing a multiplayer game, you cannot interrupt the revealing of the encounter cards to take actions. If the first card off the encounter deck is a Treachery card that wounded all characters, you could not take an action to heal wounds before the next encounter card is revealed. Or, if the card has Doomed and raises your threat to 49, you could not take an action to lower your threat before the next encounter card is revealed.

I thought there were a few actions and exhausting of characters that you could do to stop the effects from an Encounter card being revealed? Please tell me I have not been playing this wrong the whole time? Wouldn't those cards stop the effects of the Encounter card the INSTANT it is revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
I thought there were a few actions and exhausting of characters that you could do to stop the effects from an Encounter card being revealed? Please tell me I have not been playing this wrong the whole time? Wouldn't those cards stop the effects of the Encounter card the INSTANT it is revealed?

There is but they have the bold word 'Response'. Responses can sometimes interrupt the encounter cards like you said. But cards with just the bold word 'Action' cannot interrupt the staging step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a two player game, you have Eleanor ready with a ready unexpected courage on her.

You deal a treachery, and use Eleanor's response ability to cancel the when revealed effect.

You cannot use unexpected courage's action to ready Eleanor. So you cannot therefore use her ability to cancel a second treachery during this staging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
In a two player game, you have Eleanor ready with a ready unexpected courage on her.

You deal a treachery, and use Eleanor's response ability to cancel the when revealed effect.

You cannot use unexpected courage's action to ready Eleanor. So you cannot therefore use her ability to cancel a second treachery during this staging.

Another good example!

So far, all the examples have been of players not being able to use actions during the Events cards coming out during the Staging Phase. Are there any other "hot spots" of potential mis-use??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
ajax013 wrote:
So far, all the examples have been of players not being able to use actions during the Events cards coming out during the Staging Phase. Are there any other "hot spots" of potential mis-use??
The other hot spot is during combat, especially when nasty shadow cards appear. Thus, for example, you cannot play a card to heal someone between the shadow card being turned over, and it resolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one. I have a defender with unexpected courage. The shadow card says I must exhaust a character, which will be another hero with enough attack power to finish of the enemy. In this case, I can't ready my defending hero with unexpected courage to deal with the shadow effect. I must exhaust the other hero who would have destroyed the enemy, but now all I can do is ready and attack with the 1st hero, who will probably not destroy the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siȏn Evans
Wales
flag msg tools
I am new to the game so I may be wrong about this, but here's something that comes up in my solo games.

I spend my last two resource tokens on Steward of Gondor. My understanding is that I can't exhaust it to gain two extra resource tokens and immediately spend those resources? I would have to wait for the next turn to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are incorrect. There is nothing stopping you from using the ability of a card immediately after it enters play. (There's no "summoning sickness" in this game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siȏn Evans
Wales
flag msg tools
I've just re-read my post, and apologies that it may not have been clear.

The question wasn't really whether I could use the card after playing, which is of course possible. It was whether I can spend the resources gained immediately after, since to exhaust the card it would mean the end of the planning phase? So, after playing Steward of Gondor I cannot continue to spend resources and must move on to the Questing phase. Does that make more sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronw wrote:
I've just re-read my post, and apologies that it may not have been clear.

The question wasn't really whether I could use the card after playing, which is of course possible. It was whether I can spend the resources gained immediately after, since to exhaust the card it would mean the end of the planning phase? So, after playing Steward of Gondor I cannot continue to spend resources and must move on to the Questing phase. Does that make more sense?

Er, no, it makes no more sense. Why do you think that exhausting the SoG means the end of the phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does make sense, yes, but there is still a misconception lurking in your reasoning.

There is nothing that says that you must wait until the end of the Planning Phase to take Actions. You can take actions throughout the phase, so you could play Steward, then use its action to generate the resources, then play an ally with those resources, for example.

(The timing chart in the rulebook has the Planning phase in green, which means you can take actions at any time during the phase.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siȏn Evans
Wales
flag msg tools
manydills wrote:
(The timing chart in the rulebook has the Planning phase in green, which means you can take actions at any time during the phase.)

So it does. shake When I looked at the chart I never took the colour of the text into account, only that 'First player plays ally and attachment cards' was followed by 'Player actions' so I thought it had to be made in that order. Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
But if you play Radagast as an Ally in the planning phase, you have wait until next turn to get his resource of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.