Subject: Do units under siege prevent flagging of spaces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
If you have an army besieging a fortified space, and the units under siege are the only ones adjacent to an empty unfortified space which is adjacent to one of your units, can you flag the space?

Even if the only formation you have adjacent to it is your besieging army?

Logic says yes, a strict reading of the rules (I think) says no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Barbarossa wrote:
If you have an army besieging a fortified space, and the units under siege are the only ones adjacent to an empty unfortified space which is adjacent to one of your units, can you flag the space?

No. The units under siege are also adjacent to that space.

(I don't know how logic would dictate otherwise.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
turbothy wrote:
[
(I don't know how logic would dictate otherwise.)

The idea is that flagging a space represents using small numbers of your troops (not significant in terms of unit values) to take over control of administering the space. If there are no large numbers of your own troops in the space, this process is prevented by adjacent enemy units offering a degree of support to the similar low numbers of enemy troops who currently occupy the place. If the only adjacent units are under siege, they aren't in a position to support their friends.

However, you could say that the "support" consists merely of the knowledge that there are friendly troops nearby who might at some point be in a position to come along and help them - and that a besieged garrison fulfils this.

There is quite often some discussion about what powers a besieged garrison retains in terms of interrupting supply lines, etc (the same question comes up in Paths of Glory, for example), so it's a reasonable question to raise. There's a big difference in different periods, of course - one envisages a siege in HIS as representing the garrison physically holed up in a fortified city with the besiegers roaming around over the whole surrounding area, whereas in PoG you have an army attacking, but not necessarily surrounding, a fortified zone which might be many miles in extent and wouldn't be cut off in the same way as a sixteenth-century city or fortress would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Barbarossa wrote:
The idea is that flagging a space represents using small numbers of your troops (not significant in terms of unit values) to take over control of administering the space.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about logic as related to the rules. Discussions of theme and chrome is in room 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.