Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My inner child had a great time stickering hundreds of blocks for Commands & Colors: Ancients and its expansions. Hundreds. It took hours.

Here's a tip: put the sticker on the tip of an exacto knife and position it carefully over the block or disc before pressing down. Using your fingers to position is a recipe for disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. I own Commands & Colors: Ancients (and its expansions), Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, Europe Engulfed, Asia Engulfed, Richard III: The Wars of the Roses, Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, and FAB: Sicily, all games with stickered blocks for playing pieces. I haven't had any issues with peeling stickers, and although placing the stickers can be time-consuming, I've actually begun to enjoy the experience of stickering blocks. That probably says something mildly concerning about me as a person, but there it is.

So, in summary, I don't have any problem with stickers in games, and find myself in fact strangely attracted to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:
I have noticed a disturbing trend amonst recent games(mostly kickstarters). They keep coming with stickers! I am sorry but stickers do not belong in games! Stickers are cheap, they peel, they crack and even if you manage to put them on perfectly(and that's a big if)it kills your ability to sell or trade the game in the future.

I honestly REALLY LOATHE stickers in games! Am I alone on this, or would the rest of you really rather see a developer just chose a permanent design then use stickers?

I'm with you there. I'd rather the pieces came sealed with the image or graphic on them so you don't end up with pealing stickers after several plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over time, they come off. I would rather not have them included. I guess I can exercise choice and freedom by not putting them on!

Wow, what a great time to be alive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the application of stickers can be a headache for some, they can be a very beneficial way of adding necessary information to a Meeple/token/etc. I personally would much rather have a wooden component with a sticker than a cardboard token, assuming it provides a purpose and doesn't look gaudy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To elaborate, I don't mind stickers if they are high quality and coated, and match the color of the blocks. The only problem I have had with peeling is with the Queen game Timbuktu, in which the stickers wrap over the tops of wooden camels. A little glue took care of that. What I don't like are cheap, matte paper stickers with white borders. Those do tear easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Preaching to the choir my brother!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stickered who knows how many block wargames--thousands and thousands of blocks--and none of the several Euros I have with stickers have driven me into a rage. I've never had a problem with them staying down. I've had a few games with maps/boards that need stickers because of errata, and that's been annoying, but having the sticker on there actually helps resale value...

Of course, I have a lot of Xanax in me much of the time so I may not be typical.

(NOTE: Firefox's spellchecker knew "Xanax." 21st century, ho!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think stickers are a bad thing necessarily but making me put them on is just a big pain in the butt. Punching out chits is one thing, that takes no time but as the OP positioning them right is tedious. If I spent a bunch of money on a game and then had to spend hours stickering the crap out of it I'd be rather unhappy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger Yim wrote:
The only problem I have had with peeling is with the Queen game Timbuktu, in which the stickers wrap over the tops of wooden camels.

Another game with this problem is Long Shot. Every game of this I've ever played started with the "try to stick the stickers back down again" phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate'm.

I had a new copy of Silverton that I traded for a used copy just so I wouldn't have to put on the stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger Yim wrote:
My inner child had a great time stickering hundreds of blocks for Commands & Colors: Ancients and its expansions. Hundreds. It took hours.

There is a certain Zen-like quality to it as you get up and running.

Roger Yim wrote:
Here's a tip: put the sticker on the tip of an exacto knife and position it carefully over the block or disc before pressing down. Using your fingers to position is a recipe for disaster.

That is a recipe for stitches in my case. And I disagree. I was able to do this by hand, and I had a technique, but can't remember what it was right now. But, it did end up with very little "adjustments", which I agree, will kill you.

wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I dunno. I own Commands & Colors: Ancients (and its expansions), Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, Europe Engulfed, Asia Engulfed, Richard III: The Wars of the Roses, Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, and FAB: Sicily, all games with stickered blocks for playing pieces. I haven't had any issues with peeling stickers, and although placing the stickers can be time-consuming, I've actually begun to enjoy the experience of stickering blocks. That probably says something mildly concerning about me as a person, but there it is.

So, in summary, I don't have any problem with stickers in games, and find myself in fact strangely attracted to them.

The problem I have with stickers on blocks are potential fading/peeling/wear over time issues, and the relationship between potentially identifiable block flaws, and how to orient the sticker to minimize this, (also the block faces, which to use?).

Drives me crazy. C&C:A thankfully didn't have this as an issue...zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Magus And Princess wrote:
even if you manage to put them on perfectly(and that's a big if)it kills your ability to sell or trade the game in the future.

Not true. I have traded and sold a lot of games that have stickers. It's never been an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had to deal with stickers in two games recently. First was the 5-6 player expansion for Survive: Escape From Atlantis. The meeples in the base game were pre-printed and frankly pretty hard to read. The expansion included tiny numbered stickers that had to be inserted into an inset on the bottom of the new meeples. Not only was this job tedious, but since then we have had to replace several that have fallen off/out. Very aggravating. There were extra stickers included, but at this rate they won't last and I've only had the game 4 months.

The second game is The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus. Another set of numbered stickers that needed to be placed on the underside of the "falling" blocks used in the game. There was no specific spot to put the number on the large underside, which made it very difficult to keep them looking consistent (yes, I am a perfectionist). I was also disappointed to discover that the 6 and the 9 were indistinguishable once they were put on a block and I had to go back and add an underscore to clarify which was which. So far I've had no problem with them coming off.

I would have to say that I would have greatly preferred if both game designers had come up with a better solution than applying annoying little stickers. It would definitely add to the longevity of both of these games and to my satisfaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.