Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing as the Keeper/Overlord in Mansions/Descent, I put on a big stupid smile before they open a door. Delays the game for 2 minutes while they argue if they should really open that door.

I try to come up with little stories about the individual gamers when explaining a new game. With Cash and Guns for example, I explain that we are gangsters who went next door, robbed the pizza place silly, and ran back next door to our secret hideout at the game store.

With a game like the Resistance with new players, after introducing the game and going over the object of the game, when we finish the "everyone open your eyes" part, I then say "okay, so who are the spies?" I don't know why, but it seems to work more often than you think. Naturally we immediately reshuffle the ops/spy cards again.

And I haven't done it yet, but I am going to slip the Fluxx "You Also Need a Potato" card into a sleeved card for other games, just to see reactions when playing games like Cosmic Encounter, Catan, and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Being that we know each other rather well, name calling and badgering one another is a constant occurance. If someone were to walk into our gaming session not knowing any of us, they may think that we are about to have an all out brawl. So when Noobs show up we TRY to tone it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
When playing a large diplomatic/war game (like Diplomacy or Supremacy), pass around a note that says simply "don't show this to _____" (fill in the blank with the name of the most paranoid player at the table). Be sure to react significantly when you read the note. The results can be entertaining...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KamikazeJohnson wrote:
When playing a large diplomatic/war game (like Diplomacy or Supremacy), pass around a note that says simply "don't show this to _____" (fill in the blank with the name of the most paranoid player at the table). Be sure to react significantly when you read the note. The results can be entertaining...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
People always get a chuckle out of me saying that the Elves in Small World are all sissies because they all flee.

And they are. Just look at them. Somehow they got a pink spot to have their picture taken for the tokens. I don't see any pink on the Small World board at all! They could have gone underground to one of the crystal regions for that, but really, they are sissies and why would they risk getting their coat dirty, or their leggings. Also they are smelling a flower. Look at the Giants. Now look at the Elves, Now look at the Giants again. Who are you going to slay? The flower-smelling pansy or the club-that-is-big-as-half-their-body Giants? And they didn't pose for that picture either! It's not photoshop or nothing. The Giants really are that big, so there's no way to get a picture at eye-height. And no Giant is going to mess about with a camera trying to get their fellow Giant to get their inner flirtatious cuddly Giant out because 1. there is none and 2. what is with this camera I have mountains to climb and things to smash with my club starting with this camera!

Also, yelling Saboteur in games you're playing after you've played Saboteur is a big hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Prior to playing any game, I like to remind people that Bill is a Cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends is highly obsessed with the organization of her pieces. I like to go and move one a little just to get the dirty look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness the group has a sense of humor because I can rub it in real bad at times....

[geekurl=http://slabcitygang.blogspot.com/2012/04/2012not-pretiest-start-for-some.html]first...[/geekurl]

[geekurl=http://slabcitygang.blogspot.com/2012/04/2012not-best-starts-for-some.html]second...[/geekurl]

[geekurl=http://slabcitygang.blogspot.com/2012/04/2012not-best-starts-for-some.html]and finally...[/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err whn i teach arkham horror, or betrayal, or haunted house i say we are a bunch of white people too dumb to leave town.

then i hearken back to that richard prior skit about the amityville horror where he comments only white people would be dumb enough to live in a house whose walls bleed and is obviously haunted, If a black family moved in they would say nice house, good schools great neighborhood, then the house would whisper "get out" the black family would say too bad we can;t stay and leave. In horror movies it seems like only white people are dumb enough to STAY in haunted houses.

So i figure only white people are dumb enough to stay in Arkham, or those houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^

i'll have to steal that one for my Mansions of Madness games, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing Pit, I've occasionally held one of each commodity in my hand, trading only the extras. Eventually, people start to figure out why no one has been able to corner the market, and laughter ensues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once, I introduced the game Belfort to my friend Ryan and another friend of his. Ryan didn't like Belfort. So Ryan put a hustler "adult" image playing card in one of my card sleeves to surprise me the next time I played.

This should have been hilarious.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The next time I played Belfort it was with my sister and father. They didn't like Belfort either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
While playing Pit, I've occasionally held one of each commodity in my hand, trading only the extras. Eventually, people start to figure out why no one has been able to corner the market, and laughter ensues.

Similar to how when I play Catch Phrase I pass around the message "Next time _____ is trying to get an answer, no one answer."

The best occasion here was my friend Kaitlyn trying to get everyone to guess "up."

"The Pixar movie about an old man and his flying house . . . with a chubby asian!!!!! . . . The most recent Pixar movie!!! . . . Not down but . . . NOT DOWN BUT !!!!!! . . . you guys are all @#$%&@#$%&."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just some good old fashioned trash tracking now & then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valairia wrote:
then i hearken back to that richard prior skit

Eddie Murphy, you mean.

NOT WORK SAFE (language), obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.