Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One aspect of my 11 year old daughter's science project is a visual arts display. She's doing the Arctic environment and decided to make a game. Who else to turn to besides good old dad?

Thinking about a couple of simple games that we had played (hey that's my fish, Carcassonne) she did want to do something tile related. Eventually she choose to re-theme Forbidden Island with a few changes:

* Drop the water level, always draw 2 flood
* Add predators that will eat you (polar bear & wolf)
* Rework the characters (native, scientist, arctic artic fox, harp seal, caribou)

Fun father-daughter project where I did the layout and she provided the vision directing the creative proscess. Now she just has a bit of assembly to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good! I like the idea of an Arctic version.

I'm intrigued: How do the predators work? And what are the treasures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A predator shows up as the result of a treasure card turn, there are two in the deck. After all players have taken a turn in a round the predators will move 3 spaces towards the nearest player and eat them. Predators stay on the board for 3 full rounds.

Treasures there are igloos, arctic hare fur, arctic poppy extract, and fish fossils.

The characters are arctic fox (unaffected by predators), scientist (hold 7 cards), native (shore up 2 for 1 action), caribou (move 2 spaces for 1 action, once per turn).

We haven't play tested yet, but it looks like it should be playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound rather good. I can imagine it would play well, with the danger of predators balancing out the lower flood draw level.

One suggestion though: As you're in the arctic, wouldn't it make more sense for tiles to "melt" rather than "flood"? And so "shore up" = "re-freeze"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right we've re themed some of the terms as well:

Waters rise = pollution x3
Sand bags = green energy x5
No helicopters
Flood = Environment degradation

I expect the game will be played in class "flexibly", but the kids should have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.