Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched a few time lapse videos and would like to try this out for some of the games that our group plays. Any suggestions on the type of camera? What kind of set-up do people use?

I'm not sure if my camera has a time-lapse feature. Is there a way to do the time-lapse as a post processing event?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean time lapse where everything moves faster or stop motion where single photos are used to create the effect of movement?

They both require a lot of photos to be taken but time lapse requires a lot lot more.

Did you want the entire game included ie people moving pieces, playing cards etc

or a video where you see the pieces move and or cards played but no people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never done a time lapse video myself, but I think these are the features you need:

- The ability to take a photo every n seconds (for time lapse, not required for stop motion)
- A stable tripod or maybe a bean bag to support the camera. For stop motion, a very stable tripod is absolutely necessary, because a slight camera movement will be very visible in the result and you must operate the camera ever so often.
- Good and even lighting, and a manual lighting settings for the camera. If you allow the camera to set shutter speed and exposure automatically, like most cameras do all the time, the camera will balance the brightness across the whole image. If a player stands up and covers the window with his body, the camera will make the image brighter and you will have one image where everything looks brighter than on the other images of the video. Of course, if a player stands in front of your light source, everything will be suddenly darker, and this is why you need an even lighting.

For some Canon cameras, there is a "Canon Hackers Developer(s?) Kit" (CHDK) which gives you control over camera functions which are usually set automatically. Google for it, if you have a Canon. Something like this is probably available for other manufacturers as well. Note that Canon does not support the CHDK and you might encounter warranty issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
I was inspired to make my own mdoest time-lapse after seeing a really, really good one on this site (I'm having trouble finding it now, tough...). If you have a Canon SLR you can use the software it comes with to hook it up to the PC and program it to take a picture every x seconds. You can then use a program to stitch them all back together (apparently you can do with Picasa, which is free).

The main tricky part is the lighting - keeping it stable from shot to shot will make your timelapse look a lot better than mine here! (also, a nice vantage point for your camera would be awesome too)

Here's two nice guides, as well:
- http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/ultimate-guide-to-tim...
- http://improvephotography.com/1009/a-quick-guide-to-shooting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian O'Neill
Ireland
Castleconnell
Co.Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must try this myself. I would imagine a top down view of maybe just the board would look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jules: What music did you use for that video I really like it and want to purchase it on iTunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
Jules: What music did you use for that video I really like it and want to purchase it on iTunes.

It's Dance Floor by Eric Liniger. When you upload a video to youtube these days, it'll suggest (rights-free, I think) music about as long as your video that you can use. That's where it came from!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably want a better power source than the camera battery. There is some videos with adviceon youtube and lots of articles (except most of thoose are outside so again lighting) ah and ypur camera needsto be able to shoot woth the exact same settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For mine I just set up my video camera and then speed it up by 16 or 18 times in the editing software. Not sure if that helps though as it's completely different from how you're planning on doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can use MEncoder to convert an ordinary video file to one with fewer frames.

Doom 9 wrote:

mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=3 -vf framestep=250 -fps 6250 -ofps 25 input.m2t -o output.avi

Note the relation of framestep, ofps and fps: 250*25=6250. If you meant to encode every 10th frame (10x speedup instead of 250x), it would be -vf framestep=10 -fps 250 -ofps 25.

Quote from: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156516

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.