Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd Edition Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So... when do we get our replacement role cards?

The financier and the rebel action card text are no longer correct.

The game has sat on my shelf for a year awaiting 'final' rules (yes yes I know I could have played it, but there are so many other games to learn in the meantime that don't make me learn them more than once...) and now I see that the components are no longer accurate.

I guess that this will teach me for being an early adopter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
'I didn't play a game for a year and now there's errata.'

I'm sure they'll get right on that one.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be good to know exactly what components from the 1st edition require modification to play with the 2nd edition rules.

Also, will an upgrade kit be made available for 1st edition owners?

I'm not posing these questions in a negative, whinging way - just curious to know.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmmm. Sounds very much like the game was being (and still is) produced in a similar way to software - release something buggy but flashy enough to bring in money, and then patch it to make it sort-of bearable once the screaming starts.

I was very interested in this game many months ago when I first read about it. And now I won't touch it with a barge-pole until I get confirmation of a final version, set in stone, and printed in full in one box. Oh, and FIXED.

Not on, and think the designer and publishers owe quite a bit to those who bought the game (thinking it complete and workable) but who are now left behind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand the 1st edition game wasn't broken and was a lot of fun to play. So a really good fun game sat on your shelf for a year when it could have been played. Games have errata; go figure. Appears to be an over-reaction to a common occurence in gaming. As for the question regarding a kit to make owners of 1st edition able to play with second edition rules, that is legit. In the wargame world most companies will offer errata counters and maps seperately from the 2nd edition game to upgrade 1st edition games.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
On the other hand the 1st edition game wasn't broken and was a lot of fun to play. So a really good fun game sat on your shelf for a year when it could have been played. Games have errata; go figure. Appears to be an over-reaction to a common occurence in gaming. As for the question regarding a kit to make owners of 1st edition able to play with second edition rules, that is legit. In the wargame world most companies will offer errata counters and maps seperately from the 2nd edition game to upgrade 1st edition games.


This. It played perfectly good with the original rules as written. Who the heck would let it sit on the shelf waiting for an eratta?

Play it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
gohrns wrote:
On the other hand the 1st edition game wasn't broken and was a lot of fun to play. So a really good fun game sat on your shelf for a year when it could have been played. Games have errata; go figure. Appears to be an over-reaction to a common occurence in gaming. As for the question regarding a kit to make owners of 1st edition able to play with second edition rules, that is legit. In the wargame world most companies will offer errata counters and maps seperately from the 2nd edition game to upgrade 1st edition games.


This. It played perfectly good with the original rules as written. Who the heck would let it sit on the shelf waiting for an eratta?

Play it.


I agree! I have enjoyed the first edition!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3 sets of rules that are all pretty different in 7 months? I've no problem with living rules, but at least they are labelled as such and rarely require changes to actual components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:


This. It played perfectly good with the original rules as written. Who the heck would let it sit on the shelf waiting for an eratta?

Play it.


Someone who just got back from Essen with a boat load of new games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
MWChapel wrote:


This. It played perfectly good with the original rules as written. Who the heck would let it sit on the shelf waiting for an eratta?

Play it.


Someone who just got back from Essen with a boat load of new games.


Well from someone who has played a boatload of essen games, I'll tell you that this one was one of the top three I played last year.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my voice in support of the view that the first edition is NOT broken - not by any means - it's an excellent game.

The designer has been slightly unfortunate in that his excellent attempts to support the game on this site, as well as enhance it with revised rules, has led (mistakenly) to the view that there's something wrong with the original rules. There isn't. Doubtless there will be improvements in the updated rules (I've not tried them yet) but that should in no way imply that there's anything "wrong" with the first edition. There isn't - it's a great game. IMHO.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing to do is to always wait for the 2nd ed/reprint (playing other games in the meantime)...

1. You save money if the game isn't that good as advertised initially,

2. You don't pay extra for upgraded 2nd ed components in case they aren't offered for free,

3. You don't act as a playtester, but you get the final game with final playtested rules, ready to play.

If the game is limited and you miss out, it is no big deal. There are still so many good games around!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
The best thing to do is to always wait for the 2nd ed/reprint (playing other games in the meantime)...


Well done. I cannot think of a better way to kill off the Board Game industry completely!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Seghillian wrote:
GeoMan wrote:
The best thing to do is to always wait for the 2nd ed/reprint (playing other games in the meantime)...


Well done. I cannot think of a better way to kill off the Board Game industry completely!


Actually, I can - have the industry follow the video games industry and either release substandard products that require fixing via new editions or add-ons, or supersede your own product within a short time of release with a new, improved version. One of these has happened here (and see the efforts of David Sirlin, who happens to come from the vg industry).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After a serious amount of play, and a lot of feedback from people who did not like the rules as written, I succumbed to temptation and house ruled this fantastic game.

Hi, my name is Mycroft and I'm addicted to house ruling games...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Mycroft Stout wrote:
After a serious amount of play, and a lot of feedback from people who did not like the rules as written, I succumbed to temptation and house ruled this fantastic game.

Hi, my name is Mycroft and I'm addicted to house ruling games...


I take it your point is that house ruling can fix perceived problems?

True. But then why spend money for the game in the first place?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mycroft Stout wrote:
After a serious amount of play, and a lot of feedback from people who did not like the rules as written, I succumbed to temptation and house ruled this fantastic game.


It would be interesting to hear about your house rules - perhaps you could contribute them in the Variants section?

There's nothing wrong with house ruling of course, as long as all players agree.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After picking this game up this weekend and playing it twice now, I feel it is either a gem, with strategy I have yet to figure out, or somewhat flawed with it's existing rules. Could you post your house rules?
The flaw, if it exists, is the race for exploration path. Another post I read here mentioned the hostile Viceroy path, if you are a later player, which may be a fix. It appeared in first plays that there is too high a cost for aggressive play for the benefits realized.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodine
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topdeckgames wrote:
After picking this game up this weekend and playing it twice now, I feel it is either a gem, with strategy I have yet to figure out, or somewhat flawed with it's existing rules. Could you post your house rules?
The flaw, if it exists, is the race for exploration path. Another post I read here mentioned the hostile Viceroy path, if you are a later player, which may be a fix. It appeared in first plays that there is too high a cost for aggressive play for the benefits realized.


Were you playing with the 2nd edition (current) rules? If not, I uploaded a player aid in the files section that incorporates those rules which may be of help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I wasn't playing with the 2nd edition rules. I want this game to have a viable aggressive angle that is not mandatory. I'm thinking the 2nd edition rules may allow that, along with the rule I saw of pirates=merchants, also. This is a little backwards for me, as so many games recently have turned into mandatory military, like Meier's Civ and Eclipse. I would like to find an empire building or exploration game with a good balance, and viable multiple paths.

I love this era, I like the blind action playing mechanic, and the simplicity of design is great. I really really want this to work.

If I had a regular group to play this multiple times, which I don't, I would like to try different strategies to see if the "race" can be derailed. I wonder what effect a free blind advancement on the progress tracks would have? That could be interesting. For example, I don't see anyone getting to 10 on Economy.

Clearly the designer had in mind some semblance of historical parallels, but these countries were at each others' throats during most of the period depicted in the game. Ideally in this game, we would see an alternate history unfold with each play.

What I want to try, for an opening, is to advance the Logistics track, then Viceroy someone's explored territory, followed by colonization on the first turn. Maybe the existence of that threat will open up the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played this game several times, and found that playing aggressive is pivotal to winning.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.