Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have posted an updated sell sheet for distributors and retailers, but there's info in there that I am sure every gamer will want to know so I'm sharing the link here: http://sjgames.com/general/retail/hts/1977-1.pdf

The really important bit I want to point everyone to is the fact that the game is limited. In the sell sheet you'll find:

"This edition is a labor of love for Steve and the team. It’s highly underpriced for the huge amount of material it contains, and we expect to
print it once and only once.

This edition will be printed to order. We will take advance distributor
orders, print them, and ship them. We will have few, if any, available for re-order. Please talk to your retailers and order enough stock to let them offer this great deal to their customers."

And to make it easier for everyone to get a copy we have also posted a pre-order sheet that's designed for gamers to print and take to their local stores: http://sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogre6e/img/ogre-pre-order.p...

Please contact me at phil@sjgames.com if you have any questions at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So the print run might be over the discussed three thousand number if you get a lot of pre-orders, but there will not be a second printing no matter what. Did I get that right?

Among other things, this means I need to email some long-time Ogre fans who don't hang out on BGG and let them know to do KS, talk to their retailer, or grab the first one they see in November. Waiting until Spring is not a good idea. After the end of the year it will be a battle between the late-comers and the speculators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
So the print run might be over the discussed three thousand number if you get a lot of pre-orders, but there will not be a second printing no matter what. Did I get that right?

If enough orders come in that we go over 3,000 then we'll print as necessary. A reprint is unplanned and unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those crawlers look pretty interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi Mims
United States
Gwinn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring tone!

So is the guy at the bottom one of the $1977 supporters, someone from SJG, or just some artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
Those crawlers look pretty interesting.

"Interesting"--interesting choice of words.

(Predictably, my own thoughts were more along the lines of "BLARGH BLAUGH BLARGLE BLAUUGHH," mostly because it's another one-hex unit which won't fit in a hex, and only a little bit because it looks like a cartoon penguin pee-ice-sculpture launcher.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Another thing you don't like about 6E. Are you okay with the dice colors? I was a little disappointed by "swirly black". Well, at least you have $150 the rest of us don't have.

I saw the cruise missiles, but can't find it now. The did look different, more aquatic that aerial. But we don't want to be hidebound. Think of it as a Global Hawk mixed with a F-35. Makes perfect sense. I want another look, but can't remember where that bit was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Another thing you don't like about 6E. Are you okay with the dice colors?

Ha ha ha. I'm beginning to think it's personal, like maybe they're having staff meetings to discuss ways to make me angry. ("Well, I like where you're going with item number four on this slide, but from a manufacturing expense standpoint, I'm not sure we can include a half-eaten egg salad sandwich in every box. Maybe we could make that a stretch goal?")

andreww wrote:
I saw the cruise missiles, but can't find it now.

(Bottom right of page 2 in that PDF Phil gave a link to above.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the image location.

Well, if bell curves have taught us anything, we could guess that any reasonable conception of "6E" would make a lot of people happy, make a few people *very* happy, and a few people pretty darn unhappy. You just drew the short straw. The plus side is you have $150 to spend on other games.

In an alternate universe, I suppose, *I* am posting to BGG about how much I hate this edition. Other truths about that universe's 6E:

The HVY tank has been eliminated from the game because it's an offensive symbol of capitalist oppression.

The Fencer has been nerfed by reducing it to one missile launcher and a movement of two.

Every included scenario is Ceasefire Collapse with different window dressing.

The dice have no pips, but instead of silhouettes on each side of the armor unit with an attack strength of the appropriate number: LGEV for 1, LT TNK for 2, MSL for 3, etc.

A really involved system of morale rolls has been introduced. Roll snake eyes and your Ogre runs from a couple of LT TNKs and a platoon of infantry.

The buildings and Ogre are vertical chipboard pieces in small, lightweight plastic bases that fall over constantly.

The T-shirt is replaced by a pair of bell-bottom jeans with the word "Ogre" embroidered across the backside.

The artwork gets the standard skulls-and-cleavage treatment.

They would include the boring old Marines but leave out the exciting Engineers...

...oh, wait.

Rats, I'm in the wrong universe. And I was soooo close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi Mims
United States
Gwinn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
The T-shirt is replaced by a pair of bell-bottom jeans with the word "Ogre" embroidered across the backside.

I could use a pair of bell-bottoms, doubly if they made reference to a game about nuclear warfare... There's something ironic about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
andreww wrote:
Another thing you don't like about 6E. Are you okay with the dice colors?

Ha ha ha. I'm beginning to think it's personal, like maybe they're having staff meetings to discuss ways to make me angry. ("Well, I like where you're going with item number four on this slide, but from a manufacturing expense standpoint, I'm not sure we can include a half-eaten egg salad sandwich in every box. Maybe we could make that a stretch goal?")

andreww wrote:
I saw the cruise missiles, but can't find it now.

(Bottom right of page 2 in that PDF Phil gave a link to above.)

Well on the BGG custom sheet there is going to be a picture of you on a token which the Ogre's can run over to restore health/reduce damage.

What makes you think that it's personal? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the guy on page 3 one of the $1977 pledgers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Well, if bell curves have taught us anything, we could guess that any reasonable conception of "6E" would make a lot of people happy

Find me one person who thinks it's a good idea for missile crawler counters to hang over into adjacent hexes!

(SJ himself is disqualified, for the same reason you'd exclude George Lucas when asking for one person who thought it would be a good idea to re-release Star Wars with Greedo shooting at Han Solo.)

andreww wrote:
The plus side is you have $150 to spend on other games.

That's the part that bugs me the most--knowing that, despite every new piece of information making me want this game less, I'm still probably going to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
That's the part that bugs me the most--knowing that, despite every new piece of information making me want this game less, I'm still probably going to get it.

Seriously? Why spend so much money to reward something you find so unappealing? I'd simply wait until they release the more classic-style smaller version Ogre next summer (if I understand some of the stretch goal posts I've seen correctly) and see how it looks.

Meanwhile there are plenty of games I'm very interested in playing which are also in aesthetically pleasing editions which fit comfortably on my shelf. I suppose your situation is similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I think the new picture of the units on the board on the sellsheet looks fantastic.

(Runs from Russ and Rusty's 2-1 attack roll)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi Mims
United States
Gwinn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
andreww wrote:
Well, if bell curves have taught us anything, we could guess that any reasonable conception of "6E" would make a lot of people happy

Find me one person who thinks it's a good idea for missile crawler counters to hang over into adjacent hexes!

(SJ himself is disqualified, for the same reason you'd exclude George Lucas when asking for one person who thought it would be a good idea to re-release Star Wars with Greedo shooting at Han Solo.)

andreww wrote:
The plus side is you have $150 to spend on other games.

I think it's a good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D351 wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Me, too!

Two-hex Ogres are just fine as well... as can be seen in Deluxe Ogre with Miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too keen on the units that take more space than they should, but I'll reserve judgement until after I've played a few games, if I still don't like them, some 1 hex versions will replace them - But believe me, the degree of fuss over the quality of the replacements will reach new levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

The artwork gets the standard skulls-and-cleavage treatment.

This cracked me up. I hope Derk is not one of the $1977 supporters in your alternate universe!

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I'm not crazy about that. There is one thing that would bug me *more*, though, and that's artwork at different scales. The missile crawler is a large vehicle, thus large counter.

You're always making tradeoffs. I don't care for 1.5" hexes - at 2" you can fit the miniatures into the hexes better, etc. But at 2" you can't fit the map on the table. I know, I have a bunch of 2" scale maps (Ogre and G.E.V., paper and felt) that I made in the 1990s.

So there were three options:

Maps that won't fit on the table
Units that don't fit in the hexes
Artwork to small to enjoy
Artwork in various scales so different vehicles all fit on the same size counter

The first option bumps up the cost and means that some people simply won't be able to play the game at home. Actually, even at 1.5" some people probably won't be able to play the game at home, but *more* people would be limited to stores, cons, and community centers with option 1.

I'm certain options three and four would have a lot of supporters if we took a poll, but I bet a fist-full of counters that option two would be the most popular, awkward as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather see an out-of-scale missile crawler that fits in one hex.

I can live with super-big Ogres...after all, they are Ogres!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Looking at the crawler vs the super heavy it only looks like it would hang over the hex edges a little bit. This, of course, must be some sort of vendetta against OCD people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In the first place, there shouldn't be any units next to your missile crawlers. Maybe a HWZ. They should be away from the fighting.

If the missile crawler gets into a furball, presumably briefly at the end of it's existence, since facing doesn't matter you can always rotate it to get everything in there. It's only for a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Seriously? Why spend so much money to reward something you find so unappealing? I'd simply wait until they release the more classic-style smaller version Ogre next summer (if I understand some of the stretch goal posts I've seen correctly) and see how it looks.

Well, I do want the maps; whatever else they do to this edition, at least they haven't messed up Denis Loubet's artwork.

(Regarding the smaller version, it sounds like it'll be Ogre only, no GEV.)

D351 wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

I was going to say, "Steve? Is that you!?" but with your Kwanchai microbadge, probably not, ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Barrett
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
selenite wrote:
Is the guy on page 3 one of the $1977 pledgers?

Nope. That duder is one of our fellow SJ Games employees, known to his friends only as Randy Scheunemann. I say this with great certainty, for he has a head most memorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.