Hide
15 Posts

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dog tag action and close combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Kazmierczak
msg tools
I'm pretty sure I know what the answer to this question is but I'd like to make sure: If I play a soldier's move action card and that soldier is in combat contact (or moves into combat contact using the talk bubble), since Fight is under the Move section of the soldier card can I then use the "dog tag action" to initiate close combat before the end of the phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, by playing the card with the soldier's tag named, that soldier can play the action dictated by the card. Since melee are instigated by the move action, your soldier can initial melee (or combat contact as you put it) with his move card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Close combat occurs at the end of each phase in which two or more units are in contact contact.

If the units are already in combat contact, you will fight at the end of the phase regardless of which type of card was played. In this case, a MOVE card is not required to initiate the combat. However, if a MOVE card is played, the only thing the unit in Combat Contact may do is turn to face his attacker (as it may be that the soldier was attacked from the rear via straight-line movement and wasn't facing his attacker. Also, you are not required to have the named ID of the person doing the movement. If the card has a MOVE bubble on it allowing a certain number of units to move, any units in Combat Contact can be designated to turn in place.

If the unit is not in Combat Contact but wants to rush into close combat, any MOVE card will do as long as the unit can direct line rush to his target and get into Combat Contact. You do not require the named tag on the card to be able to do this.

The "dog tag" should never come into it with regard to the Combat Contact unless you use that soldier's MOVE ability on the card (instead of or in conjunction with the bubble action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Kazmierczak
msg tools
But since Fight is under the move box, shouldn't the soldier whose dog tag is on the move card be able to fight if he can? It works that way with drawing cards and holding cards, so why shouldn't it work with fighting? Also the reason that this is not an academic question is that one of my officers has a Move card that says "5 soldiers move, then 2 soldiers shoot". If he was able to use his free action to initiate close combat and win, he could then move some more and/or shoot somebody in that same phase instead of being locked in combat until the end of the phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing the key part of Walt's post.

Quote:
Close combat occurs at the end of each phase in which two or more units are in contact contact.

It is not about doing it during the Move action. It is at the END of a phase. So your guy can't melee out of sequence and do something else.

He could be one of the 5 soldiers you use the bubble action for, move up real close to your target, shoot instead of melee, and then use his dogtag action to move some more (and avoid the risk of melee). Or shoot and then, if the target survives, move into contact.

I realize that is not letting him attack something twice, which is what you are hoping for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Kazmierczak
msg tools
OK, so move cards don't allow you to take extra Fight actions. If the rules don't say that close combat may occur ONLY at the end of a phase, that should probably be in there. I'd still like a developer response just to clarify things though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules say
Page 8
Sequence Of Play
(6) At the end of each phase,soldiers in combat contact with enemy soldiers fight.

Amos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt's answer is dead on. Playing a MOVE on a unit on combat contact will only let it turn (hopefully to face its attacker!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also on the player aid card under the MOVE section:

Quote:
Fight - When Soldiers come into Combat Contact (see p.15) they Fight at the end of each Phase (see p.14).

There's nothing written or implied in the rules to make one think that combat would occur or be allowed at any other time. The rules even further state:

Quote:
IMPORTANT Soldiers in Combat Contact may not take any action except Fight, or MOVE to turn and face an opponent. No other actions are allowed while in Combat Contact.

In the section for "Fight" it states:

Quote:
“Fight” involves very close ranged combat, including shooting, bayonets, or clubbed weapons. Soldiers must Fight at the conclusion of each Phase if they are in Combat Contact.)

That's pretty clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a leader who has the ability to move 5 soldiers and then shoot with 2 ? Wow what is his VP value ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He could be one of the 5 soldiers you use the bubble action for, move up real close to your target, shoot instead of melee, and then use his dog tag action to move some more (and avoid the risk of melee). Or shoot and then, if the target survives, move into contact.

Kevin, please clarify. I don't think there are any units with the capability to move and shoot on the same card though I guess it's possible. But if you're saying the bubble has a movement allowance, and then reference the use of his dog tag to move again, where does the shoot come into it? The only way I could see it possible is if he had a special box that allowed or mandated a shoot action. If you have one of those leader, he'd be worth gold in the squad. Now I must go back and check mine to see if there's any hidden pearls on their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Kazmierczak
msg tools
I understand that I can't use a MOVE action to walk out of close combat and that Close Combat is mandatory at the end of each phase. My impetus for my question was on pg. 19 where it says "At the start of the action the soldier whose dog tag is on the card may take an additional action of the type listed on the card." Since Fight is listed under the MOVE box I assumed that he could use the dog tag action of a MOVE card to fight in close combat. However on page 14 it says "All move actions use the Walk section of the MOVE box." If this rule is meant to preclude using a dog tag action then it should read "All MOVE actions use the walk section of the MOVE box."

As for the multiple-action cards, one of the German officers I got promoted at Little Wars has a "Move 5 soldiers, Shoot 2" MOVE card. I also have a MOVE or HIDE card with a bubble that reads "1 soldier takes cover, 2 soldiers shoot, 2 soldiers move". Promotions are good :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy (&@P! those are good. What is the new VP on your promoted guys? Green with envy. Must get to more promo events gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Kazmierczak
msg tools
Well I played three times at Little Wars and I got to promote a rifleman and take him home each time (admittedly Jeff tried to get someone else besides me to play the third game but no one bit). Additionally my dad played twice and one other guy gave me his soldier because he wasn't going to buy the game. Ended up with three of each side (Rob and Jeff were nice enough to let me swap out to keep them balanced, thanks!). The German officer with those cards I believe is 10 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Must get to more promo events

Fwiw, I don't have any either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.