Subject: Play Time... what's your speed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Law
Denmark
Kolding
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to Thunderstone, and am really enjoying it, but I have a question about how long an average game should take to play.

The box says 45 minutes, but all my games have been longer... much longer... over 2 hours inclusive of set up.

So my question is, will the game get much faster over time? Also, is there anything (besides just playing faster) I can do to speed the experience?

I've tried alternative Setups from the Rule Book, but so far, none of them have impacted the the Play Time.

Thanks,
-- Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience also suggests a 2 hour play time is more the norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
MickLaw wrote:
So my question is, will the game get much faster over time? Also, is there anything (besides just playing faster) I can do to speed the experience?

Playing time will decrease with experience, but we still run about 90 minutes for a 4 player game (~75 minutes with 3 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the cards/situation can affect the play time too, but my groups very first time playing a 4p of Thunderstone only took about an hour and a half, and we're quite chatty. In fact, we're always well beyond the estimated time for games.

2+ hours, while certainly not impossible, seems a bit high for the norm, in my opinion. I personally never take setup time into consideration though when playing a game.

You'll definitely get faster with a game like this though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
80 minutes, two player game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under 60 minutes for a two-player game.
Under 90 minutes for a four-player game.

But then again, we've played over 150 games of Thunderstone. So card familiarity really does speed things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels like either the Monsters are much harder in TS: Advance, or the Weapons/Heroes are weaker than in Classic Thunderstone. If anything other than a Level 1 monster ends up in the front rank, it takes a very long time before anyone can get to the 7+ damage usually needed to kill things.

I also feel like some of the Heroes are way more powerful than others (e.g. Criochan, the Glammercast, and the purple Wizard girl whose name I can't remember). But some of the other Heros are pretty crappy, even at level 2/3 (the Druid who can cancel a Battle Effect, and the Thief). So if you get a game with all crappy Heroes, without any good items, players will quickly stall. This is especially true if players buy the "wrong" cards, or don't rest often enough to thin out their junky cards.

I suspect that once players learn all the different cards, the game will speed up. I would guess that more than half the game is spent asking "what does that do?" and "can I see the Level 2 version of this hero?" or is spent trying to figure out if any Monsters have the word "Ambusher" on them in 4-point font.

2+ Hours for a first play sounds about right. And that assumes you don't have anyone prone to AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the box is a lie!
It can easily take 1.5-2 hrs, but no longer than that. Things start slow, but then you reach a point where you're batting things out left and right. Length depends on how long it takes to reach that point!

The wilderness side of the board definitely helps. If you're looking for a quicker game (don't have the time, are just learning), it's a great place to start. Still, a game will probably be up to 1.5 hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch Jones
England
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For solo play I'd say 45 minutes (including set up and take down) is about right. I've played 10+ times now though. 2p game (including teaching) took about 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quickest game played 30 minutes - longest game (with some fairly unhelpful cards in the original Thunderstone) lasted 2 hours!

I would say the average was about 60 minutes including setup and obligatory trash talking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bevin Bot

Michigan
msg tools
That's good to know. My first game was around 2hrs, but then we didn't know at the time that "defeated" just meant discarded not destroyed. Once we decided it did (as the game was starting to drag) it went much more quickly. Definitely seems heavily influenced by familiarity with the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.