Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Russell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since playing Wiz-War in college many years ago, I've been waiting for a high-quality set to come out so that a great game got the great presentation it deserves. So I was very happy to pick up the new FFG edition. The only problem is that I wasn't able to rope anyone into playing with me. I only game intermittently and it there's a bad case of new-parenthood going around so it's gotten a bit worse.

But I longed to introduce people to the game and the wonderful way it generates those "Wiz-War stories" -- those incredible gaming moments where you were sure to win but lost or sure to lose but won.

Anyway, this weekend some friends put on a DIY gaming day. Usually it's RPGs, but I bid an event simply called "Tom wants to play Wiz-War" and it filled up. So we have a full game of 4 people, I hand out the cheat sheets and we sit down to play.

The first game was...a first game. We were all learning/re-learning so that was to be expected, but the game just didn't have the pop or sizzle that I remembered from college when I played it last. In the end, I was held up by the Red Wizard who foolishly pursued a vendetta against me while Yellow strolled about and simply stole the two treasures he needed without much of a fight.

But there was plenty of time so we had another go at it. This game, this game was much, much better. I think our first game suffered from a deck of spells that were usually personal in nature (Transformation, Alchemy and Mentalism). This time around we had more active spells (Transformation, Conjuration, and Thaumaturgy) that littered the board with objects and items and actively screwed with other people.

So here's my Wiz-War story: I've got one treasure secured and I need one more. I walk up to an opening, cast Destroy Wall so now I can see Yellow's home base and the Green treasure he left there. Then I cast Stretch which lets me reach halfway across the board, and snatch the treasure away. On my next turn I've got the card I need to walk back to my home base, dump the treasure and I win. Victory is assured!

Green's turn, he's got nothing.

Red's turn, he rotates my board segment so now I'm staring down the hallway at Green and Yellow.

Yellow's turn, he walks up, casts Strength so he can rip the treasure away from me. I Counterspell. He Anti-Counterspells my Counterspell. So his Strength goes off and he pulls the treasure away from me. Then he rotates my board away again.

On the next round of turns, Green tries to kill Red with a treasure chest, but it gets bounced back on him and he almost dies, then Yellow punches him and he definitely dies.

On the final round everyone has 1 VP and a treasure so it's a race to home. Red eats his way through a wall and makes a shortcut. Red wins.

And THAT'S how a game of Wiz-War should go!

So I'm very happy with the new edition (and may have sold one or two of the other players on getting their own copy). I definitely need to make more efforts to get this on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent story. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
This weekend, I was on the way home with my last treasure. Player B is on the wrong side of my door to stop me so he destroys a wall, energy boosts to get to my home and picks up my already stored treasure.

I go to my home with 2 moves and play Gravity to force everyone to drop what they carry, he counters it but I happen to have Anti-Anti and recounter. Sweet skin of your teeth win with me holding the exact 2 cards needed to finish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good to have a game that plays like a game should play. Somebody asked me what game I would keep if I could only keep one game and I replied "Up Front" with Wiz-War a close second. As I was driving home I considered swapping those two.

Thanks to FFG for putting it back in print and even adding good ideas to an already great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
It is good to have a game that plays like a game should play. Somebody asked me what game I would keep if I could only keep one game and I replied "Up Front" with Wiz-War a close second.

Thanks to FFG for putting it back in print and even adding good ideas to an already great game.

See what I did there? That's me pretending you never said that penultimate sentence...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.