Discworld: Ankh-Morpork» Forums » General

Subject: In praise of the Deluxe edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brendan keane
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I have been playing Ankh Morepork for some time now and love the game to bits. I should declare at the outset that I am both a gamer and a Terry Pratchett fan. Despite my obvious bias I cannot see why the game has not moved higher up the ranks. I own two other Martin Wallace games (London & AFAS) and this is, for me, the most enjoyable.

Each time the game has hit the table I have taken time to admire the quality of the components. The board is gorgeous and the artwork on the cards is marvelous; admirably capturing locations and characters from the books (Apart from Sybil Vimes - but one in so many can be easily forgiven).

After a few months of playing, however, I felt something was wrong but had difficult putting my finger on what it was. Then it came to me. The wooden pieces did not fit with the rest of the components. They were like inferior pieces substituted from another game and added as an afterthought.

After that realisation I had difficulty playing the game without thinking how out of place the wooden pieces were. There was no getting away from it, they were a distraction from the overall quality. I bit the bullet and sent off for a copy of the deluxe edition with the resin pieces.

I have now played several games with the resin pieces and all is now right with the (Disc)world. the resin pieces are a joy and pleasure to play with. They fit and meld with the board in the same way a Lewis chess set blends with it's base. It's particularly enjoyable during those crowded games when the board is full of houses and minions. Even when losing I can look and enjoy.

I'm sure Martin must have realised that the game really needed quality pieces. Perhaps the more expensive resin figures are not needed for everyone's enjoyment of the game but true Discworld fans will enjoy having quality "Thud" like pieces. To me they improve the playing experience ten fold.

Now I can't wait for the "Granny Weatherwax Comes to Town" expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The Deluxe Edition is beautiful and the game is just chaotic fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You`re absolutely right: The resign pieces are awesome....BUT the deluxe version is very expensive AND the resin pieces are only sold with this deluxe version. I wish they would have made the option to buy those pieces additionally as an addon so that owner of the "standard" version were able to upgrade their version of the game ... anyhow: The resin pieces look realy good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkeane2 wrote:

Did I miss something here? Will there be an expansion??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni L
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
bkeane2 wrote:

Did I miss something here? Will there be an expansion??

Same here! wow

When?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan keane
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Nah! sorry guys just wishful thinking. I thought if I started a rumor .......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
bkeane2 wrote:
You could hack into the treefrog site and just announce it whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni L
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkeane2 wrote:

You're mean...

If it got the game rebalanced to support 5 players (with some new personae, obviously), it would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, pleease, Mr. Wallace!!! And have a brief read of the ideas in the threads here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Loveridge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Wow! I didn't know a deluxe edition existed. I played my first game of Ankh-Morpork last weekend after having it sit on the shelf for about a month. Anyone know if you can buy the deluxe resign pieces separately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dusk777 wrote:
Wow! I didn't know a deluxe edition existed. I played my first game of Ankh-Morpork last weekend after having it sit on the shelf for about a month. Anyone know if you can buy the deluxe resign pieces separately?

Highly doubtful.

I am sure more than a few owners of the deluxe version would be slightly miffed about shelling out the cash for their version when others would be able to pay substantially less to "upgrade" their copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bkeane2 wrote:
Despite Because of my obvious bias I cannot see why the game has not moved higher up the ranks.

Fixed for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.