Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Working on my current gaming project, I am looking at the combat system.
I have written pages and pages of different combat systems and like the idea of using different coloured dice.

I realise a system using different coloured dice has been done many times before. But the system I prefer works best with them.

But the question is do colour blind people have problems with different coloured dice being too similar?

Are there 3 or 4 colours that look different enough not to be a problem?
Black , White, and which others?

Yes its easy to ask a gaming buddy to make sure you pick up the right dice, but solo play is a big thing for my game and I feel if I can get the colour of dice right at the start that would be good.

Many thnaks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine a system with colored dice that are all the same is doing anything but cutting down on keeping track of several different rolls of the same single colored dice, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you want to keep it handy Paul; how about:

Black (white symbols)
White (black symbols)
Grey (black symbols)
Decorated (similar to white but with a few flourishes on the results)

That would be something that would work.

Alternatively you could have some dice in different sizes?
Or you could have dice that are cross-hatched (single direction, double direction etc) ?

sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you use regular dice? Or do they have custom-symbols...?

If you use regular dice, you could just use black and white, like mentioned above, but once with the usual pips, and once with arabic numbers. Or even Roman Numerals, which (because of them being unfamiliar) makes them even more unlikely to get mixed up with the other variant.

Granted, this only works with numbers.

Two sizes might also work, but then mixups can easily occur. I myself am prone to the odd brainfart, and when it's essential (say you have to deliberately pick up certain dice), it's just annoying when that happens...

You could also change the decoration if you only use Arabic numerals - 2 dice with a circle surrounding the number, and 2 dice without the circle...

Maybe that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
tqboz wrote:
do colour blind people have problems with different coloured dice being too similar?

Yes.

tqboz wrote:
Are there 3 or 4 colours that look different enough not to be a problem?

No.

Without knowing more about the specifics of your dice it's hard to offer suggestions. However, the best way to address color-blindness is to use symbols. For example, you might use a distinct background symbol (e.g., circle, square, octagon, etc.) on each die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi thanks for replies.

The dice at the moment are D10 but they are custom dice so each colour of dice would have a different set of results on them.

But the symbols are universal between the dice.

The dice in order for example would be:

Black Dice lower chance of success
then green, then white, then red having the most chance of success.

So depending on the skill of the shooter, a different dice would be used.

I was debating on using various sided dice to represent that so D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 for instance which I might decide to do instead.

I felt that custom dice would add something to the game as opposed to rolling a certain number or higher to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
I felt that custom dice would add something to the game as opposed to rolling a certain number or higher to hit.

I can tell you exactly what it would add.

Cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the easiest thing that i can think off is having diffrent replacements for the regular "pips" on normal dice (e.g: stars, squares swords or shield icons).but that would involve costy custom dice

A cheap and easy fix could be found in non-custom dice that display the numbers diffrently anyway (e.g a six sided dice that uses pips, and a six sided dice that uses the actual number) allthough it might not be a nice idea from an aesthetic viewpoint

They are all pretty standard solutions but i hope they match your expectations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nunn
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

tqboz wrote:
But the question is do colour blind people have problems with different coloured dice being too similar?

The short answer is yes.

In general the most common form of color blindness is red-green. The second most common form is blue-yellow. This means that the bulk of games out there are horribly designed for the color blind since the most common 4 colors set is blue-green-red-yellow.

Two members of my design group are red-green color blind and they also assert that brown looks pretty much the same to them as red and green. That gives you three colors to avoid putting together.

The easiest solution is to marry a symbol to each shape. Knizia's Ingenious does an excellent job with this.

If it is the dice themselves that are different colors, try taking a picture of them and use your favorite art software to convert all the colors to grayscale. If you can still distinguish them easily, the colors shouldn't be any problem.

Alternately, consider making different color dice also be different sizes.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, will stay away from different coloured dice meaning different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am red-green colorblind; and yes, red, green, brown all get confused. Also, secondary colors using my "trouble" colors will look like the primary color they are combined with (purple and teal look blue, yellow-green looks yellow).

For your dice, black, white, blue, and red would be fine and should avoid problems with color-blindness unless you run into someone who is completely color blind (they see black & white), but those are supposed to be super-rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kgnunn wrote:
If it is the dice themselves that are different colors, try taking a picture of them and use your favorite art software to convert all the colors to grayscale. If you can still distinguish them easily, the colors shouldn't be any problem.

Some graphics programs, such as Illustrator and Photoshop, have color blindness simulators built in. I believe plugins are available for GIMP.

There are also online services which do the same:
http://www.etre.com/tools/colourblindsimulator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fuller
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a useful resource:

http://jfly.iam.u-tokyo.ac.jp/color/#pallet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this one too:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20738/color-blind-imag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red/green is the most common.

Blue/Yellow is very rare.

If you add some other form of identifier it would be helpful if your worried about it. (seems most game publishers don't)

Make them of different size. Make the dots different shapes.

Or use different levels of grey scale from white to black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.