Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got in a half a game of Partizan over the weekend. There are a lot of ideas here, really getting across the feel of an insurgency and the difficulty the Germans and their allies had trying to gain control of Yugoslavia. I played the partisans and in retrospect played the game almost exactly wrong. Tito got revealed pretty early in an ill-advised raid. He and a group of hardy followers retreated up into the mountains around Tanja Luka and for the remainder of the five turns we played, the Germans and Italians had them surrounded. It was just a matter of time before Tito was brought to heel. I screwed up by building my replacements in and around that area in an attempt to break him out. I probably should have just let him go, taken the 2 VP penalty and brought the replacements on the board elsewhere to maximize destruction across Yugoslavia. (And thinking back, the game itself gives a hint through its requirement that replacements be dispersed throughout the regions). I also was stacking my partisans, about two or three a stack, which was probably a mistake. It was only when we decided the next turn or so would be the last, that I started running individual chits out to gobble up targets, that I thought---oh, this is what I should have been doing the whole game. You would need at least 26 VP a turn to get even a minor partisan victory and that's a lot of blown ammo dumps.

As I said, what we played was interesting (and obviously only doing 5 turns left a lot of game on the table--didn't get to Italy surrendering, for example). The biggest negative for us was resetting the targets each turn, which was taking us 5-10 minutes a pop and brought the flow of the game to a complete halt. It's obviously a key element of Partizan, and I can't think of another way for the game to do it, but we were sighing a bit when we would get back to the target objective placement phase. But overall, pretty good for what we played and I'm hoping to take another stab at it down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.