Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a couple of games where the special tiles were used and one player was able to get two of the goldsmith tiles - a 1 extra coin and a 2 extra coin.

These extra 3 coins every round really made a difference for that player. Granted, that player was making coins from the goldsmith vikings, but the special tiles seemed to make that player an unstoppable buying force.

Has anyone else experienced this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course that player became an unstoppable buying force. laugh

The main value of the gold-boosting bonus tiles is in extra endgame points, not in purchasing power. A player with an income of 6 per goldsmith should have 40-60+ coins left over at the end of the game. They could easily still lose. Being able to afford any tile you want in Vikings doesn't mean that all purchases offer a good value.

Anyway, as to your question, no, the goldsmith special tiles are not too strong. A player can be allowed to get them too easily, and from there be allowed to get too much value out of their cash, but that's on their opponents' shoulders, and not an issue with the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

I'll keep your thoughts in mind the next time I play. Not sure when that will be, but now that I own it *massive amounts of glee* it should be soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.