Subject: Penny Arcade blitz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Z
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received my Series Two Box Set following the exposure of this game by Penny Arcade. In the time between the PA posting and getting the game, I had printed out multiple copies of the "sampler" so I could play a 3 on 3 game with my son. We both loved it and couldn't wait to get a "true" feel of the game by drafting characters and experiencing the dynamics of the different classes and triggering abilities.
So, now that I've got a ton of cards/characters from owning a box set...it is now time to get to playing the games. I hope this exposure ends up motivating Eric to continue developing his creation. From reviewing his blog, it looked like he wasn't overly active until recently. I also hope that the deluge of buyers helps drive DOWN the price of the game a bit. It is beautiful and fun, but the price point is keeping me from going out and getting everything that is currently available.
Has anyone else gotten this game due to the Penny Arcade mention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McGill
New Zealand
Wellington
Waikato
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I fell in love with this game a while ago and was ecstatic to see it's name dropped on PA!

I share your hope for MORE Iconica, but as for the price, I realize is must be a hard road making something of such quality as an independent game maker, so I feel the cost is probably what it needs to be to keep this dream going.

Of course, that said, as I will be buying what ever comes next, if it's cheaper while still maintaining quality and creator enjoyment, every one wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Ingraham

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got mine and looking forward to playing with my brother. I'm on the same page in terms of quality, cost, etc. I love the look and feel of the cards, but feel that with 22 characters it's unlikely that I'll exhaust it any time soon and feel truly compelled to pick up series One when it gets reprinted, much as I might want to.

I did email with Eric a bit and he said that most of his free time was taken up with working on Iconica (I had indirectly approached him about freelance design), so I'm sure we'll continue to see more. Not sure about the price.

Perhaps (and I realize this the fad at the moment) if he did a kickstarter he could do larger productions and get the price down? I'd be on board for sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Z
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric responded somewhere about Kickstarter. I don't remember it being much more than it being on his radar and that he might utilize it with further work. The 1st set is back in the shop as of today and for a short period there is an exclusive card attached to it. As much as that eats away at my collector's soul, I can't rationalize spending over $100 (when you include shipping) on two sets of these cards that I've only had limited time with so far. Most likely the price will have to come down or at least a more viable system for getting additional cards be introduced for me to add to what I have (as much as I want EVERYTHING!).

[EDIT - O.K., I guess I'm a tad too impulsive for my pocket book's good. In checking the Etsy store after posting this, I saw a note that Series One was sold out. Don't know if this was an old message or that the set sold out already after becoming available again today (EDIT 2 - looks like my order went through). Still can't find the rationality for me to do this....but I can't say that I claimed to always be rational!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Ingraham

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in the exact same boat. I think the cards are beautiful and want more, but I'm almost certain i wouldn't get double the enjoyment.

Also, whoa, you're right. I looked earlier and Series 1 was up there, saying that if you ordered before May 6th you'd get a pre-order bonus, and now its gone again. Perhaps a false start?

http://rynaga.com/view_post/the-return-of-iconica-series-one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Z
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You could potentially "rationalize" that one set would do you plenty good and might be worth the cost as it is all you will ever need. Just think. A 3v3 or a 2-player 6v6 game and you have 22 cards to play from. With all the potential combinations, one set may be all you needs and worth the price. Perhaps, that ideal is what keeps the cost high. My thinking is if he'd cut the cost by a third he'd sell more product which will boost exposure/circulation.

So, why did I go ahead and buy Set One? These cards are SO individualized and beautiful that it is almost better than Pokemon in the "gotta catch them all" ideal. I want to be able to run three assassins. I want to be able to draft the perfect card to counter what my opponent drafts. Diversity!

Oh, and I'm an idiot when it comes to impulsive purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this on Penny Arcage and Tycho was raving about it and it's an easy thing for me to download and print out the sample so...

I get the mechanics but a 1 card vs 1 card battle was a mindless slugfest. Roll dice, pick option that does the most damage, repeat until someone is dead. I think I can imagine it being more interesting with 3 cards per side as it says in the instructions, but I don't know.

Why are you guys talking about 6v6? The instructions say 3v3. I'm using the latest instructions from the file section here on BGG. Ver 5 I think it was. Maybe I'm using the wrong thing?

Yes the info page says Set 1 is sold out but the ordering page shows it in stock. What does that mean?

The info here on BGG says I can buy cards one at a time but all I can buy on the Etsy site is packs and packs with bits.

I guess what I'm saying is: I'm not impressed. Things seem confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Z
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Version 5 instructions feature a 4-player version in figure 2.

If you want a "better" hint of what to expect, print out three copies of the sampler and play a 3v3 battle (I'd suggest each player having a mix of rangers and dreadnaughts). Doing so gives you more of the strategy behind the game rather than a 1v1 slugfest. The draft is where the full game is at IMO. I feel having a full set of cards to draft from will increase the fun of the game greatly. You could do a blind draft and not know what the other side picks, but the actual rules are that you show your characters as you draft which is going to allow for a lot of counter picking which should make the match a lot more exciting.

I'm guessing that the "sold out" message was placed there when the set was sold out, but people were flocking to the site with the PA mention. But, I didn't see it until today. Like I wrote up above, I've ordered Set One even with that message showing and I've since gotten paypal and Etsy confirmation of the order. I'll post if the order isn't honored due to it being sold out.

It looks like at one time he sold singles. You can still follow picture links to the buy pages for individual cards. This would be cool for individual sales if the cost was reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the cost was supposed to be reasonable. The description says $1-$4 a card. So that means I could try the game for $6. As it stands now, I can really only try the game for $29 at minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Shirai
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Has anyone else gotten this game due to the Penny Arcade mention?

I did. I'd like to write more about this game, and I'd definitely like to pass on some constructive comments to the creator once he's no longer swamped with work and Penny Arcade orders, but the Cliff's Notes for now...

* I love the look and feel. The cards are slick and beautiful.
* You absolutely have to know what all the characters do and can do before playing, since the vast majority of the game is drafting a team and then basically "bashing its head" up against your opponent's squad to see who picked best. This is unfortunate, as the game has almost 60 characters at this point, and even the 20 or so that come in one of the sets can be a lot to take in for someone first starting out. There are even characters that are nigh useless unless correctly partied with others! (Acasian Arc Adept, Karmethian Nervapath)
* There's definitely a large variance in character power, which is dismaying for a game that listed "no junk/duplicate/fodder cards" as a design goal. Just to get that conversation started, if anyone's curious: I think the Farpoint Mercenary is strong enough to almost beat entire parties by itself, and is even better in a group. :P
* I find the basic mechanic very intriguing! I'm going to spend some time in the coming days seeing how the mechanic holds up to experimentation outside of the 3v3 skirmishes in the base rules. Specifically, I'm curious how uneven matchups, large matchups (6v6 or more) and consecutive matchups (winning team keeps its HP level and status) play out. Maybe the basic mechanic is amenable to multiplayer co-op, or solitaire play, or campaign play? Who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm glad the game has received a boost in popularity thanks to penny arcade as it always seemed to not get enough attention. I myself saw it on wired.com geekdad section and liked it enough to buy it and decided to do a review after not seeing too many of them out there for this game and none on here.

There used to be starter sets that had 6 characters and all the pieces needed to play a 2 player game which was $15. You could then buy individual cards after that. He phased that out in favor of the full sets though. Kind of a shame as that's how I got into the game and may not have bought it if I needed to pay $45 upfront. I do understand that the creator makes the game on his own with no publisher so needs to charge more.

It's a fun and easy to pick up game plus I love the art. I do agree that the price is a bit high for what you get. While the cards are nice and large it still feels like a lot of money for what you get especially when the box is just cheap see through plastic. Hopefully the creator goes the kickstarter route and brings the cost down as well as giving a nice box and general nicer presentation that the game deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Z
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 3-player match this weekend. It was fun, but I was worried when my brother and son discussed how they were going to pick me off from the onset. Luckily, they took shots at each other. My son used a healer and as all rpg'ers know....the healer needs to die (get skulled) QUICKLY.

I enjoyed the actions that allow multiple targets as I could spread poison counters out on one player's characters and then drop 20 dmg on a character someone else controlled. We had an awesome reaction combo/string that went back and forth at least five times.

I went more for known damage rather than the more luck-driven actions. It came down to my son and I at one character each. Although I was not in danger of being skulled soon, I finished his character off only to have him with a final act (imprisonment?) that would let him win with a lucky roll. Lucky for me he didn't get the right number!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.